Roof or No Roof?

Bakin

Roof or No Roof?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. New Stadium - Roof or No Roof?

• Roof
    • No Roof

Considering weather has not been a home field factor for this team in a long time, and for financial reasons, an indoor facility will be the value for whomever pays for it, indoor will most likely be what gets built. An outdoor stadium might be what some fans want, it's not what the people shelling out the real money there will want 

• Like (+1) 1

I love watching games when the weather is crazy. If the 2017 Colts game were played inside I doubt we would even remember and more than likely we would have lost that game with Peterman and I think Joe Webb at QB and would be going on a 19 season playoff drought at this point. Because of that I voted no roof. Having said that I live in Chicago now and only make it to 1 or 2 games a season so I don’t really have a dog in this fight. Either way I am going to be excited that WNY is going to have a 21st century sporting venue and even more importantly this will solidify the Bill’s future in WNY and we can all watch Mike Florio cry like a baby about it!

50 minutes ago, Leonhart2017 said:

I love watching games when the weather is crazy. If the 2017 Colts game were played inside I doubt we would even remember and more than likely we would have lost that game with Peterman and I think Joe Webb at QB and would be going on a 19 season playoff drought at this point. Because of that I voted no roof. Having said that I live in Chicago now and only make it to 1 or 2 games a season so I don’t really have a dog in this fight. Either way I am going to be excited that WNY is going to have a 21st century sporting venue and even more importantly this will solidify the Bill’s future in WNY and we can all watch Mike Florio cry like a baby about it!

I disagree.  The weather was the only thing equalizing the game in favor of the Colts because they were terrible that year. 

As for the elements, maybe once in every 4-5 years they impact a game and very rarely do you get something like that Colts game.  Meanwhile the elements serve more to keep people away from games in winter.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

I disagree.  The weather was the only thing equalizing the game in favor of the Colts because they were terrible that year. 

As for the elements, maybe once in every 4-5 years they impact a game and very rarely do you get something like that Colts game.  Meanwhile the elements serve more to keep people away from games in winter.

I can’t say I agree with your first point when you have Nate Peterman starting the game. If he was in a climate controlled environment he would be throwing more and we know what happens with him. The second point I do totally agree. To build a 700 to possibly 1 billion dollar stadium because on a rare occasion  you think you will have home field advantage would be silly and while I did say i loved watching crazy weather games, the caveat I didn’t mention was I liked watching them on TV most of the time and not taking the brunt of it in the 300 sections (something I have done for well over 25 yeas of going to games but usually avoid if I am going to make a trip home now). Like I said though when they do decide on the stadium whether be it dome, retractable, or open air, I am going to be stoked!

19 minutes ago, Leonhart2017 said:

I can’t say I agree with your first point when you have Nate Peterman starting the game. If he was in a climate controlled environment he would be throwing more and we know what happens with him. The second point I do totally agree. To build a 700 to possibly 1 billion dollar stadium because on a rare occasion  you think you will have home field advantage would be silly and while I did say i loved watching crazy weather games, the caveat I didn’t mention was I liked watching them on TV most of the time and not taking the brunt of it in the 300 sections (something I have done for well over 25 yeas of going to games but usually avoid if I am going to make a trip home now). Like I said though when they do decide on the stadium whether be it dome, retractable, or open air, I am going to be stoked!

The Colts were bad enough on defense that Peterman starting wouldn't have negatively impacted the Bills. 

8 hours ago, cba fan said:

For all the die-hard outdoor fans who say they will not go downtown to a dome, that will not really be a factor if Bills/NFL studies show you would be replaced by fans who do not want to sit outside in crap weather etc etc......especially late season cold games when many of these diehards stay home.

Those fans who want to sit in climate control I would venture a guess are the ones who have more money, spend more money, and would not care if they tailgated in areas where they must buy most of their food and drink.

Hopefully the team can accommodate most by building one like MN has but making ample room for tailgating. I have been to MN and you do not feel like you are inside. It is amazing. If Bills put even more of the roof as the PTE glass than MN did and make it more like LA and LV roofs, and, make even more panels that swing open, along with Buffalo historical connection of some kind in good taste so as not to make it feel like a mall,(architecture, style, food, mini Niagra Falls somewhere? huge bison on the plaza outside, wagons circling the other plaza on opposite side etc etc) they could have a great stadium.

