Roof or No Roof?

Bakin

Roof or No Roof?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. New Stadium - Roof or No Roof?

• Roof
    • No Roof

1 minute ago, wiskibreth said:

It's almost 2020, stadiums need a roof.  It's also gotta generate revenue in other ways the other 8 months out of the year.

Well then do a FundMe thing and see how many want to contribute.  Maybe get enough for some parasols for fans.

Parasols with ads of course for more funding.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

with the cost of a retractable roof i would say just a solid roof but not necessarily complete. allow the cold but keep out most of wind.

Retractable roof is a waste of money. Your rarely use it and it breaks down easily. See any retractable roof stadium today. 

Personally I love the Vikings stadium. Fixed roof but mostly glass to allow natural light. Plus outside walls open to allow as much or as little outside air as you want.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s funny how people think if there’s no roof it would only be used a dozen times a year.... outdoor hockey? I’m sure April through August you could easily fit in a dozen more events, fundraisers, concerts etc.... roof or no roof I don’t think you’d see a drastic count in additional events.

i think retractable is the way to go, if the cost isn’t worth it... no roof.

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

Roof for me.  

Am I old?  Soft?  Spending too much time in SoCal?  Probably...

I'm going to continue to call out US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis as a great example of what can be done with a "roof".  When you're in that stadium it feels like you're outside - it's pretty cool.  And the entire front is basically big-ass doors that you can open for a breeze and open-air feel on those nice fall days...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a19066/minnesota-viking-football-stadium-roof/

:beer:

Agree 100% -  would love the Minnesota stadium - right down near the canal and waterfront.  Give boats access in the summer and a whole new life to the area.

12 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

It’s funny how people think if there’s no roof it would only be used a dozen times a year.... outdoor hockey? I’m sure April through August you could easily fit in a dozen more events, fundraisers, concerts etc.... roof or no roof I don’t think you’d see a drastic count in additional events.

i think retractable is the way to go, if the cost isn’t worth it... no roof.

With the Arena and Harbor Center right there, we dont need more ice rinks.

We're not talking local fundraisers, we're talking maybe a College Bowl game? Start that tradition. Maybe the NFL Draft? Think bigger

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

How many times a year will you be visiting from Portland?

Depends on the road game options. I'm 48 and have not lived in Buffalo since 1988. I've made it to at least one home game every year since I left including  college years. Had season tickets from 91 to 2001. Then first son was born and moved out west.

Typically it is 1 or 2 home games and one or two away games a year.

I've been to just under 75% of the stadiums. Never went to a game in Toronto. 

I'm a club level seat guy when I go to games home or away. 

If your point was I don't go to many games and I shouldn't have an opinion that is fair. I would still go to home games with or without a roof. And I would still raise prices and try to price out some of the drunks.

in this hypothetical new stadium that will be completely funded by private entities and have ground broken on it only when it’s clear that New Era Field is crumbling at the foundation, I’d also like a retractable roof.

27 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Depends on the road game options. I'm 48 and have not lived in Buffalo since 1988. I've made it to at least one home game every year since I left including  college years. Had season tickets from 91 to 2001. Then first son was born and moved out west.

Typically it is 1 or 2 home games and one or two away games a year.

I've been to just under 75% of the stadiums. Never went to a game in Toronto. 

I'm a club level seat guy when I go to games home or away. 

If your point was I don't go to many games and I shouldn't have an opinion that is fair. I would still go to home games with or without a roof. And I would still raise prices and try to price out some of the drunks.

Only point was number of games a year you would buying to support raise in prices for seats all year.

Personally I have not been able to buy tickets to any games I want to go to anymore because they are only available on secondary market with large portion of sales sold via professional scalpers.  They used to sell to fan groups but they are very hard to get now so you need to buy via third party who package them with things you may not want to make more money. Before change I was able to go to 2-4 games a year mostly in 200s or 300s because I dislike standing so be able to see game better.  Right now I have physical issues which make it worse.

No roof.

Nothing like an open air stadium.  Don’t care if it had a retractable roof, or full on dome.  Still not truly open air.  Only compromise I’d like is the partial roof as long as I don’t feel closed in with it.

Only reason I’d like a roof are for those late December games.  But honestly, there’s 2 or 3 a year?  And out of those 1 or 2 are truly cold?

I’d like to see an extensive reno of our current stadium.  Good location, great sight lines.  May be old, but it’s still a great stadium!

Edited by davefan66

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I'd like a roof but partial, absolutely not a dome.

Based on the poll I stated no roof, because I wanted what you indicate.  Seattle has this where not completely covered at least shielding most of the rain out there.  The same could be said for Buffalo with a new stadium, but snow.

Although i understand the roof standpoint and wouldnt be devastated, i would much rather see open.

Open with some roof to protect from the elements is fine.

I assume that if it is indoor, it will be much closer to resemble detroit/ford field than minnesota or atlanta.  Costs will be kept under control.  When you see a game or highlights from the lions, it all seems so miscellaneous.  Everything is the exact same.  You can't tell anything about time of day, time of year, weather, etc.  I don't like that and feel like all those things add so much to the flavor.  When home games are brought up, i always remember the conditions.