Roof or No Roof?

Bakin

Roof or No Roof?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. New Stadium - Roof or No Roof?

• Roof
    • No Roof

Unfortunately, roof.

Any building that is going to take up that much real estate downtown, and cost that much to build, needs to be used more than 10-12 times a year (counting preseason and playoffs obviously).

Even if the Pegulas funded it themselves, they would have to have other events there, and therefore need a roof.

I love an open stadium, but it just isnt practical. And if we want to draw other games and events to it, a roof is a necessity.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Unfortunately, roof.

Any building that is going to take up that much real estate downtown, and cost that much to build, needs to be used more than 10-12 times a year (counting preseason and playoffs obviously).

Even if the Pegulas funded it themselves, they would have to have other events there, and therefore need a roof.

I love an open stadium, but it just isnt practical. And if we want to draw other games and events to it, a roof is a necessity.

?

When using practical thinking a roof makes the most sense, however when I think of sitting stadium watching a game I love the sun, clouds, wind, snow, etc.  I’ve been to games inside (including SB XLIX) and it’s just not the same indoors.  Nothing beats “football weather”.

Roof for me.  

Am I old?  Soft?  Spending too much time in SoCal?  Probably...

I'm going to continue to call out US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis as a great example of what can be done with a "roof".  When you're in that stadium it feels like you're outside - it's pretty cool.  And the entire front is basically big-ass doors that you can open for a breeze and open-air feel on those nice fall days...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a19066/minnesota-viking-football-stadium-roof/

:beer:

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Although my game days are over in the buffalo area I would still go with the roof. Years ago I wanted them to peg a new stadium in the Lewiston area as close to the border as possible. In my older years I realize that probably wouldn’t work out too well and of course have no clue what shape Niagara Falls/ town of niagara/ Lewiston is in these days. I just always felt that area needed the infusion of surrounding businesses a stadium would undoubtedly bring. If/when they do a new stadium I will make the trip to come see it though 

I want no roof, but I think a new stadium will have a roof, which will allow multiple events in the stadium and more revenue for the stadium owner(s).

IMO, retractable roofs, while good in theory, rarely seems to be retracted.  Is it actually worth the extra money?  I'd lean toward no, it is not worth it.

15 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Roof for me.  

Am I old?  Soft?  Spending too much time in SoCal?  Probably...

I'm going to continue to call out US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis as a great example of what can be done with a "roof".  When you're in that stadium it feels like you're outside - it's pretty cool.  And the entire front is basically big-ass doors that you can open for a breeze and open-air feel on those nice fall days...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a19066/minnesota-viking-football-stadium-roof/

:beer:

Yes.  There is a stadium in NZ which supposedly has same feel.  If you are going to roof option (and I expect all those who do vote for roof to open pocket books and bank accounts to Pegulas) please no dome like Colts have.  I went to Arizona game and seat was "partly obstructed" and by that they mean you can see the video board if no one stands up.

• Like (+1) 1

It’d be cool if they modeled it after Lucas Oil stadium. I have this argument with my friends all the time. I spend a majority of the winter in the elements(November through January) due to deer hunting, and when I’m making the trip to buffalo to watch a game it’d be nice not to have to dress like I’m going hunting. I mean, Atlanta has a retractable roof and that’s pretty sweet as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Roof - allows the stadium to be used for so much more than 10 professional and a few high school football games per year.  As far as the football experience, I'm OK with open air, but it seems the height of inefficiency not to build something that lends itself to other kinds of events.

Just now, Captain Murica said:

It’d be cool if they modeled it after Lucas Oil stadium. I have this argument with my friends all the time. I spend a majority of the winter in the elements(November through January) due to deer hunting, and when I’m making the trip to buffalo to watch a game it’d be nice not to have to dress like I’m going hunting. I mean, Atlanta has a retractable roof and that’s pretty sweet as well. 

I usually refer to Lucas Oil whenever talking new stadium as well. They built it for only $750M, and it has a great look that blends into the industrial setting.

As far as Atlanta is concerned, it took them 2 years to get that roof working and that was in perfect Southern weather. Retractable roofs just arent feasible in the North. They might be able to open it for the preseason games and maybe the first couple of regular season games, but it would never be open in the snow like we'd all want it to be. Bummer, but it's the reality of it.

4 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Roof - allows the stadium to be used for so much more than 10 professional and a few high school football games per year.  As far as the football experience, I'm OK with open air, but it seems the height of inefficiency not to build something that lends itself to other kinds of events.

Does this usually happen, especially in Buffalo?  I do not know if a roof means more events.

To answer the question, no roof.  Why give up home field advantage.

1 minute ago, Just Joshin' said:

Does this usually happen, especially in Buffalo?  I do not know if a roof means more events.

Considering that most of players come from places which are much warmer in winter I think only ones with home field advantage are fans who are better at making snowballs to throw at opposing fans who spend most of the season in domes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Is having Bills fans in attendance in December part of home field advantage? 

I honestly see both sides of this. I’m fine either way. 

Winning cures everything!