Prog/Psych Music and Discussion

T&C

What about Camel, they have some of the best instrumental songs ever. 

I  lost myself every time i listen Lady fantasy(not instrumental, just a favorite)

Edited by poblano
  • Like (+1) 1

I have had 3 originals of this... sold them all figuring I would come across another. Hasn't happened in the last 10 years so I now own a reissue. Probe put out some pretty good stuff but quantities were limited on a lot of their releases. It's not like we're talking pop 40 though.

Edited by T&C

4 hours ago, T&C said:

Here is one that may work... prog all the way:

Yeah.  My friend loves this song and the band..............I don't think you're getting what I'm asking.  

3 hours ago, poblano said:

The main reason is the complicated prog rock tends to be, the mix of different kinds of music from classical, jazz, electronic, metal, folk, psychodelic even some pop rock and most recently dark and some eclectic.

This is true.  I would think that somebody who is into that could also be into meat and potatoes straight forward rock and roll.  But, I guess not.  

16 hours ago, bbb said:

Yeah.  My friend loves this song and the band..............I don't think you're getting what I'm asking.  

This is true.  I would think that somebody who is into that could also be into meat and potatoes straight forward rock and roll.  But, I guess not.  

To be honest I don't know what you are asking. Maybe, can people who like psych and prog also like pure rock music? For me the answer is sure. Steppenwolf, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Beatles, Stones, SRC, Thin Lizzy, BOC, etc. 

Can't stand Springsteen though... he to me is in the same category as John Cougar Mellonhead.

5 hours ago, T&C said:

To be honest I don't know what you are asking. Maybe, can people who like psych and prog also like pure rock music? For me the answer is sure. Steppenwolf, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Beatles, Stones, SRC, Thin Lizzy, BOC, etc. 

Can't stand Springsteen though... he to me is in the same category as John Cougar Mellonhead.

It was a pretty simple question.  Do you like Springsteen and the Stones..............Your answer puts in you in my friend's category.  Hates Springsteen.  Hates Mellencamp.  I love them both..............It looks like never the twain shall meet. 

7 hours ago, bbb said:

It was a pretty simple question.  Do you like Springsteen and the Stones..............Your answer puts in you in my friend's category.  Hates Springsteen.  Hates Mellencamp.  I love them both..............It looks like never the twain shall meet. 

Stones are a top 5 band for the Jones and Taylor years

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, bbb said:

I don't know man, there is a pretty big gap between the Stones and springsteen/mellencamp as far as what is rock and what is not IMO. I guess if it were presented like this the needle would tip to the Stones without a doubt.

Which of these three musical acts would you consider rock music:

1. Mellencamp

2. The Rolling Stones

3. Bruce Springsteen

Psych and prog to me are two different animals that sometimes cross paths. A lot of the music we have out there that most people know well can be considered prog or flat out IS prog, some with psych thrown in as well... ELO (especially the earlier stuff), Pink Floyd, Steve Miller (earlier stuff mainly), BOC, ELP, Jethro Tull, Traffic, Genesis pre abacab, etc.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

--------------------------

This weekend I  got a chance to hear the 1969 original release of Aoxomoxoa, rawer but far better than the 1971 redeployment.

I don't think I've ever heard any other version other than the one I have, with the green WB label. It's that different?

People never play it at parties anymore lol.

2 hours ago, T&C said:

1. Mellencamp

2. The Rolling Stones

3. Bruce Springsteen

All three.

I have never even heard of Psych music, nor BOC.............All those bands you named, I like only a few songs from each.  Except for Floyd - love them.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bbb said:

All three.

I have never even heard of Psych music, nor BOC.............All those bands you named, I like only a few songs from each.  Except for Floyd - love them.  

Hehe... I think everybody loves some Floyd, they spanned the decades for sure. BOC is Blue Oyster Cult... check out their first 4 albums if you have some down time or want good background music.

Psych music, to me anyways, ran from the mid 60's through the mid 70's... a nice 10 year or so run I would say. Tons of bands that you may have heard of and tons that you didn't. 

Here are a couple of short songs I would consider psych, both from 68 I think.

Edited by T&C

5 hours ago, T&C said:

I don't know man, there is a pretty big gap between the Stones and springsteen/mellencamp as far as what is rock and what is not IMO. I guess if it were presented like this the needle would tip to the Stones without a doubt.

1. Mellencamp

2. The Rolling Stones

3. Bruce Springsteen

Psych and prog to me are two different animals that sometimes cross paths. A lot of the music we have out there that most people know well can be considered prog or flat out IS prog, some with psych thrown in as well... ELO (especially the earlier stuff), Pink Floyd, Steve Miller (earlier stuff mainly), BOC, ELP, Jethro Tull, Traffic, Genesis pre abacab, etc.

I don't think I've ever heard any other version other than the one I have, with the green WB label. It's that different?

People never play it at parties anymore lol.

every song is different for the 1969, even WBOTB has background work that makes it more listenable... they really didn't like it and redid it all, sadly...

this was a good find of a magazine and the Joy of a Toy album by Kevin Ayers (Soft Machine)

https://moofmag.com/2017/07/24/album-of-the-week-joy-of-a-toy-1969/

2 hours ago, T&C said:

Hehe... I think everybody loves some Floyd, they spanned the decades for sure. BOC is Blue Oyster Cult... check out their first 4 albums if you have some down time or want good background music.

Psych music, to me anyways, ran from the mid 60's through the mid 70's... a nice 10 year or so run I would say. Tons of bands that you may have heard of and tons that you didn't. 

Here are a couple of short songs I would consider psych, both from 68 I think.

I saw Blue Oyster Cult in 78, I think, with Rainbow opening for them..............I remember borrowing my friends albums to get ready for that concert, and I loved them.

Those are some good songs you put up.  I guess i like Psych music!  

• Thank you (+1) 1