Roof or No Roof?

Bakin

Roof or No Roof?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. New Stadium - Roof or No Roof?

• Roof
    • No Roof

13 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

100% false. I can confidently tell you that if they build a dome I will cut my attendance from the 5 or 6 games I usually go to a year to MAYBE 1 to 2. I feel no desire to drive 90 min from home just to walk into a stadium that has the same climate feel as my living room. 

After attending a domed game last year, I personally cannot stand the thought of it. Give me the outdoor gameday feel or I’ll most likely just stay home.... While I can’t speak for everyone I know plenty that feel the exact same way. 

It’s a really simple concept. Just win. There’s nothing that will dictate attendance more than that. 

Do the packers, Steelers, or pats ever have trouble filling their seats in the cold months? ...That’s a hard “NO”. 

Once again, this is not about filling seats. It’s about getting fans who are paying higher prices to fill them. For every fan who shares your opinion on a climate controlled facility, it’s probable that there are 5 who would attend and pay high prices to do so in such a building. But hey , it’s simple right? Just become one of the two or three winningest franchises in the NFL. Not a predictable business model to follow there. If a team could just go grab a Roethlisberger or a Brady when they wanted to, they’d all be doing it. You need predictability, and selling seats outdoors in brutal Buffalo weather is a challenge. How much more are you willing to pay for a seat in the current building?

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Once again, this is not about filling seats. It’s about getting fans who are paying higher prices to fill them. For every fan who shares your opinion on a climate controlled facility, it’s probable that there are 5 who would attend and pay high prices to do so in such a building. But hey , it’s simple right? Just become one of the two or three winningest franchises in the NFL. Not a predictable business model to follow there. If a team could just go grab a Roethlisberger or a Brady when they wanted to, they’d all be doing it. You need predictability, and selling seats outdoors in brutal Buffalo weather is a challenge. How much more are you willing to pay for a seat in the current building?

I think you underestimate how many people enjoy an outdoor game. like I said, the whole crew I go up with basically feels the same way. I guess the 20 or so of us are the minority?????

i'm telling you they would lose my attendance even if they made the dome and kept the prices the same.... if they raised them? yaaaa, I wont be attending much of anything. the dome experience completely sucked IMO.... heck, my wife thoroughly dislikes the winter games we go to and she even said she preferred the open air in the winter to the game we attended in lucas oil.

30 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think you underestimate how many people enjoy an outdoor game. like I said, the whole crew I go up with basically feels the same way. I guess the 20 or so of us are the minority?????

i'm telling you they would lose my attendance even if they made the dome and kept the prices the same.... if they raised them? yaaaa, I wont be attending much of anything. the dome experience completely sucked IMO.... heck, my wife thoroughly dislikes the winter games we go to and she even said she preferred the open air in the winter to the game we attended in lucas oil.

I believe you, but I doubt that your opinion is the majority. A new stadium will most certainly not have the same cut rate pricing schedule as the current one. The goal in business is to make more money, after all. You apparently feel very threatened by the possibility of having to pay higher prices and that’s fine. However, it is inevitable that prices go up for nearly everything consumers buy. The fact is while some fans share your take, there are likely many who won’t attend games due to the bad weather and somewhat uncontrolled atmosphere brought about by the currently cheap tickets. No amount of whining about what the Bills organization might or might not do will change this. They will put forth the business plan they feel will increase their revenue appropriately. As fans we can’t control this regardless of our individual takes on a possible new stadium. 

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Apparently you don’t know any , ergo they don’t exist in the humble hamlet that is WNY. 

I sure don't know 70 thousand of them. The top paying fields in Buffalo are all high end medical jobs, and there aren't that many of them. How many luxury clothes stores stores exist in Buffalo where you pay $500 for a tshirt? How many Teslas, Range Rovers, Porsches, Bentley's, Ferarri's do you see on your commute? 

If you see them chances are good they're athletes, high-end doctors, or construction company owners. You need that kind of money to afford the types of ticket prices they charge in new stadiums, and there simply isn't the volume for that in Buffalo NY. Maybe someday soon, but they need to start attracting more high end IT companies where making 100k is on the low end of comp.

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I sure don't know 70 thousand of them. The top paying fields in Buffalo are all high end medical jobs, and there aren't that many of them. How many luxury clothes stores stores exist in Buffalo where you pay $500 for a tshirt? How many Teslas, Range Rovers, Porsches, Bentley's, Ferarri's do you see on your commute? 

If you see them chances are good they're athletes, high-end doctors, or construction company owners. You need that kind of money to afford the types of ticket prices they charge in new stadiums, and there simply isn't the volume for that in Buffalo NY. Maybe someday soon, but they need to start attracting more high end IT companies where making 100k is on the low end of comp.