Wait. So your income apparently dictates the weather in which you enjoy watching a game in? I can assure you the amount of money I have made has literally NO bearing on how I prefer to watch my games. That’s a really absurd thing to say IMO. 

15 years ago I was a broke, drunk, obnoxious college kid loving a good brisk outdoor gaming experience. I’m now in a spot where the money it takes to have a good seat in orchard park or any other Stadium isn’t really an issue. And guess what..... I’ll take that brisk and crisp December air on gameday. 

Win. They need to freaking win. Nothing is gonna dictate attendance like winning or losing will. Do the packers have problems with attendance? How about the Steelers? Both great gameday stadiums btw. Lucas oil? Not so much. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/3/2019 at 7:28 AM, row_33 said:

Home teams have always dominated, usually because they almost always were the better team, that’s why they get the home playoff game 

On 7/3/2019 at 7:31 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

Sensible takes aren't allowed here, man. :P

OK .. let's take out playoffs and look overall .. again we can all have our opinion .. my just is that dome teams typically are worse (softer) than non-dome teams.  Granted there is a little age on this (from 2014) but it basically shows road records for dome teams vs. non dome teams in regular season .. though not crazy dramatic .. dome teams winning percentage on the road is 39% and non-dome teams road winning percentage is 44%.

But to above as well this link also talks about dome teams as #1 seed in playoffs ... you say potato .. I say spud.  

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2014/dome-sweet-dome-not-a-chance

Fresh air in December in OP after 1pm .. rocks!

On 7/1/2019 at 9:03 PM, Heitz said:

Roof for me.  

Am I old?  Soft?  Spending too much time in SoCal?  Probably...

I'm going to continue to call out US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis as a great example of what can be done with a "roof".  When you're in that stadium it feels like you're outside - it's pretty cool.  And the entire front is basically big-ass doors that you can open for a breeze and open-air feel on those nice fall days...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a19066/minnesota-viking-football-stadium-roof/

:beer:

The difference is Minny has I believe 5-7 Fortune 500 companies. Buffalo has zero. Minneapolis' economy is constantly growing at least at the national rate, Buffalo, well that thought is laughable. Despite an estimated increase in population in 2017 for the first time since 1970, the county population is about 200,000 less than it was in OJ's sophomore season. In the end, IF, and that's a huge IF, they get a new stadium, you can bet it'll be what it should be for this market... a simple, open air stadium, likely somewhat enclosed like Seattle. This region can't support large events that many here want. Not enough hotel rooms for a Super Bowl or Sweet 16 or Final Four or any national event that would draw 10s of 1000s of out of towners.

So to what end is an overly expensive enclosed stadium justified given that this team, which has sucked for two decades, still draws extremely well. And that answer isn't more club seats and boxes. That's not working now. 

I hope the Pegulas are smart enough to know that a) a good product on the field will be received with open arms by b) a region of diehards willing to pony up the money to sit outside and watch. And in doing so, throws up the collective Pegula middle finger to Robert Rub-and-Tug and his band of greedy municipal fund pillagers. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/3/2019 at 10:24 PM, Stank_Nasty said:

Wait. So your income apparently dictates the weather in which you enjoy watching a game in? I can assure you the amount of money I have made has literally NO bearing on how I prefer to watch my games. That’s a really absurd thing to say IMO. 

15 years ago I was a broke, drunk, obnoxious college kid loving a good brisk outdoor gaming experience. I’m now in a spot where the money it takes to have a good seat in orchard park or any other Stadium isn’t really an issue. And guess what..... I’ll take that brisk and crisp December air on gameday. 

Win. They need to freaking win. Nothing is gonna dictate attendance like winning or losing will. Do the packers have problems with attendance? How about the Steelers? Both great gameday stadiums btw. Lucas oil? Not so much. 

income does not dictate anything. Older fans who are weather sensitive will likely be further along into their careers and have more money to spend vs the younger students and college grads who like the weather factor who are just starting out working.

main point is if studies show/prove you will be replaced by fans who want to sit indoors at Dec and Jan games you will be replaced.

why would Bills care as long as Bills fans still show up?  I believe attendance will be better with a dome as the area residents continue to get older. JMO but we will see.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:18 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

I want no roof, but I think a new stadium will have a roof, which will allow multiple events in the stadium and more revenue for the stadium owner(s).

