WNY and the love of Blue Collar and Labbats Blue

Jrb1979

5 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Which is not a bad thing. A lot of micro brews are really good. Seeing some of the big brews slowly die down is a good thing. Light and bland tasting beer will be a thing of the past soon. 

Having a Blue Collar Identity is fine, what bugs me is how people want the Bills and Sabres to represent that. The fanbase can't stand talented me first kind of players that usually put your team over the top. Look at when the Bills were trying to get Antonio Brown and how a lot of Bills fans don't want a "DIVA"  like that on my team. The older Bills fanbase needs to live in the now and stop trying to keep things like they were in the past. 

I don't think whatever happened with the Antonio Brown deal had anything to do with what the fans may have said.  Fans are fans and will always have something to say, just part of being a fan.

5 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Which is not a bad thing. A lot of micro brews are really good. Seeing some of the big brews slowly die down is a good thing. Light and bland tasting beer will be a thing of the past soon. 

No it wont. I love IPA's but when it's 95 degrees and you just finished mowing, something with less bite is what I want. By and large I would guess there are still more Miller Lite and Coors Light drinkers out there than craft beer people. 

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I once ordered an $18 dollar beer at a bar down the road from me.  It was incredibly delicious...best beer I've ever had.  I wanted a second one but $36 on two beers....that could buy me 9 lite beers.

Was there a free cover charge and nekid ladies on stage?

10 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

The "blue collar" came from all the industrial plants, that are now mostly gone.  All those plants were surrounded by neighborhood bars, where the employees used to cash their checks.  They also paid their current bar tab and started a new one.  They drank whatever was "on tap;"  Iraquois, Manru, Schmidts, Kochs, Simon Pure, Carlings, etc.

They were happy with whatever was availablere after 8-10 hours in the mill/plant.  Can't imagine anyone of them having any interest in the modern craft beers. 

Hope we keep the Blue Collar ID.  Better than pencil neck.

I’m grabbing a latté and looking for my safe space after reading this post

14 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No.  Just 50 year old men talking about how athletic they were in high school.

Did you regale them with stories about how you scored 4 touchdowns in a single game when you played for Polk High?

On 7/2/2019 at 11:39 AM, Gugny said:

Like you ... if I'm drinking for an extended period of time, it will be primarily light beer.  I'll normally start off with 2-3 of the IPAs, or mix them in.  But I can't drink IPAs all day long.

Story time - Years ago, the company I worked for did a retreat for all employees and spouses, to the Thousand Islands/Alexandria Bay. I and several other 20-somethings started bar hopping at noon. I stuck with Blue Light. About 10pm that night, after drinking all afternoon/evening (not pushing myself because I knew it would be a long day, but I always had something in my hand) the open bar became a cash bar. In our foresight, we stocked up our table before the switch. So when the table ran out of light beers, I switched to regular (like Bud or something). That first non-light beer hit me hard. I was definitely done for the evening. Not sure how I would have been if I had not done light beers all day. 

22 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I once ordered an $18 dollar beer at a bar down the road from me.  It was incredibly delicious...best beer I've ever had.  I wanted a second one but $36 on two beers....that could buy me 9 lite beers.

My now wife and I were down in NYC a few years ago around Christmas and ducked into a hotel bar to warm up. A waitress immediately comes over with a drink menu. We were going to buy a drink until we saw the prices. I forgot the brand, something you'd never pay more than $5/bottle for, like Miller, they wanted over $10/bottle. And a glass of wine, which she knows her prices, they wanted more $$ for one glass of a particular brand, than she would pay for an entire bottle here in Syracuse. We left. 

Edited by Just Jack

On 7/3/2019 at 12:26 PM, Just Jack said:

Story time - Years ago, the company I worked for did a retreat for all employees and spouses, to the Thousand Islands/Alexandria Bay. I and several other 20-somethings started bar hopping at noon. I stuck with Blue Light. About 10pm that night, after drinking all afternoon/evening (not pushing myself because I knew it would be a long day, but I always had something in my hand) the open bar became a cash bar. In our foresight, we stocked up our table before the switch. So when the table ran out of light beers, I switched to regular (like Bud or something). That first non-light beer hit me hard. I was definitely done for the evening. Not sure how I would have been if I had not done light beers all day. 

