Prog/Psych Music and Discussion

T&C

3 hours ago, bbb said:

I saw Blue Oyster Cult in 78, I think, with Rainbow opening for them..............I remember borrowing my friends albums to get ready for that concert, and I loved them.

Those are some good songs you put up.  I guess i like Psych music!  

Just a guess but I'd bet we are around the same age. That was the year I graduated HIGH school and went into the US Army. Saw Peter Gabriel at Kleinhans, two weeks before I went in... halloween night 1978.

Here are a couple of easy listening examples of psych... the Mainstream label held many but man are they pricey now. Amboy Dukes would be one of them... Ted Nugent aka Uncle Ted.

A NM or M original copy of this would set you back 10K probably nowadays: 

Always been a sucker for the chick vocals... this one features a chick drummer as well...

Edited by T&C

12 hours ago, T&C said:

Always been a sucker for the chick vocals... this one features a chick drummer as well...

Chick vocals.... here are two of my top ones for the 60s psych scene, they also kind of show the diff between the UK and US themes, the UK was mostly about childhood recapture and whimsy, the US was always a lot darker...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QymPOvpShd4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYAkR2hrOnk

Moody Blues tributes to Tim....  the second one is just perfect in the right conditions, maybe their best unheralded tune, but Pinder was the essential glue of the band for the core albums... geez but Seventh Sojourn keeps getting better with each listen....

nah, the first is too obvious to bother putting up here...

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 10:53 PM, I am the egg man said:

?????

ha, one of my faves. My son has a bunch of my old albums as wall art in his room, this is his favorite. And for a time, seemed liked they player Kleinhans once a year for a 3 or 4 year period...never missed em..always slept out at Central Tickets on Delaware to make sure we had fist 5 rows at worst

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Cluster was a German duo that predated Kraftwerk and improvised many of their recordings. They worked with Brian Eno as well. This cut is one of my favorites by them from 1974.  It helps to be in an altered state when listening to this.

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Cluster was a German duo that predated Kraftwerk and improvised many of their recordings. They worked with Brian Eno as well. This cut is one of my favorites by them from 1974.  It helps to be in an altered state when listening to this.

Never heard of them before and I couldn't find them in any album reference books but I can't find my import one so its probably in there. Not really my style but they did remind me a little bit of Mandrake Memorial. Thanks for putting it up, always like checking out stuff I never heard before.

16 minutes ago, T&C said:

Never heard of them before and I couldn't find them in any album reference books but I can't find my import one so its probably in there. Not really my style but they did remind me a little bit of Mandrake Memorial. Thanks for putting it up, always like checking out stuff I never heard before.

that took 3 seconds, thank me or curse me after a listen...

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Oh I saw the full album out there but just couldn't find them in my reference books. Think I'm going to pass lol.

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

That was one of their early recordings. Far more challenging listening. Zuckerzeit (translation: Sugar Time) was very "pop" in that the tracks were shorter and more rythm

By 1975 they teamed up with Neu guitarist Michael Either to form Harmonia. (Keep in mind many of these pieces are improvisations.)

In 2009 Cluster played a few US dates and I got to meet them. Really nice folks and appreciative of their fans. Dieter Moebius passed a few years later but Hans Jochim Roedelius still records and tours.

Here's a Cluster album that is a much nicer listening experience. Very melodic and reflective. Grosses Wasser.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

14 minutes ago, T&C said:

Oh I saw the full album out there but just couldn't find them in my reference books. Think I'm going to pass lol.

I'm too old to start something i have no confidence in  :(

Can't have a prog rock thread without Emerson Lake and Palmer...and I love this particular video which some may not have seen.

There is a dated nostalgic vibe to this!   First, they are playing in the old baseball stadium in Montreal.  The haircuts....and the cool aviation leather jackets...

Love Carl Palmer's look in this video; the hat, the jacket....

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Can't have a prog rock thread without Emerson Lake and Palmer...and I love this particular video which some may not have seen.

There is a dated nostalgic vibe to this!   First, they are playing in the old baseball stadium in Montreal.  The haircuts....and the cool aviation leather jackets...

Love Carl Palmer's look in this video; the hat, the jacket....

Good find, I was going to ask if that was CNE stadium but you mentioned the venue. This was right before they hit the wall and started to really suck.

• Haha (+1) 1