Midway Trailer

57 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

That could apply to pretty much every movie Heston made.....except "Soylent Green".?

He just wasn't that good of an actor imo.

Heston was not good in this but I chalk that up to him and the director not knowing how to work the character.  I always thought that Heston had some talent.  Edward Albert was the worst for me.  The special effects were no more than adequate and those familiar with the ships involved could plainly see all the "stand-ins" that distracted from the battle.  I am not sure if actors salaries were a related issue.  Not all bad as you got to see plenty of actors in this before they became stars such as Tom Selleck and you will miss him if you blink your eyes Gary Busey.  An obvious dearth of Japanese-American actors as just about every Japanese-American in Hollywood was in this except for George Takei.  It has been rumored that Takei was considered but not offered a part as his Star Trek background was thought to be distracting.  

Edited by RochesterRob

3 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

That could apply to pretty much every movie Heston made.....except "Soylent Green".?

He just wasn't that good of an actor imo.

QMozxG.gif

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, Roland Emmerich does make me very nervous about this movie. Not that thrilled about Mandy Moore either, but Patrick Wilson, Aaron Eckhart & Woody Harrelson are positive signs.

I was excited when I had heard that they were making this movie, but knowing who the director is, gives me pause. 

Although, I may still end up seeing it. Please, be good.

Yeah Harrelson is one of my favorites it will probably be the reason I see it. I really really really want this to be good. I just don’t understand why they give it to Emmerich.

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

sorry @Mark Vader but you can't avoid the "love story angle".     These guys have to fight for someone they love 

well, you see,  at an ***** it's hard to tell how many 

I'm fine with that, I just want the movie to be good.

21 minutes ago, NobesBLO13 said:

Yeah Harrelson is one of my favorites it will probably be the reason I see it. I really really really want this to be good. I just don’t understand why they give it to Emmerich.

Exactly.

That's what makes me nervous. Hoping it all works out right.

At least Ben Aflicted isn’t in it. I don’t have a good feeling but I hope it’s decent. 6 months after Pear, we evened the score and turned the tide. Thanks in large part to deciphering Japanese codes. ‘Midway is low on drinking water’ -GREAT STUFF!

On 7/2/2019 at 6:27 AM, eball said:

You didn't like The Patriot?  I thought it was fantastic -- although I also wasn't just looking for 100% Revolutionary War accuracy.

Not really.  I thought it was a bit of a BraveHeart set in a different time period rip off.  It was definitely better than some of Emmerich's other work.  I haven't watched the Patriot in years.  Maybe I'll watch it again someday.

On 7/2/2019 at 6:27 AM, eball said:

You didn't like The Patriot?  I thought it was fantastic -- although I also wasn't just looking for 100% Revolutionary War accuracy.

Not enough scenes at the airports.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/1/2019 at 3:53 PM, Mark Vader said:

11-8-19

https://midway.movie/trailer

Thoughts?

Seven.

That's how many factual errors I counted in the trailer.  I think I hate it.

On 7/1/2019 at 4:37 PM, RochesterRob said:

I wouldn't get my hopes too high.  Roland Emmerich is involved and the cast including Woody Harrelson could cut either way.  The bar is not set too high when looking at the Charlton Heston pic from 1976.  Heston was a little over the top but a fair number of actors were workman-like including Henry Fonda, Martin Balsam, and Hal Holbrook.  The special effects were nothing special but were not over presented in light of most of the ships and planes involved no longer existed by 1976.  If CGI does not grate on you too bad then you won't mind seeing ships such as the USS Yorktown sail again and since they are going back to Dec 7, 1941 maybe we will see ships like the USS Lexington for Coral Sea action.  20th Century Fox spent liberally on Tora Tora Tora but Universal I believe was much tighter for their Midway.  I don't know if the history will be set straight given what has come out in the last few decades.  We shall see.

That sociopath Emmerich is involved?

Now I know I hate it.  

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This movie looks to be absolutely terrible.

Reminds me of "Pearl Harbor" from some years ago.

I didn't see the Japanese bombing any Spruance-class destroyers in this one.  So it's already better than Pearl Harbor.

Seriously, ***** Pearl Harbor.  ***** it hard.  I give that movie five out of five penguins, and may God have mercy on its soul.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Seven.

That's how many factual errors I counted in the trailer.  I think I hate it.

That sociopath Emmerich is involved?

Now I know I hate it.  

I didn't see the Japanese bombing any Spruance-class destroyers in this one.  So it's already better than Pearl Harbor.

Seriously, ***** Pearl Harbor.  ***** it hard.  I give that movie five out of five penguins, and may God have mercy on its soul.  

Well then, let's hope that "1917" will be a war movie to look forward to this year.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, John from Riverside said:

Tell the story the way it should be told

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DBd8_vO5zrjo&ved=2ahUKEwiqrLz88Z7jAhULj54KHRAiAlcQwqsBMAB6BAgGEAU&usg=AOvVaw2uq9uT3flx37hcS4iVrlCF

Midway, from the Japanes perspective.

On 7/2/2019 at 5:10 AM, sherpa said:

For a Western New York connection, and we have talked about it before, LCDR Wade McClusky, from Buffalo, was credited by ADM Nimitz with deciding the fate of the US carrier task force.

In short, though low on fuel,  McClusky's decision to follow a Japanese destroyer steaming at flank speed led his formation to the Japanese carriers. He was serving as Enterprise's Air Wing Commander at the time.

To this day, the Navy's award for the most outstanding attack squadron is named after him.

Lesser known trivia about Midway. It was claimed as a US possession in 1867 by the USS Lackawanna.

I've never looked to see if there was a McClusky Street, a McClusky Park or a McClusky statue in Buffalo.  He certainly earned it.

As to the movie trailer..meh..it doesn't need an Emmerlich trying to create more action. Taking down 4 carriers in a day is action enough.

I'm boring...I've always appreciated something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w30FkSXyTE

3 hours ago, CookieG said:

I've never looked to see if there was a McClusky Street, a McClusky Park or a McClusky statue in Buffalo.  He certainly earned it.

The Us Navy did commission the USS McClusky, which served in the Pacific Fleet for years until it was ultimately used as a target and sunk  as part of an exercise.