Gronk must be staying retired...seems to have lost all muscle

I don’t think people understand just how many calories these guys have to consume to maintain their weight given how hard they train. Eating is practically a full time job itself.

Edited by Bangarang

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

They're all on steroids.  When the stop playing, they stop taking steroids.  And they shrink to normal size.  Except for their testicles.  Those shrink even more.

That is why when a DR prescribes steroid creams and the such I cringe

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

4 months ....  I can see losing weight (fat) in 4 months but not all the muscle mass 

to do that I'd think you'd have to be bed ridden.

water retention works wonders, all kinds of neat things to supplement your life out there

every second of his existence was monitored by the team for years on end, this is not like you are living life (i hope)

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

water retention works wonders, all kinds of neat things to supplement your life out there

every second of his existence was monitored by the team for years on end, this is not like you are living life (i hope)

somehow the main source of water I see with Gronk is in a can of beer 

or so his persona portrays 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

somehow the main source of water I see with Gronk is in a can of beer 

or so his personal portrays 

he was disciplined enough to stay in the Belichick regime for many years

19 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t think people understand just how many calories these guys have to consume to maintain their weight given how hard they train. Waiting is practically a full time job itself.

The opposite of models who have to starve themselves.

so what's interesting to me about nfl players and their physiques is how these dudes change post retirement.

gronk and that C from San Diego a few years back (hardwick?) went from Atlas to scrawny beach dork.  clearly they were not just using PEDs, but had been using them for more or less the duration of their entire football career (that LB for the texans who went to Bergen Catholic and then USC was the greatest example, gain and lost an Arnold physique between high school and college and then got ultra yoked up again.  total hero!).

Wood went from a chubbed up big man to a strong and healthy looking big man.  i'm certain he used PEDs (I think less than 10% actually don't) but clearly he had developed some mass prior to going on like donkey kong.  Joe thomas looks terrific now.  he looks like he's at least using a therapeutic dose of test, but he also looks like he built up quite a lot of muscle prior to being a pro athlete.

the size of gronk's arms (i mean the length and thickness of the bones) and his hands is still nuts to me.  at the highest level these athletes are purpose built for their sport.

10 minutes ago, colin said:

so what's interesting to me about nfl players and their physiques is how these dudes change post retirement.

gronk and that C from San Diego a few years back (hardwick?) went from Atlas to scrawny beach dork.  clearly they were not just using PEDs, but had been using them for more or less the duration of their entire football career (that LB for the texans who went to Bergen Catholic and then USC was the greatest example, gain and lost an Arnold physique between high school and college and then got ultra yoked up again.  total hero!).

Wood went from a chubbed up big man to a strong and healthy looking big man.  i'm certain he used PEDs (I think less than 10% actually don't) but clearly he had developed some mass prior to going on like donkey kong.  Joe thomas looks terrific now.  he looks like he's at least using a therapeutic dose of test, but he also looks like he built up quite a lot of muscle prior to being a pro athlete.

the size of gronk's arms (i mean the length and thickness of the bones) and his hands is still nuts to me.  at the highest level these athletes are purpose built for their sport.

...putting PED issue aside for a moment, I don't know what an NFL'er has for daily diet intake......look at some of these world class weight lifters...read where they must maintain a daily intake of 12,000+ calories......retire and drop down to 2,000 daily would cause some rapid changes IMO.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...putting PED issue aside for a moment, I don't know what an NFL'er has for daily diet intake......look at some of these world class weight lifters...read where they must maintain a daily intake of 12,000+ calories......retire and drop down to 2,000 daily would cause some rapid changes IMO.......

i'm 42 and about the same size as gronk was while playing (about 6'4", a smidge under 260, perhaps 15% body fat so i'm not quite as lean as he was).  over the past 6 years on two separate occasions i've torn each biceps.  while barely moving and feeling sorry for myself while recovering i ate a bit less and lost like maybe 15 pounds over about 3 months.  i came back pretty quickly and in clothes most people couldn't tell i stopped lifting or got injured at all aside from the elbow brace i was in.

there is no way on God's green earth that these guys are just force feeding themselves and lifting to have that kind of mass, only to lose it SO QUICKLY after stopping.  dieting and not lifting at all for a few months would have me lose a bit of mass, but i'd still look like i lift.  Gronk looks like a guy who has never lifted, and he was a top flight pro football player one friggen year ago.  all of his mass was built with the assistance of PEDs (and i have no problem with that, what kind of pro football player wouldn't use steroids?).

Hines ward cut down and did triathalons, and a few years after retiring you could still tell he had some solid muscle mass.  gronk's transformation is nuts!