WNY and the love of Blue Collar and Labbats Blue

Jrb1979

13 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I have always wondered why Buffalo loves the Blue Collar identity and their love of beers like Blue and Genny? There is far better beers out there then either of them. Give me Ellicottville or Saranac over either. 

I always wonder why people assume Buffalo loves the Blue Collar identity and love Genny and Blue.  It's stated over and over on TV or newspapers, but is it really true?

Edited by ricojes

Just now, Gugny said:

I keep IPA and light beer in my fridge at all times.

Like you ... if I'm drinking for an extended period of time, it will be primarily light beer.  I'll normally start off with 2-3 of the IPAs, or mix them in.  But I can't drink IPAs all day long.

that's exactly what i do.  i start with a good one or two for the taste, then go right for the light stuff.  i feel like i've been run over by a truck if i drink too many ipas.  i like them, but just a couple at a time.  i can actually drink vodka and feel far better the next day than ipas/heavier beers.  if you look in my fridge right now, i have a mix of sam adam summer brews, coors light, and those truly seltzer waters.  

Just now, teef said:

that's exactly what i do.  i start with a good one or two for the taste, then go right for the light stuff.  i feel like i've been run over by a truck if i drink too many ipas.  i like them, but just a couple at a time.  i can actually drink vodka and feel far better the next day than ipas/heavier beers.  if you look in my fridge right now, i have a mix of sam adam summer brews, coors light, and those truly seltzer waters.  

Are the seltzers sugar/carb free?

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Are the seltzers sugar/carb free?

i don't think they're sugar or carb free, but i assume the content is low.

just looked it up...100 calories, 2 g carbs, 1 gram sugar, 5% abv

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't think they're sugar or carb free, but i assume the content is low.

just looked it up...100 calories, 2 g carbs, 1 gram sugar, 5% abv

Just now, LeviF91 said:

Lo-carb and very crushable.  And at 5%abv not terrible for trying to get a buzz.

Thanks, gents.

Buffalo is a Blue Collar town... But that's changing.  It's going soft.  Next, they will be into firing single mothers on Friday and stocking IPA in their fridge while Jesus mows their lawn on Tuesday!

Disgusting!  Disgusting I tell you... How far BFLo has fall into the White Collar, pencil pushing abyss!

Remember when we were cooler dragging, Northern, Upstate "sweater wearers" who could sneak a 30 pack of Blue® ,into their parkas and STILL get into Rich!

Now we are IPA drinking snobs stuck in "2-Beer High Gear" who steal smokers from neighbors, shop Walmart on Weekends, and have poor Hey-Zeus struggle with the lawn on Tuesday!

Next thing you'll tell me is that only 17% of Bills fans can drive Manual!

Oh... @BringBackFergy @Cripple Creek this post was clearly pointed at @Gugny

/smh in disgust and disdain! DANKE SHOEN... I will struggle w/my own lawn on Tuesday!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I have always wondered why Buffalo loves the Blue Collar identity and their love of beers like Blue and Genny? There is far better beers out there then either of them. Give me Ellicottville or Saranac over either. 

I am in no way a beer snob, but Genesee beer (especially Genny Light) tastes like it comes from the Genesee river after Kodak has a major chemical spill.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Thanks, gents.

Disgusting!  

Just now, Koko78 said:

I am in no way a beer snob, but Genesee beer (especially Genny Light) tastes like it comes from the Genesee river after Kodak has a major chemical spill.

My father never drank Genny.  He worked on RR and said he'd piss in that river! 

6 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Lo-carb and very crushable.  And at 5%abv not terrible for trying to get a buzz.

some taste better than others, but they do go down nicely when it's hot out.

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Disgusting!  

My father never drank Genny.  He worked on RR and said he'd piss in that river! 

Hemlock Lake in Livingston County is the actual source of Rochester water... but that's not nearly as reflective or illustrative of the vile taste of Genny.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Koko78 said:

Hemlock Lake in Livingston County is the actual source of Rochester water... but that's not nearly as reflective or illustrative of the vile taste of Genny.

