Roof or No Roof?

Bakin

Roof or No Roof?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. New Stadium - Roof or No Roof?

• Roof
    • No Roof

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

After the Giants home game in '08 and roasting in the sun at least once a year....... give me a damn roof.  You can really crank up the noise level if designed properly.

I was at that game... that seriously was the worse. 34 degree sideways rain. 

First off .. if we were in the desert .. then yes as being in a sweat box sucks.

But football is a fall sport ... layer up.

Indoor Teams are typically soft teams .. please no.

• Detroit
  • Arizona
  • Houston
  • Indy
  • Vikings
  • Saints (Exception)

Crazy NFL Playoff Betting Stat via the @ActionNetworkHQ

Teams that play their home games in a dome are 12-44 (21.4%) SU overall and 4-18 (18.2%) SU in games played in 32 degree or colder temperatures during the NFL Playoffs.

We drafted Josh to handle the weather in WNY ... Trust the Process

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Downtown permanent roof. Retractable is just too expensive.

64,500 seats.

Increase ticket prices 40%.

Improve the food and beer options. 

40%?     The seats will be empty.  that is too much 

way too much

Dunkirk Don owns land ...  He'll build enough hotels from Buffalo to Letchworth  to accommodate people 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, akcash said:

I was at that game... that seriously was the worse. 34 degree sideways rain. 

It was amazing.  34 degrees and rain...

but in the 3rd quarter, the temperature dropped like 20 degrees in 30 seconds.

Hearing the waves of people screaming as their clothing froze solid is something Ill never forget.  It was like a scene in A Day After Tomorrow

Edited by May Day 10

11 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Does this usually happen, especially in Buffalo?  I do not know if a roof means more events.

To answer the question, no roof.  Why give up home field advantage.

None with any frequency or significance, especially in the winter.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

None with any frequency or significance, especially in the winter.

True.... and not many that can't just be housed in the Arena.  

I say it every time, but someone needs to build an amphitheater downtown, maybe on the outer-harbor.  That would bring in more people downtown than a more-expensive football venue would

• Like (+1) 1

I voted no roof because I love football in the elements, but in reality I would love to see a retractable roof.  The problem is, I would not want them to close it for football games because I think their is truth to our winter home field advantage.  I would just want them to be able to close the roof for events like concerts etc. in the winter. I know this is not really feasible, but that is my vote.

2 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

First off .. if we were in the desert .. then yes as being in a sweat box sucks.

But football is a fall sport ... layer up.

Indoor Teams are typically soft teams .. please no.

• Detroit
  • Arizona
  • Houston
  • Indy
  • Vikings
  • Saints (Exception)

Crazy NFL Playoff Betting Stat via the @ActionNetworkHQ

Teams that play their home games in a dome are 12-44 (21.4%) SU overall and 4-18 (18.2%) SU in games played in 32 degree or colder temperatures during the NFL Playoffs.

We drafted Josh to handle the weather in WNY ... Trust the Process

...or maybe the w-l record in the playoffs has something to do with the fact that the dome team is going on the road...and more than likely an underdog. ;)

I'm no Dunkirk DImwit, but if I was a betting man, I'd wager that the decision has been made to put the stadium downtown near the KBC, and it will have a fixed roof.  All these surveys, focus groups and statements by the Governor and County Executive are all for show.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Please don't jump on me, because I am likely late to the party and it only occurred to me just now.

Could the dome feasibly be used for hockey?

Sure it could.  See the winter classic games.   

The minor issue is never scheduling a Sunday hockey game and possibly a Monday and occasionally Saturday game to avoid a conflict 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The minor issue is never scheduling a Sunday hockey game and possibly a Monday and occasionally Saturday game to avoid a conflict 

As a home for the Sabres?  Those winter classics  are one-offs.  No one is going to pay to sit a mile away (every seat) 41 times a year.

Edited by Mr. WEO

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

As a home for the Sabres?  Those winter classics  are one-offs.  No one is going to pay to sit a mile away (every seat) 41 times a year.

not particularly the Sabres. 

I was just mentioning that the one-off winter classics have been played in football stadiums 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

WEO, I know and you are absolutely right.

I was thinking for both, first with what Shady said...yes, one offs, easy.

However, and honestly I don't know, but I am wondering if they could design something that would/could reasonably work as a home for the sabres, as well.

Probably not, because of the size but also the angle of the seats to the ice as compared to football...but if they could it would be of considerably more value to the Pegulas.

Pure speculation on my part, or just wondering about the feasibility.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I defy any one of you to go watch a game in Minnesota and not come back saying we want one like that! And the new Los Angeles stadium will be much the same with tons on natural daylight. Now...with that said... I do wonder if those venues can be used for other events since all that sunlight can be a problem for concerts, etc. Has anyone been to another event in Minneapolis?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I defy any one of you to go watch a game in Minnesota and not come back saying we want one like that! And the new Los Angeles stadium will be much the same with tons on natural daylight. Now...with that said... I do wonder if those venues can be used for other events since all that sunlight can be a problem for concerts, etc. Has anyone been to another event in Minneapolis?

I've been to X-Games (and will hopefully be going back this year), it was great for that event, though it was a daytime event.  Still, if you google US Bank and Concerts, seems like there has been quite a few over the years.

Interesting that so many are calling for a retractable roof - do they even make those anymore ? (aside from Atlanta's billion dollar digs)?  Seems like a waste of money in Buffalo, I'm not convinced there would be a enough "good days" to have the roof open.  Also, I believe it depends on more than just weather - wind, light, etc. can all affect the decision to open or close the roof.