Bills' Josh Allen should be on fantasy radar after strong 2018 finish (and others)

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/33327/bills-josh-allen-should-be-on-fantasy-radar-after-strong-2018-finish

Mike Rodak('s last piece?)

Josh Allen

Matthew Berry: QB: 19 | Mike Clay: QB: 23 (Overall: 220) | Tristan H. Cockcroft: QB: 22 | Eric Karabell: QB: 18 | Field Yates: QB: 21

Analysis: Allen finished 21st among quarterbacks last season despite playing in only 12 games. After he returned in Week 12 from an elbow injury, he scored the most PPR points (145.3) of any NFL quarterback and second-most points of any player. That was boosted by 476 rushing yards and five touchdowns after his return, both the most among quarterbacks. If Allen continues to run like he did late last season, these fantasy projections undersell him. However, the Bills would prefer that Allen be much more selective with his decisions to run in 2019. Ceding some rushing production to the Bills' backfield would temper Allen's fantasy expectations this season unless he can take a huge step forward 

Cole Beasley

Berry: WR: NR | Clay: WR: 78 (Overall: 216) | Cockcroft: WR: NR | Karabell: WR: NR | Yates: WR: 48

Analysis: Beasley seems to have flown under the radar, which is surprising given he finished 43rd among wide receivers last season in PPR scoring. Beasley's role as the slot receiver in Buffalo is rock solid; the question is how much Allen will opt to throw to Beasley over chucking it deep (Allen averaged the second-most air yards per throw last season) or running. If offensive coordinator Brian Daboll can pull from his New England roots and get Allen to use Beasley in the mold of Wes Welker or Julian Edelman, the potential for fantasy-relevant production exists.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Thanks for posting this.  

I dont think Allen is going to run nearly  as much as he did last year, much of it was out of necessity.  He SHOULD have a much better line and WRs, he should also be able to see his receivers better, notice coverage quicker etc.  Allen's running ability is no secret anymore, i thin DCs are gong to actively game plan against his running better.   What Allen might loss in running fantasy I think he can more than make up with better passing productivity.

Beasley is going to be interesting in Buffalo.  Allen has short yardage accuracy issues, wonder if he will improve on that this year with a dependable slot WR.  Beasley might be a great tool or wasted asset here, Rodak is correct a lot is on Daboll.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Thanks for posting this.  

I dont think Allen is going to run nearly  as much as he did last year, much of it was out of necessity.  He SHOULD have a much better line and WRs, he should also be able to see his receivers better, notice coverage quicker etc.  Allen's running ability is no secret anymore, i thin DCs are gong to actively game plan against his running better.   What Allen might loss in running fantasy I think he can more than make up with better passing productivity.

Beasley is going to be interesting in Buffalo.  Allen has short yardage accuracy issues, wonder if he will improve on that this year with a dependable slot WR.  Beasley might be a great tool or wasted asset here, Rodak is correct a lot is on Daboll.

I agree on  both bolded parts 

hopefully Josh has put his rookie mistakes behind 

Don't think I'll draft Josh, at least not in the first 10 rounds. I'll take Beasley in the last round. I think the Bills defense is going to pick up the sack numbers, along with more turnovers They should be good value late in the draft.

As a running QB, Allen should be on everyone's fantasy radar. It's the same reason why Tyrod Taylor was an ok fantasy QB, and why Cam Newton and Russel Wilson are good fantasy QB's. You get more points for running the ball.

Just now, Dopey said:

Don't think I'll draft Josh, at least not in the first 10 rounds. I'll take Beasley in the last round. I think the Bills defense is going to pick up the sack numbers, along with more turnovers They should be good value late in the draft.

I don't think any Bills player is worth drafting high. John Brown in the late rounds perhaps, along with McCoy. I doubt Beasley will get drafted in most drafts unless there is a Bills fan there to grab him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/33327/bills-josh-allen-should-be-on-fantasy-radar-after-strong-2018-finish

Mike Rodak('s last piece?)

