Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bakin

Roof or No Roof?

Roof or No Roof?  

323 members have voted

  1. 1. New Stadium - Roof or No Roof?

    • Roof
      170
    • No Roof
      153


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

with the cost of a retractable roof i would say just a solid roof but not necessarily complete. allow the cold but keep out most of wind.

How much does it cost to add a roof?

How much more to make it retractable?

Will the extra cost pay for itself in an expansion of its usage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Heitz said:

 

 

Animated fly-through of the Minny stadium...

 

That is the coolest looking stadium in the league. I’ve been to neither, but I’d see a game there before Jerry World. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, billykay said:

How much does it cost to add a roof?

How much more to make it retractable?

Will the extra cost pay for itself in an expansion of its usage?

you make a valid point- i can not imagine the retractable roof will be worth 100 million in extra opportunities so i like the idea of a fixed roof.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

...or maybe the w-l record in the playoffs has something to do with the fact that the dome team is going on the road...and more than likely an underdog. ;)

 

Not sure I'm following .. yes obviously a dome team is on the road most likely is playing outside ...but one could say based on below stat

 

Since NFL realignment in 2002, home teams have dominated the divisional round, winning 43 of 64 games (67 percent). Only three times, however, have home teams swept all four games. There have been six 2-2 splits.

 

That dome teams bring down this average or better said if you removed the dome team losses .. the percentage would be less dominating for home field advantage. 

Losses

  • Most Postseason Games Lost, All-Time, 29
Minnesota Vikings
  • Longest Losing Streak, 9 games
Detroit Lions, 1991, 1993–95, 1997, 1999, 2011, 2014, 2016[4]
14 hours ago, mead107 said:

No roof 

 

Yes .. .medical studies show stromboli is digested better outdoors post consumption than in a climate controlled environment.  Hope all is well Rande .. see you with my son in December once again!

Edited by WideRightRevenge
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

100% against a roof!!! 

 

Went to Lucas oil last year interested in what a domed experience would be like.... walking from a nice crisp morning into a room temp stadium COMPLETELY sucked. Took the life right out of the gameday experience IMO. 

 

Heck, my wife can’t stand the cold and she even agreed with me. 

 

I absolutely love a sharp crisp day at the Ralph where I can see my breath as I’m standing there at my seats watching warm ups. 

 

 

As a fan that goes to 4-6 home games a year I can say, WITHOUT A DOUBT, they will lose my wife and I for multiple games a season if a dome goes up downtown. In fact I legitimately don’t know anyone out of the group of 10-15 people that I tailgate with that are on board for a move downtown inside a dome. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

 

Not sure I'm following .. yes obviously a dome team is on the road most likely is playing outside ...but one could say based on below stat

 

Since NFL realignment in 2002, home teams have dominated the divisional round, winning 43 of 64 games (67 percent). Only three times, however, have home teams swept all four games. There have been six 2-2 splits.

 

That dome teams bring down this average or better said if you removed the dome team losses .. the percentage would be less dominating for home field advantage. 

Losses

  • Most Postseason Games Lost, All-Time, 29
Minnesota Vikings
  • Longest Losing Streak, 9 games
Detroit Lions, 1991, 1993–95, 1997, 1999, 2011, 2014, 2016[4]

 

Yes .. .medical studies show stromboli is digested better outdoors post consumption than in a climate controlled environment.  Hope all is well Rande .. see you with my son in December once again!

 

Home teams have always dominated, usually because they almost always were the better team, that’s why they get the home playoff game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, row_33 said:

 

Home teams have always dominated, usually because they almost always were the better team, that’s why they get the home playoff game 

 

Sensible takes aren't allowed here, man. :P

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an open-air stadium guy. Different vibe/atmosphere. I'd be ok with a roof that is left open for football games, but can be closed for other events as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Pretty close poll. 

55% favouring a Dome. 

I wonder what percent of those who favour a Dome live in Buffalo vs those who do not. 

 

As a first year season ticket holder holder who lives a good 5+ hours away...I’m really not sure what I want.

 

Actually, I want what the people of Buffalo want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

I'm an open-air stadium guy. Different vibe/atmosphere. I'd be ok with a roof that is left open for football games, but can be closed for other events as needed.

 

I’m with you for the most part. Unfortunately, it seems most domes are closed unless the weather is perfect. That is NOT what I want. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Augie said:

 

I’m with you for the most part. Unfortunately, it seems most domes are closed unless the weather is perfect. That is NOT what I want. 

Yeah. I understand the need for a roof to attract concerts and other events to help pay for the costs of said new stadium. But I don't want to lose the atmosphere on Sundays in the fall. 

Or, just keep the stadium that we have, which is my overall preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Yeah. I understand the need for a roof to attract concerts and other events to help pay for the costs of said new stadium. But I don't want to lose the atmosphere on Sundays in the fall. 

Or, just keep the stadium that we have, which is my overall preference.

 

I have no burning desire for a new stadium. I thoroughly enjoy games at New Era in OP. But I think there is a change in our future, and I won’t condemn it before even seeing it as some seem to be doing. I get that most people hate change. People should give it a fair chance before deciding if they like it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

 

Sensible takes aren't allowed here, man. :P

 

i could say my memory of almost every playoff game after wild card weekend from 1973 to around 2002 was a complete massacre of the visiting team

 

and then the NFC tore the AFC to shreds for the majority of SBs.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Augie said:

 

That is the coolest looking stadium in the league. I’ve been to neither, but I’d see a game there before Jerry World. 

I’ve been to games at both and they’re both really well done. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Augie said:

 

I have no burning desire for a new stadium. I thoroughly enjoy games at New Era in OP. But I think there is a change in our future, and I won’t condemn it before even seeing it as some seem to be doing. I get that most people hate change. People should give it a fair chance before deciding if they like it or not.

I've given other domed stadiums a chance as well as other venues in more urban settings. not nearly the gameday experience as in orchard park. in fact the dome completely sucked IMO... I don't hate change. I would just hate it if that particular experience changed. I know my wife and I are just one couple but its a couple that would move our attendance down from 5 to 6 games a year to 1 or 2 at the most. I have no desire to drive 90 min from home and sit in a dome that has the same gameday feel as my living room.

 

i'm extremely surprised the poll is swayed for a roof at this point. I honestly have never talked to one single fan in person that has said they would want a dome or anything downtown.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I've given other domed stadiums a chance as well as other venues in more urban settings. not nearly the gameday experience as in orchard park. in fact the dome completely sucked IMO... I don't hate change. I would just hate it if that particular experience changed. I know my wife and I are just one couple but its a couple that would move our attendance down from 5 to 6 games a year to 1 or 2 at the most. I have no desire to drive 90 min from home and sit in a dome that has the same gameday feel as my living room.

 

i'm extremely surprised the poll is swayed for a roof at this point. I honestly have never talked to one single fan in person that has said they would want a dome or anything downtown.

 

I voted "roof," based on what I think they "should," do for business purposes.

 

As much as many here opine that Buffalo doesn't have the infrastructure or the accommodations necessary to host a Super Bowl, I don't buy it.  I do, however, believe that they'll never be considered to be a Super Bowl host if it's an open-air stadium.

 

I'm with you, as far as personal preference goes.  I'd much rather sit in an open-air stadium than one that is enclosed (roof or dome).  I've never watched a football game in a closed-roof stadium, but I have been to a baseball game with a closed roof.  Totally kills the atmosphere, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

 

I voted "roof," based on what I think they "should," do for business purposes.

 

As much as many here opine that Buffalo doesn't have the infrastructure or the accommodations necessary to host a Super Bowl, I don't buy it.  I do, however, believe that they'll never be considered to be a Super Bowl host if it's an open-air stadium.

 

I'm with you, as far as personal preference goes.  I'd much rather sit in an open-air stadium than one that is enclosed (roof or dome).  I've never watched a football game in a closed-roof stadium, but I have been to a baseball game with a closed roof.  Totally kills the atmosphere, IMO.

100% agree.... we went down to indy for the colts game. stayed there with an old college buddy for the weekend. beautiful brisk 45 degree walk up to the stadium and then you walk in the front doors and it feels like you are in a mall. totally sucked IMO.

 

 

I also get all your points about the business side. as a fan i'm greedy about it though, and I realllllyyy don't wanna see a dome. I could deal with down town, although it would just become like any other tailgate experience around the league..... I really cant stand the thought of climate control though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

100% agree.... we went down to indy for the colts game. stayed there with an old college buddy for the weekend. beautiful brisk 45 degree walk up to the stadium and then you walk in the front doors and it feels like you are in a mall. totally sucked IMO.

 

 

I also get all your points about the business side. as a fan i'm greedy about it though, and I realllllyyy don't wanna see a dome. I could deal with down town, although it would just become like any other tailgate experience around the league..... I really cant stand the thought of climate control though.

 

Funny you say "mall."  It's the exact word I used to describe the atmosphere at Marlins Park.

 

I've said in other threads that if they take away the ability for fans to bring their own beverages, grills, smokers, etc., to tailgates, that I'll stop going to games.  I drive 5+ hours one way to get to Orchard Park.  Frankly, the game is #2 on my list of things to do.  Tailgating is what I enjoy most.  I'm not driving all that way and spending the money to go to some stiff ass tailgate where I need to buy concession food.  Eff that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

 

Funny you say "mall."  It's the exact word I used to describe the atmosphere at Marlins Park.

 

I've said in other threads that if they take away the ability for fans to bring their own beverages, grills, smokers, etc., to tailgates, that I'll stop going to games.  I drive 5+ hours one way to get to Orchard Park.  Frankly, the game is #2 on my list of things to do.  Tailgating is what I enjoy most.  I'm not driving all that way and spending the money to go to some stiff ass tailgate where I need to buy concession food.  Eff that.

right. and through a lot of these awful years its really the only thing that's been drawing me back over and over again.

 

heck, anytime I have people that know me and their team is playing ours up in orchard park they practically beg me to make room for them to go up and tailgate. I've been to 6 different NFL stadiums at this point and Lambeau in the only one I can say even holds a candle to our atmosphere. it was REALLY cool there..... I just really don't wanna lose that.

 

5 hours...…. god bless you. theres times my 90 minutes feels endless after a game.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For all the die-hard outdoor fans who say they will not go downtown to a dome, that will not really be a factor if Bills/NFL studies show you would be replaced by fans who do not want to sit outside in crap weather etc etc......especially late season cold games when many of these diehards stay home.

 

Those fans who want to sit in climate control I would venture a guess are the ones who have more money, spend more money, and would not care if they tailgated in areas where they must buy most of their food and drink.

 

Hopefully the team can accommodate most by building one like MN has but making ample room for tailgating. I have been to MN and you do not feel like you are inside. It is amazing. If Bills put even more of the roof as the PTE glass than MN did and make it more like LA and LV roofs, and, make even more panels that swing open, along with Buffalo historical connection of some kind in good taste so as not to make it feel like a mall,(architecture, style, food, mini Niagra Falls somewhere? huge bison on the plaza outside, wagons circling the other plaza on opposite side etc etc) they could have a great stadium.

Edited by cba fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say a retractable roof. This way stadium could be used year round, host a super bowl and let in lovely fall air and sunshine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is some, but not enough discussion here about cost.

 

I notice many of the "roof" voters reside outside Erie County. It's always fun to have an open wallet with OPM (other people's money). But when it's your own wallet being raided to pay for the stadium, you a become a little more circumspect about what features come along and how much they cost.

 

Don't be naive. Don't fool yourself--if you live in Erie County, one way or another the stadium cost is being passed on to you. There aren't rich guys with sacks of cash, or government slush funds to defray from the cost. There's no magical accountant tricks. And cost isn't going to be a drop in the bucket. It will be something that will impact your budget (unless you're on welfare or a refugee).

 

A 20 year construction bond on a 1.5 billion stadium will have a 9 million monthly payment.

 

Every man, woman and child in the county will pay $116 per year in increased taxes. No small change if you're a family of five.

 

I'm not opting for a roof without some argument for it's return on investment. Would it lead to other events, such as winter concerts? 

 

PS: Lucas Oil Field at $750 mil a couple years ago has been proposed as a benchmark. No way that happens in WNY. Too much graft and corruption.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Keep in mind that PSLs are usually amortized over a number of years. So a $1K PSL might end up hitting you as a $20/ticket surcharge over 5 seasons.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...