Roof or No Roof?

Bakin

Roof or No Roof?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. New Stadium - Roof or No Roof?

• Roof
    • No Roof

Give me a roof on any stadium I attend.

Then again, I don't go to any games anymore...because I LIKE being at my home (or a friends) for the game on a comfortable couch, with a refrigerator nearby, etc.  So I want a roof....but I'm hardly going to go to any games anyway.  Throw a roof on it I'll go to 1 or 2 games a year (MAYBE at most).  No roof and I"m likely not going...but either way this is something that should be asking ticket holders/buyers and POTENTIAL ticket buyers.

On 7/5/2019 at 2:32 PM, TheFunPolice said:

Beautiful fall day in WNY and everyone has to sit inside a dark airplane hangar for a football game....

Totally gross. Buffalo Bills football belongs outside.

Trouble is , your weather scenario becomes a lot less likely after about 6 weeks into the NFL season. 

17 hours ago, Threedollabills said:

shoot I thought to meant closed or retractable 

Is retractable possible or practical with BUF heavy snows ? I’m not sure if such a roof could withstand it. 

6 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Could they do some sort of overhang so the crowd is out of the rain but still open air? 

Like a giant covered porch 

I always liked the idea of the Seahawks stadium with slightly more overhang. The endzones could be "sealed up" to block the wind, and only the seats closest to the field would be exposed to the elements. It would present some interesting seating decisions -- you would have to brave the elements if you want to be close to the action, but the seats furthest from the field would be completely sheltered. The exact opposite of New Era where the highest rows of the upper deck are like a wind tunnel.

gettyimages-602999350.jpg

Retractable roof. Roof closed only if it rains or if it's below 32 degrees (Takes care of any snow fall at the same time). Other than that roof always open even if it's 90 degrees.

Purely as a Bills fan i dont want a roof. However as a multiuse facility that can bring in more revenue, events  and "prestige" to Buffalo is the  way to go.

Also with a roof my wife is more likely to go, No way she is going now unless its warm out. She hates football but every little bit helps.

You build it with a roof and people who don't want a roof will still go.

You build it without a roof and the people who don't go because of the weather still won't go. 

The answer is simple, build it with a roof and everybody will go.

• Like (+1) 4

Interesting article on the potential of adding a retractable roof to Ford Field:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20180729/news/667236/the-perils-and-perks-of-adding-a-retractable-roof-to-ford-field

Obviously this is about adding a retractable roof to an existing stadium, but brings up some interesting points about indoor v outdoor stadiums...

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Interesting article on the potential of adding a retractable roof to Ford Field:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20180729/news/667236/the-perils-and-perks-of-adding-a-retractable-roof-to-ford-field

Obviously this is about adding a retractable roof to an existing stadium, but brings up some interesting points about indoor v outdoor stadiums...

This makes me even more curious about how the numbers work on a deal like this. The Lions pay only $250k/year in rent, plus another $300k towards a maintenance fund? The utilities alone are almost $2 mil! Lot’s of factors, I know, on both the income and expense sides. They touch on naming rights and various repairs and expenses. I’m curious to know what parking and concessions alone generate.  I’d love to see a basic little spread sheet and check that bottom line. 

Edited by Augie

On 7/7/2019 at 2:05 PM, Heitz said:

There is quite a bit in article including the issues when multiple sports share one stadium.

On 7/7/2019 at 3:03 PM, Augie said:

This makes me even more curious about how the numbers work on a deal like this. The Lions pay only $250k/year in rent, plus another $300k towards a maintenance fund? The utilities alone are almost $2 mil! Lot’s of factors, I know, on both the income and expense sides. They touch on naming rights and various repairs and expenses. I’m curious to know what parking and concessions alone generate.  I’d love to see a basic little spread sheet and check that bottom line. 

Obviously like every stadium which is leased the owner takes a beating.  

On 7/7/2019 at 9:25 AM, pop gun said:

You build it with a roof and people who don't want a roof will still go.

You build it without a roof and the people who don't go because of the weather still won't go. 

The answer is simple, build it with a roof and everybody will go.

100% false(for me). I can confidently tell you that if they build a dome I will cut my attendance from the 5 or 6 games I usually go to a year to MAYBE 1 to 2. I feel no desire to drive 90 min from home just to walk into a stadium that has the same climate feel as my living room. 

After attending a domed game last year, I personally cannot stand the thought of it. Give me the outdoor gameday feel or I’ll most likely just stay home.... While I can’t speak for everyone I know plenty that feel the exact same way. 

17 hours ago, T master said:

If the Pats can play in the elements so can the Bills !

It’s a really simple concept. Just win. There’s nothing that will dictate attendance more than that. 

Do the packers, Steelers, or pats ever have trouble filling their seats in the cold months? ...That’s a hard “NO”. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/1/2019 at 8:03 PM, Heitz said:

Roof for me.  

Am I old?  Soft?  Spending too much time in SoCal?  Probably...

I'm going to continue to call out US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis as a great example of what can be done with a "roof".  When you're in that stadium it feels like you're outside - it's pretty cool.  And the entire front is basically big-ass doors that you can open for a breeze and open-air feel on those nice fall days...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a19066/minnesota-viking-football-stadium-roof/

:beer:

This is the only indoor style I’d support. I’ve  been to indoor games in St. Louis, Indianapolis, Minneapolis (the old metrodome) and didn’t like it at all.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

I hate dome teams, and watching games played in a dome.

I will find a new team if the Bills move indoors. 

How did you become a Bills fan in the first place?  Do you go to any game?

On 7/6/2019 at 9:07 PM, QCity said:

I always liked the idea of the Seahawks stadium with slightly more overhang. The endzones could be "sealed up" to block the wind, and only the seats closest to the field would be exposed to the elements. It would present some interesting seating decisions -- you would have to brave the elements if you want to be close to the action, but the seats furthest from the field would be completely sheltered. The exact opposite of New Era where the highest rows of the upper deck are like a wind tunnel.

gettyimages-602999350.jpg

My most preferable option is exactly as you describe and I often use Centurylink Field as the example/standard.  It seems like we get the best of all worlds.  It is unique, has a roof and protection from elements, outdoor, projects noise, and many of the creature comforts of a new stadium, but still game-centric.  The costs are also fairly reasonable... roughly half of what building a Minnesota-stadium would cost.  

• Like (+1) 3