There is more than enough of an upscale market in WNY for the Bills to charge more than they currently do for tickets, particularly in a climate controlled building with substantially fewer seats.Of course not all seats will fetch the highest prices and there shouldn’t be 70k of them.  Dallas, NYC  or San Francisco prices ? No way, but overall cost of living is lower in WNY than many of those areas. I see lots of BMWs , Porsches Maseratis  and Range Rovers on my daily drives. They’re not all jocks and MDs. Not many Ferrari’s or Bentley’s. I’d venture the Bentley driver would only be attending in a corporate box, and the Bills don’t have too much room for growth there. There is room for growth most everywhere else, though. I’m not talking about generational wealth, but upper middle class. There is a distinct difference. 

6 hours ago, Doc said:

How did you become a Bills fan in the first place?  Do you go to any game?

I've been a fan since grade-school...I'm 51.

I had season tickets in 1989. 

Indoor football is almost a different game. It's soulless

Edited by OJ Tom

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Who are these people in western NY?

You keep saying that but then explain how it works in Cleveland. They have PSL's and just raised their ticket prices. I am pretty sure Cleveland as a city isn't any more well off then Buffalo is. I think it's just that a lot of are afraid of being priced out. 

3 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

I can understand where you’re coming from but if you’ve been a fan that long, I find it hard to believe that you would just find a new team if they play indoors. 

Just now, Doc said:

I can understand where you’re coming from but if you’ve been a fan that long, I find it hard to believe that you would just find a new team if they play indoors. 

I now live in Los Angeles, so all the teams play outdoors.

It's not just the weather. It's the way it looks, with no sunlight even during the day, and no change throughout the game. 

I don't like it at all.

22 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

You keep saying that but then explain how it works in Cleveland. They have PSL's and just raised their ticket prices. I am pretty sure Cleveland as a city isn't any more well off then Buffalo is. I think it's just that a lot of are afraid of being priced out. 

It DOESN'T work in Cleveland. In fact they got rid of PSLs 5 years ago. Also, the Browns stadiumw as built in 1999, they have cheaper tickets than we do, and their attendance is lower.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

I believe you, but I doubt that your opinion is the majority. A new stadium will most certainly not have the same cut rate pricing schedule as the current one. The goal in business is to make more money, after all. You apparently feel very threatened by the possibility of having to pay higher prices and that’s fine. However, it is inevitable that prices go up for nearly everything consumers buy. The fact is while some fans share your take, there are likely many who won’t attend games due to the bad weather and somewhat uncontrolled atmosphere brought about by the currently cheap tickets. No amount of whining about what the Bills organization might or might not do will change this. They will put forth the business plan they feel will increase their revenue appropriately. As fans we can’t control this regardless of our individual takes on a possible new stadium. 

how on earth did you get that from what I've said. that's not the case in the least.... I feel threatened by the thought of my gameday experience being ruined by having to sit indoors.... in which case there is no way in hell i'm paying more for a worse experience. at least not for the 5 or 6 times a year i'm going now.  i'm telling you even if the prices were the same as they are now I wouldn't be inclined to go sit in a dome. price isn't the issue here.

hell, I would have no problem paying more for the same dang stadium if it ensured it stays outside.... call me old school I guess? I dunno. watching football in a dome feels really unnatural to me. I was actually really looking forward to my first dome game last year in lucas oil and as I walked into the stadium from a beautiful brisk fall day I realized immediately it pretty much sucked. I guess maybe that's just me.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

So you are saying you go for the party and the atmosphere of the event not the team itself. Gotcha! 

Me I root for the team and would go to their games if they were on the moon, or a mile underground, I wouldn't give a rats ass what they played in I'm still going to be there cheering them on!

That said give me a building with a roof, I like being more comfortable than not.

Edited by pop gun

3 minutes ago, pop gun said:

So you are saying you go for the party and the atmosphere of the event not the team itself. Gotcha! 

Me I root for the team and would go to their games if they were on the moon, or a mile underground, I wouldn't give a rats ass what they played in I'm still going to be there cheering them on!

nope. dunno how exactly you got that from what I said at all. I literally have said numerous times I love watching the game outdoors and watching from a climate controlled dome feels like my living room. how does that equate to me saying I go for the party? if I'm going to a live football game I want to be out in the weather. that's a huge part of the whole gameday experience for me.

I quite literally referred to the game watching experience in the dome not being my cup of tea in my example and somehow you take that as me going for the party?

and what the hell does a dome have to do with the party. that can still happen pregame regardless.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

For everyone saying "If they build a dome, they lose my business!"... I feel your pain, I do, I'm an outdoor football guy myself.

But understand, they (the NFL) absolutely does not care if they lose your ticket business. Especially when moving to a stadium which will have probably 15,000 LESS seats (but plenty more corporate suites).

2 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

That's the same thing they said at the advent of the forward pass, plastic helmets, facemasks, and artificial turf.  If football lost its soul, it did so long before the Astrodome.

• Like (+1) 1