Brady throwing 61 mph?

Maybe I am just getting old, or probably just biased...or more likely a few too many whiskies, but while Brady is an amazing athlete he doesn’t seem like an amazing athlete where everyone gets excited about or rallies behind like Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky. He has dinked and doinked for 20 seasons and he will be remembered as probably one of the greatest athletes but he is Ringo Starr of the greatest athletes.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:23 PM, Jay_Fixit said:

Don’t sleep on Brady.

Agreed. He's kind of been forgotten over the years, but the kid has a chance to be special. Everyone is talking about Michael Bennett and Ben Watson, but keep an eye on this Brady character.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Agreed. He's kind of been forgotten over the years, but the kid has a chance to be special. Everyone is talking about Michael Bennett and Ben Watson, but keep an eye on this Brady character.

I heard @Gugny say once that Brady had that "ohh so perfect jaw line"  ?

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

Maybe I am just getting old, or probably just biased...or more likely a few too many whiskies, but while Brady is an amazing athlete he doesn’t seem like an amazing athlete where everyone gets excited about or rallies behind like Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky. He has dinked and doinked for 20 seasons and he will be remembered as probably one of the greatest athletes but he is Ringo Starr of the greatest athletes.

You aren't wrong

He is absolutely one of the greatest athletes ever but he has done it a different way

And has dinked and dunked his way to superstardom unlike a Brett Favre who was a complete gunslinger and was sometimes careless with the ball but an amazing QB and athlete

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/1/2019 at 7:32 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

he's cheating again 

https://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-NFL-Combine-2008-2017/10243/dh/

Year: 2018 - Josh Allen Wyoming 62 (Left) 62 (Right)

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2019-nfl-draft/2019/03/10/ball-velocity-is-bunk/

The idea of a minimum amount of necessary arm strength does make some sense, but the idea that there’s a hard threshold at exactly 55 doesn’t pass muster. Many of the most successful quarterbacks who actually threw at the Combine—more on that in a minute—barely cleared the 55 threshold. Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, and Jameis Winston measured at exactly 55, while Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Marcus Mariota were at 56. Prior to 2016, it was arguably as difficult to find a successful passer with a 57+ as it was to find one who threw under 55. If so many of the quarterbacks who went on to have productive careers barely cleared the 55 mark, it’s absurd to think a passer who registers a 53 or 54 can’t succeed.

Ball velocity numbers (MPH) from the Combine:   60 - Mahomes

Allen was clocked at 74 mph at sports science...by far the highest they have ever measured and so much higher than the previous record they triple and quadruple checked the radar gum to make sure it was right...

22 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

yeah, he is total garbage and lucky....

you don't talk to NFL fans outside of Bills fans, right????

(hoping so for your sake...)

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

yeah, he is total garbage and lucky....

you don't talk to NFL fans outside of Bills fans, right????

(hoping so for your sake...)

No I do and I also said he will be remembered as one of the greatest athletes of all time. I said the excitement behind him doesn’t match the excitement behind other all time greats of athletics like, Jordan, Ali orGretzky. I said he was the greatest just not the most compelling of the greatest. A minor distinction but I was pointing it out.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/4/2019 at 7:39 PM, Leonhart2017 said:

No I do and I also said he will be remembered as one of the greatest athletes of all time. I said the excitement behind him doesn’t match the excitement behind other all time greats of athletics like, Jordan, Ali orGretzky. I said he was the greatest just not the most compelling of the greatest. A minor distinction but I was pointing it out.

His eventual cheating and PED revelations won't even tarnish him that much.

In Tom's world there is no cheating, lying OR Shame.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:23 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

People have always under estimated Brady's arm strength just because he throws short a lot and doesn't really let it rip a lot.  I've seen him throw some darts and was little surprised he had that much velocity by it.

I don't doubt he can throw it 61 mph.  He just doesn't use it very often because of the passer he is.  

It's similar to pitchers.  A teammate of mine was drafted in the 4th round in the MLB draft.  I used to watch his bullpen sessions when scouts were there.  

He could hit 97-98 mph when he reared back and threw it.  In the games, he stayed around 91-93 mph because of he didn't have consistent control just letting it rip and plus, he could last longer.  If he threw it as fast as he could every pitch...he would last 3-4 innings and his arm is done.  He was a starter, not a closer or mid relief.  

More are like this as well.  Gregg Maddux could hit mid 90's but wouldn't go above 90 mph very often.  

He threw this from the 40, on the line to the 8 yard line.  That's got some velocity.

Image result for tom brady throwing gif

Do the math.  We have distance and time.

It took 3 seconds to cover 35 yards.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

His eventual cheating and PED revelations won't even tarnish him that much.

I don’t really get the PED stuff when people accuse Brady. He doesn’t run faster. Isn’t increasing aerobically. Not adding mass. Not leaning out. 

Honestly, football is largely a game of genetic freaks with an emphasis on anaerobic skill. Which is largely born and not “trained” the same way an aerobic base is. 

Brady isn’t really showing signs of PED other than being better with body maintenance and diet. 

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I don’t really get the PED stuff when people accuse Brady. He doesn’t run faster. Isn’t increasing aerobically. Not adding mass. Not leaning out. 

Honestly, football is largely a game of genetic freaks with an emphasis on anaerobic skill. Which is largely born and not “trained” the same way an aerobic base is. 

Brady isn’t really showing signs of PED other than being better with body maintenance and diet. 

So bring able to throw a football (allegedly) at 61 mph at age 42 is normal?