IMO, retractable roofs, while good in theory, rarely seems to be retracted.  Is it actually worth the extra money?  I'd lean toward no, it is not worth it.

Image result for angry gif
Edited by HOUSE

Here's my take: I grew-up in Buffalo and lived here until 30. I've been to many Bills games - some bright sunshine and a gorgeous Fall day and some where it was 20 degrees and snowing. I loved everyone of them. It's part of the experience going to  a game. I live in Houston now and Reliant stadium has a retractable roof. I've never been there when it has been open!! The arguments have been: 1. Roof closed provides a loud, home advantage crowd 2. It's too hot to open it. 3. It takes too long to open it during a game.

I hate it. It's a huge waste when it's never opened. If they put one in Buffalo, you'd get similar excuses. Close it - make it loud. Oh, it's going to snow. Oh, it's too cold out there. 

Give me the open air and stop with all the damn p-words that "don't enjoy it"....

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Beautiful fall day in WNY and everyone has to sit inside a dark airplane hangar for a football game....

Totally gross. Buffalo Bills football belongs outside.

...here are some of my experiences to share....you decide what fits...

1. MLB at the Kingdome: Mariners vs Twins-in Seattle for software conference; host company rented late Paul Allen's suite (Microsoft); Big Papi jacked a moon shot for the Twins; no aroma of ball park dogs, beerman or peanut guy yellin', boring

2. Bills games outside in the winter-you all know that drill; bundle up

3. Our corporate suite games-despite the conveniences of food & beverage delivered as well as rest rooms across the hall, like watching a football game from an aquarium

4. M&T Club-theater style seating, open bar and a continual buffet with snacks and then dinner throughout the day-nice presentation

...so it's a tough call for Pegula as to what would optimize seat sales...BUT ...the principal factor will always be if still competitive late November of December....I know with our corporate suite, when the Bills were officially out of it in late November, we would have to BEG people to go to a game...mind you it would include $1,500+ in suite food & beverage and $1,080 for limo bus transportation bus from Roch-Cha-Cha...

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...here are some of my experiences to share....you decide what fits...

1. MLB at the Kingdome: Mariners vs Twins-in Seattle for software conference; host company rented late Paul Allen's suite (Microsoft); Big Papi jacked a moon shot for the Twins; no aroma of ball park dogs, beerman or peanut guy yellin', boring

2. Bills games outside in the winter-you all know that drill; bundle up

3. Our corporate suite games-despite the conveniences of food & beverage delivered as well as rest rooms across the hall, like watching a football game from an aquarium

4. M&T Club-theater style seating, open bar and a continual buffet with snacks and then dinner throughout the day-nice presentation

...so it's a tough call for Pegula as to what would optimize seat sales...BUT ...the principal factor will always be if still competitive late November of December....I know with our corporate suite, when the Bills were officially out of it in late November, we would have to BEG people to go to a game...mind you it would include $1,500+ in suite food & beverage and $1,080 for limo bus transportation bus from Roch-Cha-Cha...

You can beg ME!   ?

I get both sides of this, and as long as they remain in WNY (which I 100% expect), then I don‘t care what decision they make. I’ll still go. There are a lot of pros and cons. I’m good with whatever. I will say, as a kid part of the fun of late season games was getting ready and surviving. Newspaper insulation in my boots, getting the layers of clothing just right, taking that thermos of hot bullion (those were the days!) to keep you warm, etc. I’d really miss the tailgating too, but I’m not a little kid anymore, so.....whatever. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

You can beg ME!   ?

I get both sides of this, and as long as they remain in WNY (which I 100% expect), then I don‘t care what decision they make. I’ll still go. There are a lot of pros and cons. I’m good with whatever. I will say, as a kid part of the fun of late season games was getting ready and surviving. Newspaper insulation in my boots, getting the layers of clothing just right, taking that thermos of hot bullion (those were the days!) to keep you warm, etc. I’d really miss the tailgating too, but I’m not a little kid anymore, so.....whatever. 

...BEG you?.....you get the "red carpet" my good friend...:thumbsup:...they make me use the back door..........

• Thank you (+1) 1