Roof or No Roof?

Bakin

Roof or No Roof?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. New Stadium - Roof or No Roof?

• Roof
    • No Roof

4 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

First off .. if we were in the desert .. then yes as being in a sweat box sucks.

But football is a fall sport ... layer up.

Indoor Teams are typically soft teams .. please no.

• Detroit
  • Arizona
  • Houston
  • Indy
  • Vikings
  • Saints (Exception)

Crazy NFL Playoff Betting Stat via the @ActionNetworkHQ

Teams that play their home games in a dome are 12-44 (21.4%) SU overall and 4-18 (18.2%) SU in games played in 32 degree or colder temperatures during the NFL Playoffs.

We drafted Josh to handle the weather in WNY ... Trust the Process

Indy's offensive line is one of the meanest and nastiest offensive lines in football...especially the interior.

The Texans defense is always physical.

Just now, Heitz said:

I've been to X-Games (and will hopefully be going back this year), it was great for that event, though it was a daytime event.  Still, if you google US Bank and Concerts, seems like there has been quite a few over the years.

Interesting that so many are calling for a retractable roof - do they even make those anymore ? (aside from Atlanta's billion dollar digs)?  Seems like a waste of money in Buffalo, I'm not convinced there would be a enough "good days" to have the roof open.  Also, I believe it depends on more than just weather - wind, light, etc. can all affect the decision to open or close the roof.

Retractable roofs were a fad. I’ve been to games in Arizona and Dallas. Both were perfect weather and both had the roof closed. There’s zero advantage to having a roof that opens except to keep the grass alive but Buffalo hasn’t had natural grass since 1972.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Unfortunately, roof.

Any building that is going to take up that much real estate downtown, and cost that much to build, needs to be used more than 10-12 times a year (counting preseason and playoffs obviously).

Even if the Pegulas funded it themselves, they would have to have other events there, and therefore need a roof.

I love an open stadium, but it just isnt practical. And if we want to draw other games and events to it, a roof is a necessity.

Dr. Dawkinstein droppin' kah-nowledge. Yeah, this is pretty much it. They'd have a super hard time justifying the expenses incurred on taxpayers if it's an open-air stadium that only gets used for eight football games a year. They'll need a multi-purpose type of place with a roof. I'd vote for a retractable one so they can open it up on the one or two days during the season where it isn't dark, gray and gloomy outside.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

WEO, I know and you are absolutely right.

I was thinking for both, first with what Shady said...yes, one offs, easy.

However, and honestly I don't know, but I am wondering if they could design something that would/could reasonably work as a home for the sabres, as well.

Probably not, because of the size but also the angle of the seats to the ice as compared to football...but if they could it would be of considerably more value to the Pegulas.

Pure speculation on my part, or just wondering about the feasibility.

That would leave KeyBank Center mostly empty, with Erie county again holding the bag...

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Come on!

It doesn't feel like football in a dome. Domes are BS.

If there is a new stadium it will be an open air stadium. 

It doesn’t feel right spending hundreds of dollars for tickets either. If I am going to spend that kind of money I would rather do it where I can be as comfortable as possible and not freeze my ass off.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

WEO, I know and you are absolutely right.

I was thinking for both, first with what Shady said...yes, one offs, easy.

However, and honestly I don't know, but I am wondering if they could design something that would/could reasonably work as a home for the sabres, as well.

Probably not, because of the size but also the angle of the seats to the ice as compared to football...but if they could it would be of considerably more value to the Pegulas.

Pure speculation on my part, or just wondering about the feasibility.

It is not feasible.  

Seats are a mile away and fans would not have good value at all.  You would have logistics for half the hockey season of building and removing an ice surface.  

18 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Unfortunately, roof.

Any building that is going to take up that much real estate downtown, and cost that much to build, needs to be used more than 10-12 times a year (counting preseason and playoffs obviously).

Even if the Pegulas funded it themselves, they would have to have other events there, and therefore need a roof.

I love an open stadium, but it just isnt practical. And if we want to draw other games and events to it, a roof is a necessity.

About as good a post as one could write on this subject.  I dont live in B-Lo (nor even been) but I would have to agree with everything you said here.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

It was amazing.  34 degrees and rain...

but in the 3rd quarter, the temperature dropped like 20 degrees in 30 seconds.

Hearing the waves of people screaming as their clothing froze solid is something Ill never forget.  It was like a scene in A Day After Tomorrow

The first quarter was all Bills and decent weather.  Then the sideways rain picked up, the temperature dropped, and the Giants just dominated the rest of the game.  I was so cold I had to take all my wet clothes off and I drove home in only my boxers with the heat cranked up.  I've been to at a lot of sub zero temperature games and it was paradise compared to that game.

5 hours ago, bills_fan said:

No roof.  

More games like these...

http://www.angelfire.com/nv/billsthunder/2002GAME12.html

I DO love a good snow game, but maybe enjoy it more on TV. 

It’s HOT here today. Temp is currently 94, with feels like of 97. This reminds me of why I hated early season games in Florida. If anyone needs a roof it’s those fans! UGH! (I did played tennis earlier, so it’s possible I have a little dain bramage....)

I think I still land on retractable, but they always close it unless weather is perfect. I want some weather, just not ridiculous weather! Retractable also makes it more versatile for various events. Hey, I get to a game or two a year, so it’s YOUR money!   ?

20 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

with the cost of a retractable roof i would say just a solid roof but not necessarily complete. allow the cold but keep out most of wind.

How much does it cost to add a roof?

How much more to make it retractable?

Will the extra cost pay for itself in an expansion of its usage?

4 hours ago, Heitz said:

Animated fly-through of the Minny stadium...

That is the coolest looking stadium in the league. I’ve been to neither, but I’d see a game there before Jerry World. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billykay said:

How much does it cost to add a roof?

How much more to make it retractable?

Will the extra cost pay for itself in an expansion of its usage?

you make a valid point- i can not imagine the retractable roof will be worth 100 million in extra opportunities so i like the idea of a fixed roof.

• Like (+1) 1