Best Firework Show(s) you ever saw?

My old neighbor. They have stuff on the ground, in the air, fountains surrounding the group that watches. It’s a sensory overload and almost feels like you’re on psychedelics just colors and things flying all over the place. Two years ago it lasted over an hour. Last year it was over a couple days 15 mins at a time

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

Saw. 

With the the grammar lesson out of the way, it was the Niagara Power Authority’s 25th Anniversary spectacular at the Niagara Reservoir in 1985.

They were done by the same people that had put on the show for the rededication of the Statue of Liberty a couple of years earlier. They were choreographed and set to music simulcast by 97 Rock. Purple fireworks exploded over Jimi Hendrix’ guitar riffs on Purple Haze. Jaundiced explosives filled the night sky as Donovan sang Mellow Yellow and silver, glimmering pyrotechnics lit up the evening landscape as the Beatles sang Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

I wish I had had some way of recording it for posterity’ sake.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 1

6th grade. We used to attach our locks to our gym bags. My buddy was across the gymnasium and he swung it around like a lasso and let it fly toward me. The bag hit me in the head and the rope wound around my head and the lock planted itself into the back of my head. Went to ER and got four stitches in my head. Saw fireworks for five minutes. Good times. Johnny Galuski - If you’re out there, good times!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

58 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

...The bag hit me in the head and the rope wound around my head and the lock planted itself into the back of my head. Went to ER and got four stitches in my head...

And another piece of the puzzle falls into place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

San Diego Bay 2012.  Plan was four separate barges designed to set off choreographed fireworks to music and supposed to be one of the biggest displays in the western US.  I'm on a hotel rooftop deck with a clear view about a half mile inland.  Computer glitch sends ALL the fireworks from one of the barges up at once shortly before the show was supposed to start.  Some people said that was a huge fail.  No F'n way.  I felt lucky to be there.  That was the best fireworks display anybody will ever see, because you could never get permission to do it that way on purpose.  The concussion from everything going off at once set off tons of car alarms on the streets around the hotel, a good half mile from the barge that went off.

Check out the video at the top of this link (taken from a vantage point much closer than I was).  Note how one woman is literally jumping up and down at how great this thing wound up being.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/an-oral-history-of-the-great-san-diego-fireworks-fail-of-2012

Crouch: When that thing went off like that, it scared the crap out of me. You have to imagine this barge: 135 feet long, 45 feet wide. It’s heavy. The barge probably jumped a good six inches. The tug jumped. I ducked. Everything shook. 

Frailey: This was like every grand finale you’ve ever heard, in the room with you. Absolute cacophony. 

Crouch: It reminded me of Vietnam. It was a lot of gun powder and sulfur. 

Roy: Somehow people were not running away. People were cheering really loudly at the end. They were looking at each other like, That was amazing! I can’t even imagine what’s happening next.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

San Diego Bay 2012.  Plan was four separate barges designed to set off choreographed fireworks to music and supposed to be one of the biggest displays in the western US.  I'm on a hotel rooftop deck with a clear view about a half mile inland.  Computer glitch sends ALL the fireworks from one of the barges up at once shortly before the show was supposed to start.  Some people said that was a huge fail.  No F'n way.  I felt lucky to be there.  That was the best fireworks display anybody will ever see, because you could never get permission to do it that way on purpose.  The concussion from everything going off at once set off tons of car alarms on the streets around the hotel, a good half mile from the barge that went off.

Check out the video at the top of this link (taken from a vantage point much closer than I was).  Note how one woman is literally jumping up and down at how great this thing wound up being.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/an-oral-history-of-the-great-san-diego-fireworks-fail-of-2012

Crouch: When that thing went off like that, it scared the crap out of me. You have to imagine this barge: 135 feet long, 45 feet wide. It’s heavy. The barge probably jumped a good six inches. The tug jumped. I ducked. Everything shook. 

Frailey: This was like every grand finale you’ve ever heard, in the room with you. Absolute cacophony. 

Roy: Somehow people were not running away. People were cheering really loudly at the end. They were looking at each other like, That was amazing! I can’t even imagine what’s happening next.

I saw a clip of this on a show.  I think it was Tosh.0.  Absolutely unreal and looked scary.  People were running away from the ones that exploded really low in the sky.

My wife's was the one at Ron Jaworski Stadium in Lackawanna.  Early 1980s.  The whole display went up, killed the pyrotechnics guy.  The stadium first started clapping thinking it was the "finale" then went into full blown panic & stampede!

My wife still has nightmares almost 40 years later around the 4th of July!

Oh wait... You said "best" fireworks display. I guess I view her experience differently since I was NOT there.  She probably sees it as PTSD.

I think she still feels guilty that she began to clap first!  /smh... Doesn't help when I play the guilt & call her a nasty lady, very nasty lady.  She knows I am joking right.  I am such an azz...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Halloween Land changed the title to Best Firework Show(s) you ever saw?
37 minutes ago, Zaso Art Designs said:

Fixed it, sorry.

No worries. Not trying to be militant about it, but it seems to be a common mistake and I used to be a newspaper columnist for many years and always appreciated editors that caught my errors.

Love the topic, btw.

8 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

No worries. Not trying to be militant about it, but it seems to be a common mistake and I used to be a newspaper columnist for many years and always appreciated editors that caught my errors.

Love the topic, btw.

No problem!

Yeah I love fireworks!

the ones in boston are great.  the have the boston pops playing in the background to add to the flavor.  it's just one of those scenes that if you want to get a seat, you have to get there waaaaaay in advance.  i think people would even start looking for spots days before.  not sure if it's still the same way.

1 hour ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

Good GOD that was incredible. You can see that woman pulling her husband by the arm forcefully off to the left trying to get out of there. The initial 10 seconds must have been amazing.

My story goes back to West Seneca, circa 1988........was mindlessly waving a sparkler around on the back patio with family over, and happened to wander directly over the brown bag loaded with fireworks.

Yep, the entire thing went off all at once. I've never ran so fast. It blew a small hole in the concrete. No one was hurt miraculously. 

Edited by Seasons1992

2 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

I noticed the young girls jumping about in glee 

I also noticed a chunkier woman leading he man to safety