Kaep enhances his job prospects by taking on Betsy Ross

56 minutes ago, BoldBully said:

The shoe design drew concern from Kaepernick because the former NFL star said the early flag has connections to slavery,

so if connections to slavery is a good enough reason to pull the original flag, maybe Nike should stop selling their product in all the states that fought on the confederate side

Or just have the courage of their convictions and say that they no longer want anyone white to wear their shoes or products because white people did bad things hundreds of years ago

I'm done with Nike.  When your virtue signally is impossible to understand beyond "We don't like America, or Americans", maybe you've taken a wrong turn on the hard left highway

4 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I hope another shoe company releases their own version very quickly and makes a ton of money selling them.

I doubt they will as the same demographic concerns would exist. They are all targeting the same market.

But the point you raise is an interesting one, imo. With all the outrage Kaepernick has engendered, why hasn’t a competitor gone that route? I think it’s a rhetorical question given the above mentioned marketing constraints. 

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Right, because the young are mostly uneducated and gullible.

Be that as it may (or may not) be, that’s where Nike’s bread is buttered. And while they have diversified market segments globally and none outperforms the other in terms of revenue generated to any great degree, that age 15-40 demographic is where they are staking future, sustainable growth. 

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Not for nothing, but wouldn’t it be the Confederate “stars and bars” or the battle flag be the ones with ties to slavery, not the Ross flag?

That would make more sense. But in Kaepernick's world, there's a racist under any rock. He's a younger, blacker Joe McCarthy with a different paranoia, so the potential that literally EVERYTHING is racist is always there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

All right all right let's all calm down until we hear from Betsy herself. 

I just messaged her via Morse code

Molly Pitcher responded and said she wouldn't be commenting until Sybil Ludington was back from her horse riding

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He made some strong arguments for kneeling.  I didn't agree with them, and reasonable minds could.  But, this is too far.  Just completely absurd.  

Absurd? Absurd that this flag is used by the KKK and white supremacy groups? How dare anyone speak about this. While one can wonder how far it can go, this does have current relevancy.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Am I an uncultured swine because I don't know any of these names except Morse?

Molly Pitcher was the name given to the female who fought in the battle of Monmouth taking her husband's place after he was wounded

Sybil Ludington was the female Paul Revere who also had her own famous ride to warn of the British

My history degree coming in clutch today

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I suspect Nike’s marketing research, including various focus groups in their age 15-40 demographic, is more concerned about the co-opting and association of the Betsy Ross flag design by and with various white supremacy groups. More and more marketers have adopted zero tolerance policies in that regard in recent years. 

Except that nobody ever heard of the Betsy Ross flag being used for white supremacists before today.  Sort of like how the "OK" hand symbol morphed overnight into a white supremacy symbol, which, by the way, was a 4chan prank

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i am learning so much in this thread.  i don't really need to know any of it, but learning is happening.

You should take in my quick history lesson 2 Posts above 

You will learn more s*** you don't need to know

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dorquemada said:

Except that nobody ever heard of the Betsy Ross flag being used for white supremacists before today.  Sort of like how the "OK" hand symbol morphed overnight into a white supremacy symbol, which, by the way, was a 4chan prank

Most of us in the general public, yes. I think it’s likely that watchdog groups, people who are targets of white supremacists, and most likely Nike’s marketing machine became aware before today. 

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Am I an uncultured swine because I don't know any of these names except Morse?

Don't be silly.  That's not one of the reasons.

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Not for nothing, but wouldn’t it be the Confederate “stars and bars” or the battle flag be the ones with ties to slavery, not the Ross flag?

Kaep isnt the one choosing the flag. Read the thread and linked articles. Various White Nationalist groups have appropriated the flag. I think they finally wised up that the Confederate flag was too obvious a choice for their racism, so they are hiding behind our Revolutionary Flag. If you have a problem with it, take it up with them.

15 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Irony is a major tool of radicalizing youth. It's "just a joke" when they get caught, but they are dead serious otherwise.

The fact it's tied to 4chan doesnt make it any better, as that is a bastion of neo-Nazis as it is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Most of us in the general public, yes. I think it’s likely that watchdog groups, people who are targets of white supremacists, and most likely Nike’s marketing machine became aware before today. 

Or, alternatively, it's BS.  When everything is a symbol of racism, nothing is a symbol of racism.  It's exhausting having a peanut gallery of professional victims that spend all of their emotional energy screeching RACISM at every little thing.  Classic attention seeking behavior that shouldn't be encouraged.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Actually if the KKK or other hate groups are using this then yes I would make sure it gets pulled..

Nothing positive can happen if hate groups are using a symbol to push their agendas. If hate groups are commandeering these symbols for their agendas then its these hate groups that are causing this and Kaep is not wrong to point out the facts. Nike does not want to be associated with such groups and this is why they would pull the shoes not because Kaep said so, but because Kaep was able to point it out to them before they took a beating from the majority for aligning with hate groups

Now I do not know if the KKK and Identify Evropa are actually using this Betsy Ross flag, but if they are then attack those entities not Nike not Kaep. Because in this story the only thing I know is Nike felt strong enough to pull the shoes because of an association with these hate groups.

Edited by ddaryl

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Or, alternatively, it's BS.  When everything is a symbol of racism, nothing is a symbol of racism.  It's exhausting having a peanut gallery of professional victims that spend all of their emotional energy screeching RACISM at every little thing.  Classic attention seeking behavior that shouldn't be encouraged.

It's not "everything". And if you have a problem with it, take it up with the White Nationalists.

• Like (+1) 1