My now wife and I were down in NYC a few years ago around Christmas and ducked into a hotel bar to warm up. A waitress immediately comes over with a drink menu. We were going to buy a drink until we saw the prices. I forgot the brand, something you'd never pay more than $5/bottle for, like Miller, they wanted over $10/bottle. And a glass of wine, which she knows her prices, they wanted more $$ for one glass of a particular brand, than she would pay for an entire bottle here in Syracuse. We left. 

Yeah, wine markups anywhere are among the worst.  Most places that sell by the glass will buy in a quantity where that first pour equates to their cost for the whole bottle.   That sucks. 

On 7/2/2019 at 12:23 PM, Jauronimo said:

Anyone else kinda burnt out on craft beer and cocktails?  I think I've had just about every craft, local, small batch, artisanal, cruelty free, organic, free range, fair trade beer and liquor out there.  The market is beyond saturated.  I hate to break it to you, but most local breweries and distilleries are garbage.  They do well because they're local and people don't know what quality looks like.  

I've actually begun to purchase the original beer that started me on "good" beers again: Good old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Alcohol is down to 5.5%, it's consistent, you know what you're getting, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/2/2019 at 7:11 AM, shrader said:

I think that love of Blue is going to slowly die off.  There's way too much available today thanks to the micro brew explosion.  It'll always be there, but once you have an entire generation of drinking who have been exposed to the current market, the tastes are going to shift.  Of course, Labatt will start to make other options as well.

I am with @LeviF91, light beers here forever. Ultra is now the 2nd highest selling beer in all the land.Hell, even the craft guys are all coming out with diet IPAs to compete with Ultra. My kid and his crew drink Bud or Miller Lite, with a few Natty lights thrown in. Even when he steals beer from beer fridge, he goes for the pilsners, not he good craft. Course that may be cause he thinks i only care about the crafts and not Bud Lights...but he be wrong!!

Also, kids under 25 are crushing the White Claws..and guys don't get chit for drinking them..HUGE market!!!!

On 7/2/2019 at 8:51 AM, Koko78 said:

I am in no way a beer snob, but Genesee beer (especially Genny Light) tastes like it comes from the Genesee river after Kodak has a major chemical spill.

Nah..Genesee is actually okay..and i have been drinking the Cream Ale again for the last 18 months..little sweet..but that style is roaring back and Genny Cream is the best one in the country..also i keep hearing this Genny Ruby Red Kolsch is pretty damn good for a nice summer beer..will be picking up a 12 of that next time in Wegmans.

Read some of the reviews on here..maybe change your mind a bit

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/302/1376/

8 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I've actually begun to purchase the original beer that started me on "good" beers again: Good old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Alcohol is down to 5.5%, it's consistent, you know what you're getting, etc.

and it comes in cans!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

and it comes in cans!!!!   (Sierra)

Yes it does! Great for canoeing.

My local brewery actually keeps a keg of Sierra at all times in the back for the staff to do sensory training on to make sure they are able to taste their own beer properly.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am with @LeviF91, light beers here forever. Ultra is now the 2nd highest selling beer in all the land.Hell, even the craft guys are all coming out with diet IPAs to compete with Ultra. My kid and his crew drink Bud or Miller Lite, with a few Natty lights thrown in. Even when he steals beer from beer fridge, he goes for the pilsners, not he good craft. Course that may be cause he thinks i only care about the crafts and not Bud Lights...but he be wrong!!

Also, kids under 25 are crushing the White Claws..and guys don't get chit for drinking them..HUGE market!!!!

Nah..Genesee is actually okay..and i have been drinking the Cream Ale again for the last 18 months..little sweet..but that style is roaring back and Genny Cream is the best one in the country..also i keep hearing this Genny Ruby Red Kolsch is pretty damn good for a nice summer beer..will be picking up a 12 of that next time in Wegmans.

Read some of the reviews on here..maybe change your mind a bit

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/302/1376/

and it comes in cans!!!!

It's because you're a lush and Genny Screamers are higher alcohol content (krausening).  LoL... And it's cheap.  Why I bring them back for the one Cubs fan here... He laps it up!  Cheap buzz without having to break the bank on fancy dancy brew...

Do they still sell the "pounders"... More bang for buck and chase the DTs away!  LoL...

?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois