Roof or No Roof?

Bakin

Roof or No Roof?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. New Stadium - Roof or No Roof?

• Roof
    • No Roof

8 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

My most preferable option is exactly as you describe and I often use Centurylink Field as the example/standard.  It seems like we get the best of all worlds.  It is unique, has a roof and protection from elements, outdoor, projects noise, and many of the creature comforts of a new stadium, but still game-centric.  The costs are also fairly reasonable... roughly half of what building a Minnesota-stadium would cost.  

I wouldn't be completely against a "Seattle style" stadium, could be a happy-medium.  Though my preference is still a Minny style, DT, costs be dammed (the Pegula's want to leave a legacy...) ?

I just hope that they wherever they land with the Roof / No Ceilings debate, they build something stylish and unique for Buffalo.  Give me a signature piece, a shine for the Bills and the city of Buffalo!  The last thing I'd want to see is another cinderblock warehouse like Indy.  Just what the world needs...

I mean, WTH, if you're going to spend $600M on a new building in Buffalo, let's at least make the thing COOL!! :D

21 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Do the packers, Steelers, or pats ever have trouble filling their seats in the cold months? ...That’s a hard “NO”. 

I think for cheeseheads they have a natural layer of blubber like whales or polar bears so that does not count.

I am a Packer fan but not a cheesehead.  Only belly not covering layer.

Oh and on the run to Hartford effort the P*ts were going to get a dome.

56 minutes ago, Heitz said:

I wouldn't be completely against a "Seattle style" stadium, could be a happy-medium.  Though my preference is still a Minny style, DT, costs be dammed (the Pegula's want to leave a legacy...) ?

I just hope that they wherever they land with the Roof / No Ceilings debate, they build something stylish and unique for Buffalo.  Give me a signature piece, a shine for the Bills and the city of Buffalo!  The last thing I'd want to see is another cinderblock warehouse like Indy.  Just what the world needs...

I mean, WTH, if you're going to spend $600M on a new building in Buffalo, let's at least make the thing COOL!! :D

A friend of mine was an architect and he was commissioned to do a new stadium design for Bills (design not entire architecture plans). 

His plans had an open roof but sides slanted over stands partially protecting vs precipitation with snow and rain designed to slide down side and with snow pile up along sides.

It partially protected against wind as well although he said it could cause a wind tunnel affect in certain weather conditions.

It was beautiful, architecturally possible and unique.  He told me Bills held rights if they choose to use it the decision is up to them.

He died last season from brain cancer.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think for cheeseheads they have a natural layer of blubber like whales or polar bears so that does not count.

I am a Packer fan but not a cheesehead.  Only belly not covering layer.

Oh and on the run to Hartford effort the P*ts were going to get a dome.

If they ever do away with that stadium it will be a damned travesty. I went last year and my god that was just the ultimate gameday stadium and vibe. What a place. 

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

That's the same thing they said at the advent of the forward pass, plastic helmets, facemasks, and artificial turf.  If football lost its soul, it did so long before the Astrodome.

I mean, let's not kid ourselves. The quality of game itself has been on a massive decline since the eighties.

Edited by BullBuchanan

4 hours ago, Heitz said:

The overhang in Seattle makes the most sense.   It's also a style used in European soccer stadiums.  And I would bet a new joint would look a lot like one of those venues.  Modern, stylish and functional.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/1/2019 at 9:13 PM, Rc2catch said:

Although my game days are over in the buffalo area I would still go with the roof. Years ago I wanted them to peg a new stadium in the Lewiston area as close to the border as possible. In my older years I realize that probably wouldn’t work out too well and of course have no clue what shape Niagara Falls/ town of niagara/ Lewiston is in these days. I just always felt that area needed the infusion of surrounding businesses a stadium would undoubtedly bring. If/when they do a new stadium I will make the trip to come see it though 

My only issue with a roof is on TV the game seems dead to me. It probably doesn't apply to everyone, but watching games in the old Minnesota dome, the Superdome, Atlanta, they just all seem dead to me. The lighting just doesn't seem right, the crowd can be as raucous as ever. 

I hated the games in the Rodger's centre, they were dead crowds. But the dome games for some reason just put me to sleep it's all off.

That said, I won't be mad if they build a stadium with a roof. It just always seems off to me on TV no matter who is playing.

16 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

how on earth did you get that from what I've said. that's not the case in the least.... I feel threatened by the thought of my gameday experience being ruined by having to sit indoors.... in which case there is no way in hell i'm paying more for a worse experience. at least not for the 5 or 6 times a year i'm going now.  i'm telling you even if the prices were the same as they are now I wouldn't be inclined to go sit in a dome. price isn't the issue here.

hell, I would have no problem paying more for the same dang stadium if it ensured it stays outside.... call me old school I guess? I dunno. watching football in a dome feels really unnatural to me. I was actually really looking forward to my first dome game last year in lucas oil and as I walked into the stadium from a beautiful brisk fall day I realized immediately it pretty much sucked. I guess maybe that's just me.

Yes.  It would be a shame if the beautiful fall days are not part of a Bills game.  The cold is only a big issue 2-3 games a year.  In Buffalo, snow is an issue 5 months so most people are used to the outside winter activities (skiing, skating, snowboarding, sledding, etc).  I vote no roof, and fix up the OP site.  Inside football just isn't the same.  Even a roof that opens a small opening is artificial.  The Toronto dome gets it right, but that one is unrealistic for football.  Go Bills!!  

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

I now live in Los Angeles, so all the teams play outdoors.

It's not just the weather. It's the way it looks, with no sunlight even during the day, and no change throughout the game. 

I don't like it at all.

Well I hate to disappoint you but the new Inglewood stadium has a roof. 

I still am a roof guy. Sick of myself fighting the elements takes away from my game experience. Also I want to watch elite athletes in optimal conditions. Weather takes that ability away. So Roof it is for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

I would venture to say that Buffalo is more likely to lose it's team than for Los Angeles to lose both of theirs (not to mention the major college teams).

I bet you're wrong...annnnnnnnd, I win.  Both the Rams and the Raiders have left LA, the Bills have never left Buffalo. :D:beer:

And there's nothing like a football game in LA, in an outdoor stadium - the visitors side during the Bills / Chargers game at StubHub was like watching from the surface of the sun after a couple hours (could have been the game though...).  I was so relieved during Dew Tour in Long Beach a few weeks ago when it was 75, not 90! ?

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I still am a roof guy. Sick of myself fighting the elements takes away from my game experience. Also I want to watch elite athletes in optimal conditions. Weather takes that ability away. So Roof it is for me. 

realistically how many crap weather games a year are in buffalo taking that away? 1? 2?.... and isn't football, at its foundation, supposed to be elite athletes showing skill in the elements/outdoors?

also i'm not trying to be a jerk here. your points are reasonable. but maybe prep a bit better for gameday? I go with plenty of layers, feet and hand warmers, fire ring or heaters for tailgating and have never had an issue... one exception being early winter games if its not snowing yet and you are getting rained on. I will concede those games can be a bit miserable. but even a good quality poncho combats that fairly well.

20 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

realistically how many crap weather games a year are in buffalo taking that away? 1? 2?.... and isn't football, at its foundation, supposed to be elite athletes showing skill in the elements/outdoors?

also i'm not trying to be a jerk here. your points are reasonable. but maybe prep a bit better for gameday? I go with plenty of layers, feet and hand warmers, fire ring or heaters for tailgating and have never had an issue... one exception being early winter games if its not snowing yet and you are getting rained on. I will concede those games can be a bit miserable. but even a good quality poncho combats that fairly well.

I get your point and I used to be good with that. However, now older, married and spend a TON of cash every year to bring my wife and Kiddos with me to the games. So yep sick of fighting those elements and seeing elite athletes try to play a game in the Snow like Indy. Or even have to move a home game somewhere else because of weather. 

So put the roof on. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Heitz said:

I bet you're wrong...annnnnnnnd, I win.  Both the Rams and the Raiders have left LA, the Bills have never left Buffalo. :D:beer:

And there's nothing like a football game in LA, in an outdoor stadium - the visitors side during the Bills / Chargers game at StubHub was like watching from the surface of the sun after a couple hours (could have been the game though...).  I was so relieved during Dew Tour in Long Beach a few weeks ago when it was 75, not 90! ?

Yeah, I know the history. That was then, this is now.

Regardless, I'm not onboard with a dome stadium 

I am really torn on this. Some of the most enjoyable experiences I have had at the stadium were during snow games. Otoh, i wish I was indoor during plenty of cold rain/sleet games. 

If they consistently win, I will go no matter where they end up playing.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:32 PM, TheFunPolice said:

Beautiful fall day in WNY and everyone has to sit inside a dark airplane hangar for a football game....

Totally gross. Buffalo Bills football belongs outside.

I heard the gov't is working on a secret new invention that recently leaked out to my sources.

working project name is: LIGHTS

On 7/9/2019 at 12:13 PM, OJ Tom said:

I now live in Los Angeles, so all the teams play outdoors.

It's not just the weather. It's the way it looks, with no sunlight even during the day, and no change throughout the game. 

I don't like it at all.

not for long. I heard a rumor that the new stadium for Rams Chargers will have a fixed roof.

Same with Raiders they will have clear roof.

On 7/5/2019 at 2:32 PM, TheFunPolice said:

Beautiful fall day in WNY and everyone has to sit inside a dark airplane hangar for a football game....

Totally gross. Buffalo Bills football belongs outside.

There is this new technology called Windows, they are apparently see through and if use properly offer Tons of Natural Light.  Even the Bills used this ground breaking technology in their new fitness and recovery center.