Josh Allen

Matthew Berry: QB: 19 | Mike Clay: QB: 23 (Overall: 220) | Tristan H. Cockcroft: QB: 22 | Eric Karabell: QB: 18 | Field Yates: QB: 21

Analysis: Allen finished 21st among quarterbacks last season despite playing in only 12 games. After he returned in Week 12 from an elbow injury, he scored the most PPR points (145.3) of any NFL quarterback and second-most points of any player. That was boosted by 476 rushing yards and five touchdowns after his return, both the most among quarterbacks. If Allen continues to run like he did late last season, these fantasy projections undersell him. However, the Bills would prefer that Allen be much more selective with his decisions to run in 2019. Ceding some rushing production to the Bills' backfield would temper Allen's fantasy expectations this season unless he can take a huge step forward 

Cole Beasley

Berry: WR: NR | Clay: WR: 78 (Overall: 216) | Cockcroft: WR: NR | Karabell: WR: NR | Yates: WR: 48

Analysis: Beasley seems to have flown under the radar, which is surprising given he finished 43rd among wide receivers last season in PPR scoring. Beasley's role as the slot receiver in Buffalo is rock solid; the question is how much Allen will opt to throw to Beasley over chucking it deep (Allen averaged the second-most air yards per throw last season) or running. If offensive coordinator Brian Daboll can pull from his New England roots and get Allen to use Beasley in the mold of Wes Welker or Julian Edelman, the potential for fantasy-relevant production exists.

He is on my radar. Late  pick if my drafts go that way. I don't think you can go to wrong with him. What he may lack in passing yards and TD tosses he makes up in rushing points/TD's.

• Like (+1) 1

Everybody wants to see Josh run less this season, and I agree to an extent. We want him to develop as a passer, obviously, but also no one wants to see him get hurt when he runs with it. But, looking back at last season, I can't recall too many times where he was actually tackled when he ran. Most times he was able to slide or get out of bounds. So, he's smart and protects himself when he does go for it, so I really don't mind if he runs. Just as long as he's pretty sure he doesn't have anywhere to go with the ball or the OL breaks down.

21 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Everybody wants to see Josh run less this season, and I agree to an extent. We want him to develop as a passer, obviously, but also no one wants to see him get hurt when he runs with it. But, looking back at last season, I can't recall too many times where he was actually tackled when he ran. Most times he was able to slide or get out of bounds. So, he's smart and protects himself when he does go for it, so I really don't mind if he runs. Just as long as he's pretty sure he doesn't have anywhere to go with the ball or the OL breaks down.

fair point ....  he was tackled on The Leap play  IIRC 

If the opponents give him lanes to run, then go for it.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Allen's running ability is no secret anymore, i thin DCs are gong to actively game plan against his running better

We can only hope DCs game plan against Allen's running.  He's a 6'5" QB with a rocket arm and finally some decent receivers.  By all means, opponents, please take one of your defenders out of the play spying Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

his rushing yards make him a starter by themselves, then consider the added weapons.  Yeah, I"m taking him.  Esp. in my 2 QB league.  

I think he finishes the year a top 10 Fantasy QB at worst.  

Which makes him a marginal starter unless you are in a 2 QB league.

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

That's not exactly true. He took some hits going out of bounds, and Kiko tried to cheap shot him when he slid. But people seem to forget that QB's get hit in the pocket all the time too. In fact Allen was injured in the pocket last year, not on a scramble.

I am with you though. I want to continue to see Allen run the ball effectively. I don't care to see his rushing numbers diminish. I do think he'll be sure to avoid contact more. He seemed to get better at that as the year progressed.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

I’m thinking top 5 Fantasy QBs are Brady, Big Ben, Mahomes, Brees, and Wilson.  I think Allen is in play once those guys are off the board.  Who are you taking ahead of him?

Matt Ryan is usually one of the best fantasy QB's. Brady is not even a top 10 fantasy QB. I don't see him improving without Gronk. I believe he was 14th in points last year, which makes him a backup caliber QB. Wilson wasn't a top 5 QB last year either.

Watson, Rodgers, and Luck will probably be high up there. I bet Cam Newton makes a come back too.