Actually... I bring Genny Screamers for a guy at work!  He laps that ***** up!  But he's a 30 something Cubs fan!

LoL... 

FWIW... Genny ain't bad on tap.

little genny story for everyone.  a few years ago, our friend had a party with a lot of cheap, light beer around.  we decided to do a taste test.  i don't remember all the beers, but i know there was a mix of bud light, genny, coor and i'm assuming blue.  the winner on multiple occasions...genny.  people hear the name genny and want to be disgusted with it.  it's like any other light beer.

People tend to have pride in where they're from especially when the rest of the country uses Buffalo as the butt end of cheap jokes and Buffalo is a city which was built on blue collar jobs.  Labatt's main distribution and production is in Buffalo and Genny is made an hour down I-90 in Rochester.  People like cheap beer.  People like local.

Is this really a mystery?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

This is incorrect.  Light beer will always have a place.  You even see some micro-breweries making light beers now.

Bland tasting?  Yeah that might slowly die off.  But a cheap 30 rack is a godsend to the tailgater/BBQ-er who wants to share and doesn't want to be hungover by 2:00pm.

Pretty sure OP was legally allowed to drink within the last 12 months and just had his first Stella/Heineken.  Now hes here to tell us all about this new thing called craft beer.  

• Haha (+1) 4

Genny was cheap to drink if you were short on cash 

11 minutes ago, teef said:

little genny story for everyone.  a few years ago, our friend had a party with a lot of cheap, light beer around.  we decided to do a taste test.  i don't remember all the beers, but i know there was a mix of bud light, genny, coor and i'm assuming blue.  the winner on multiple occasions...genny.  people hear the name genny and want to be disgusted with it.  it's like any other light beer.

I have never had a lite beer.   I'd rather a beer gut that drink watered down swill  

Anyone else kinda burnt out on craft beer and cocktails?  I think I've had just about every craft, local, small batch, artisanal, cruelty free, organic, free range, fair trade beer and liquor out there.  The market is beyond saturated.  I hate to break it to you, but most local breweries and distilleries are garbage.  They do well because they're local and people don't know what quality looks like.  

Now the better craft brews from other parts of the country which used to be readily available on tap at my go to spots have been muscled out by local mediocrity.  And its 105 degrees outside.  I'll take a bucket of them beers with the blue mountains on the can or a zima. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Pretty sure OP was legally allowed to drink within the last 12 months and just had his first Stella/Heineken.  Now hes here to tell us all about this new thing called craft beer.  

Hate to break it to you but I have been legally allowed to drink for 25 years now. I have never like Blue or Genny.  Yeungling is my go to if I am tailgating or at a party. Goes down easy and is good tasting. 

24 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

People tend to have pride in where they're from especially when the rest of the country uses Buffalo as the butt end of cheap jokes and Buffalo is a city which was built on blue collar jobs.  Labatt's main distribution and production is in Buffalo and Genny is made an hour down I-90 in Rochester.  People like cheap beer.  People like local.

Is this really a mystery?

Cheap is what Genny and Blue taste like. There is much better local stuff then either one of those two. Big Ditch or Ellicottville is far better tasting. 

34 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Anyone else kinda burnt out on craft beer and cocktails?  I think I've had just about every craft, local, small batch, artisanal, cruelty free, organic, free range, fair trade beer and liquor out there.  The market is beyond saturated.  I hate to break it to you, but most local breweries and distilleries are garbage.  They do well because they're local and people don't know what quality looks like.  

Now the better craft brews from other parts of the country which used to be readily available on tap at my go to spots have been muscled out by local mediocrity.  And its 105 degrees outside.  I'll take a bucket of them beers with the blue mountains on the can or a zima. 

Zima    LOL  I remember those   

29 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Hate to break it to you but I have been legally allowed to drink for 25 years now. I have never like Blue or Genny.  Yeungling is my go to if I am tailgating or at a party. Goes down easy and is good tasting. 

the only people I know that drink Yeungling are Pennsyltuckians 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan