Kaep enhances his job prospects by taking on Betsy Ross

It's dumbfounding why Nike listens to Kapernick, who is an extremely polarizing figure that will never play football again.  And the few seasons he played, he had marginal success.  Nike is a huge international name, but pulling a shoe because Kaperdick cried is not a winning strategy. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 5

That's a bit much, I think. I mean, if you wanted, you could nitpick all sorts of things throughout history and eventually find some kind of negative connotation to it. I obviously don't agree with any white nationalist groups using that flag to identify their group/beliefs or whatever, but I also don't agree that it should be pulled off shelves just because it depicts a flag that was used during a time when slavery was legal. That's not what the flag is signifying. Kinda reminds me of how certain people wanna remove certain words from old books because they're offensive. That's just part of American history, you can't rewrite it now, you can only learn from it and move forward.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Hmmm, I think I'd be more upset at the KKK for using our flag as their symbol, and Nike for being such wusses, but that's just my take.  I actually had no idea they were using that flag as a symbol.  Disgusting stuff

Yeah, I'm with you.

11 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

It's dumbfounding why Nike listens to Kapernick, who is an extremely polarizing figure that will never play football again.  And the few seasons he played, he had marginal success.  Nike is a huge international name, but pulling a shoe because Kaperdick cried is not a winning strategy. 

Kaepernick is popular with Nike’s number one targeted demographic. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think this was a publicity stunt by Nike.  I've been on Kaep's side throughout the majority of his ordeal.

But this is stupid.  And to think that a company like Nike would listen to Colin Kaepernick, to me, is also stupid.

I'd be shocked if this entire Betsy Ross thing wasn't orchestrated.

Shameful.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Kaepernick is popular with Nike’s number one targeted demographic. 

I understand he is popular with a specific demographic.  The biggest problem I see is that Nike is so big, it has multiple demographics which may take exception to pulling a shoe because it has a Betsy Ross flag on it.  What if Nike becomes unpopular (for some reason) with a demographic?  If it loses others because of this instance, Nike could end up losing a lot of business, sponsors, etc and be replaced by New Balance, Adidas, Under Armor and the like...no shortage of competitors.  Nike will not go under, but it will have a PR problem that will take a while to resolve and business to win back.  

For example, Michael Jordan did not disparage political affiliations he did not agree with because he said those folks need to buy shoes, too.   The Air Jordan was successful and not polarizing...it simply targeted basketball players.

Brands of any product are wise to avoid targeting one primary group of people, and especially activists, since it is just not good business.  Focus on sports only.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I understand he is popular with a specific demographic.  The biggest problem I see is that Nike is so big, it has multiple demographics which may take exception to pulling a shoe because it has a Betsy Ross flag on it.  What if Nike becomes unpopular (for some reason) with a demographic?  If it loses others because of this instance, Nike could end up losing a lot of business, sponsors, etc and be replaced by New Balance, Adidas, Under Armor and the like...no shortage of competitors.  Nike will not go under, but it will have a PR problem that will take a while to resolve and business to win back.  

For example, Michael Jordan did not disparage political affiliations he did not agree with because he said those folks need to buy shoes, too.   The Air Jordan was successful and not polarizing...it simply targeted basketball players.

Brands of any product are wise to avoid targeting one primary group of people, and especially activists, since it is just not good business.  Focus on sports only.

You said you were dumbfounded and I was just offering some clarification. 

I appreciate all the food for thought in your post. I’ll leave that to you and others to discuss further. 

31 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Colin Kaepernick began a new PR campaign for a job in the NFL.  He's taking on Betsy Ross and the original American flag now (you just can't make this <stuff> up):

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nike-pulls-betsy-ross-flag-shoes-after-kaepernick-complaint-report-n1025626

1. Yeah, this is not a direction I would go if I was him and wanting to get a job back in the NFL.  Absolutely nothing wrong with his concerns, and many others had them too.  However, for a guy who was a political lighting rod to the point teams just wouldn't touch him, this is an arena he should stay out of if he wants any chance of getting an NFL Job (which at this point I think most likely will never happen).
  2. He is right though, and so are the others with the same concerns.  The racist under belly has ruined a lot of things by adopting it as a symbol of their hate campaign.  Even the Nazi Swastika used to be a peaceful symbol...confederate flag had its history "forgotten" and made its way into Southern culture before being reminded it was a flag of hate again thanks to the recent rise of white nationalism (at least public rise), etc etc.  

So while a lot of people will just see this flag for its historical value of a birth of this nation, there are plenty of people using it promote very negative agendas and will be seen as such by many as well.  

Personally, its dumb that we even still have to have these conversations of hate, equality, racism, etc in this day and age in supposedly "the best country in the world".  But sadly, its still rooted heavy in our society and all the political rhetoric that last 3 years has helped bring a lot back up to the surface.  And now we have to deal with things like this where people will see it differently like all those stupid "What color is the dress" type arguments.  Some see birth of a nation, others see the hate some people use this flag for.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Focus group data is in. Polarizing means there are two poles. 

The side that buy Nikes, and the patriotic, middle aged, blue collar, white males that don’t, never did and never will. 

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think this was a publicity stunt by Nike.  I've been on Kaep's side throughout the majority of his ordeal.

But this is stupid.  And to think that a company like Nike would listen to Colin Kaepernick, to me, is also stupid.

I'd be shocked if this entire Betsy Ross thing wasn't orchestrated.

Shameful.

I suspect they need to retrigger some pr.  The topic has lost steam and focus group attention I suppose. 

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Kaepernick is popular with Nike’s number one targeted demographic

Who is that? People who believe that the legacy of enslaving people still exists in this country?

Agree with him or not he has put his principles over personal gain. I personally respect people who are willing to take a stand for their beliefs (whether I share those beliefs or not) over people who just talk.

There is no way that Nathan Michael Peterman is a better QB than Kaep. There are multiple QBs albeit in backup roles who are far inferior QBs to Kaep.

6 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Who is that? People who believe that the legacy of enslaving people still exists in this country?

Agree with him or not he has put his principles over personal gain. I personally respect people who are willing to take a stand for their beliefs (whether I share those beliefs or not) over people who just talk.

There is no way that Nathan Michael Peterman is a better QB than Kaep. There are multiple QBs albeit in backup roles who are far inferior QBs to Kaep.

There may be some in that demographic who believe that, but that didn’t even enter my thought process and I’ve never considered that.  I’ll leave that to you and others to discuss. 

Again, the poster I responded to said he was “dumbfounded” as to the reason why Nike would listen to Colin Kaepernick’s advice. I merely offered some clarification as to possible reasons why.

There is absolutely NO editorial slant in my post and none was intended. 

• Like (+1) 1