Kaep enhances his job prospects by taking on Betsy Ross

18 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Who is that? People who believe that the legacy of enslaving people still exists in this country?

Agree with him or not he has put his principles over personal gain. I personally respect people who are willing to take a stand for their beliefs (whether I share those beliefs or not) over people who just talk.

There is no way that Nathan Michael Peterman is a better QB than Kaep. There are multiple QBs albeit in backup roles who are far inferior QBs to Kaep.

I thought his actions were to protest recent law enforcement events that had disproportionately impacted certain racial demographics? 

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Colin Kaepernick began a new PR campaign for a job in the NFL.  He's taking on Betsy Ross and the original American flag now (you just can't make this <stuff> up):

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nike-pulls-betsy-ross-flag-shoes-after-kaepernick-complaint-report-n1025626

Probably better off to put this thread in the political forum, as that is where it will probably end up.

• Like (+1) 1

Nike has pulled a new Fourth of July shoe featuring Betsy Ross' flag for the 13 American colonies reportedly after Colin Kaepernick expressed concerns, sparking outrage among some conservatives and prompting the Arizona governor to announce his state will pull millions of dollars in financial incentives to the company.

Snowflakes triggered

In recent years, the Betsy Ross flag has been appropriated by the white nationalist group Identity Evropa and the Ku Klux Klan, who use it to represent a time when slavery was legal in the United States.

Blame these a-holes for ruining a nostalgic piece of history.

• Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Focus group data is in. Polarizing means there are two poles. 

The side that buy Nikes, and the patriotic, middle aged, blue collar, white males that don’t, never did and never will. 

I suspect they need to retrigger some pr.  The topic has lost steam and focus group attention I suppose. 

I rarely ever post on this site, because I like to use it as a fun way to keep in touch with the team and fans, but this type of post makes my blood boil. 

I am a white, middle aged, blue collar, veteran, and I find it disgusting that people think you have to be so against anything that this man does.  Why not have some stinking empathy for those that are being trivialized and marginalized in OUR society, and not get so upset because an African American man is using his that he earned as platform to try to stymie racial tension. 

Take a step back and imagine if a company like Nike or UA said they were going to make a new shoe that had a symbol that was used by people who targeted you, your family, your community.  How could you not say something?  How as someone who loves this country can you not be enraged that it is 2019 and we still have organized hate groups here.  That in the land of the free people are still hated just because of something so stupid as the color of your skin?  That is what we should be upset about.  

If you are offended by this shoe not being sold, I truly feel it is not because of your love of the flag, it is for hatred and ignorance of something else. If you do love the flag, you would never want it to be a symbol of hate.  Iif you disagree, you may want to take a long hard look in the mirror and ask yourself if you love is stronger than your ignorance.  

Most of us had no idea that the Betsy Ross flag was used as a sign of hate; even less knew that the shoes were even being made, so how are you so butt hurt when this is being stopped?  How does this infringe on your rights as a white, middle aged, blue collar man?  

Now the senator is going to cancel plans for a plant there, that is such a short sited, ignorant thing to do.  Now the local economy will suffer because a company will not support a hate group's symbol.  Ignorance and fear.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BoldBully said:

The shoe design drew concern from Kaepernick because the former NFL star said the early flag has connections to slavery,

so if connections to slavery is a good enough reason to pull the original flag, maybe Nike should stop selling their product in all the states that fought on the confederate side

I suspect Nike’s marketing research, including various focus groups in their age 15-40 demographic, is more concerned about the co-opting and association of the Betsy Ross flag design by and with various white supremacy groups. More and more marketers have adopted zero tolerance policies in that regard in recent years. 

52 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Who is that? People who believe that the legacy of enslaving people still exists in this country?

Agree with him or not he has put his principles over personal gain. I personally respect people who are willing to take a stand for their beliefs (whether I share those beliefs or not) over people who just talk.

There is no way that Nathan Michael Peterman is a better QB than Kaep. There are multiple QBs albeit in backup roles who are far inferior QBs to Kaep.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/net-worth/sports/colin-kaepernick-net-worth/

Mmkay. 

A marginalized starting QB who was benched for performance and was destined to life as a backup who is now a household name making millions to be a public icon? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

I rarely ever post on this site, because I like to use it as a fun way to keep in touch with the team and fans, but this type of post makes my blood boil. 

I am a white, middle aged, blue collar, veteran, and I find it disgusting that people think you have to be so against anything that this man does.  Why not have some stinking empathy for those that are being trivialized and marginalized in OUR society, and not get so upset because an African American man is using his that he earned as platform to try to stymie racial tension. 

Take a step back and imagine if a company like Nike or UA said they were going to make a new shoe that had a symbol that was used by people who targeted you, your family, your community.  How could you not say something?  How as someone who loves this country can you not be enraged that it is 2019 and we still have organized hate groups here.  That in the land of the free people are still hated just because of something so stupid as the color of your skin?  That is what we should be upset about.  

If you are offended by this shoe not being sold, I truly feel it is not because of your love of the flag, it is for hatred and ignorance of something else. If you do love the flag, you would never want it to be a symbol of hate.  Iif you disagree, you may want to take a long hard look in the mirror and ask yourself if you love is stronger than your ignorance.  

Most of us had no idea that the Betsy Ross flag was used as a sign of hate; even less knew that the shoes were even being made, so how are you so butt hurt when this is being stopped?  How does this infringe on your rights as a white, middle aged, blue collar man?  

Now the senator is going to cancel plans for a plant there, that is such a short sited, ignorant thing to do.  Now the local economy will suffer because a company will not support a hate group's symbol.  Ignorance and fear.  

I feel your point and thank you for your service.

my note wasn’t meant to be political. I was speaking more to Nike’s motives and corporate marketing machines decisioning around why they do what they do. 

I think it’s sad as hell that so many of my country men and women pay so much attention to Nike or Kaepernick.  

If people paid half as much attention to their elected officials our country would not only have new elected officials, it would be a better place to be a wage earner.....

Edited by Don Otreply

27 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

Well 300 million people means someones always offended about something.  But regardless I actually don't understand Kap's argument on this one (I can follow the kneeling).  By his logic, should we not honor the men who served and died during the American Revolution because that was also during the slave era?  Obviously that wouldn't make sense.

Final thought... don't ever believe that the driver for any decision that Nike makes is about anything other than dollars and cents.  They didn't halt production to show awareness to a social concern, they pulled the shoe due to public opinion impacting their stock price.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Pretty sure Nike's paranoid of those child slavery skelotons in their closet peaking out again... I think there's some heavy irony woven here.

There’s a lot to this and I appreciate you pointing it out. Unfortunately, Nike is far from alone in this travesty. 

If we really cared about this issue as a society, the exploitation of child labor on a global scale, we wouldn’t eat most of the chocolate or drink most of the coffee consumed on this planet. If we really cared about the dignity of laborers and the conditions they work in or the ridiculously low wage they are paid, we wouldn’t use half the products presently consumed; from electronics to clothing and everything in between.

The issue just doesn’t make us uncomfortable enough. For lots of reasons.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

This would better fit in PPP no?

PPP recognizes this as purely a capitalistic move by both Nike and Kaep. This belongs in the "using race for money" category. 

The big question is how this affects the stock price, long term. So far the investors and even consumers believe in this Kaep campaign, so it continues. 

Do you really think this shoe release and then Kaep "speaking up" thing was unplanned? Betsy Ross shoe? Really?

Nope, this is scripted. Enjoy the manipulation of consumers shew.  

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Personally, its dumb that we even still have to have these conversations of hate, equality, racism, etc in this day and age in supposedly "the best country in the world".  But sadly, its still rooted heavy in our society and all the political rhetoric that last 3 years has helped bring a lot back up to the surface.

We are further along then many other countries in the world, but Its just human nature to see differences. Hard to bring everyone together with so many different beliefs. Agreeing to disagree and letting everyone just be themselves(only in a non violent way) is prob the only way to all exist peacefully. Love not Hate people!

• Like (+1) 1