Prog/Psych Music and Discussion

T&C

59 minutes ago, T&C said:

Just testing the water... not sure how many are into this kind of thing but it's my favorite music style and will always be. For starters:

I have been told that I should listen to Caravan.   This is really good.   

I would have though my first progressive album was Renaissance.  I bought the album because of the Yardbird connection and was surprised by the way it sounded.   But I really liked it.  When Keith Relf left, I didn't bother to follow them.   I did not re-discover them until about 5 years ago, when I happened to hear the "Turn of the Cards" album.  Love every track.

I would have though Sweetwater was a progressive band, although they are not listed on Wikipedia as one.

Edited by Greybeard
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Just testing the water... not sure how many are into this kind of thing but it's my favorite music style and will always be. For starters:

How do you feel about Springsteen and the Stones?

19 minutes ago, bbb said:

How do you feel about Springsteen and the Stones?

Springsteen and the Stones?  Never heard of that group so I can't say.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

I have been told that I should listen to Caravan.   This is really good.   

I would have though my first progressive album was Renaissance.  I bought the album because of the Yardbird connection and was surprised by the way it sounded.   But I really liked it.  When Keith Relf left, I didn't bother to follow them.   I did not re-discover them until about 5 years ago, when I happened to hear the "Turn of the Cards" album.  Love every track.

I would have though Sweetwater was a progressive band, although they are not listed on Wikipedia as one.

Amazing that you mentioned my fave chick singer of all time right off the bat... she had a 5 octave voice back then and was very hot to look at too. Her vocals on "A trip to the Fair" are outstanding... a bit later than the vid below I think.

I first heard Renaissance on the King Biscuit Flower Hour back in the early 70's at my cousins house in Clarence... always stuck with me.

Hope you enjoy the goddess in action:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T&C said:

I grew up with Buffalo free form radio stations like WPHD, WBUF and WZIR. I even did a couple of shifts on WUWU. I did nights at WOUR in Utica back in 1980, one of the last free form FM stations. So my entire musical mindset was shaped by progressive rock, and alternative and experimental music later in life. I still try to keep up with what's happening. I don't want to be that old fart stuck in the past.

And I loved Caravan. That band in your avatar was also one of the greats.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I grew up with Buffalo free form radio stations like WPHD, WBUF and WZIR. I even did a couple of shifts on WUWU. I did nights at WOUR in Utica back in 1980, one of the last free form FM stations. So my entire musical mindset was shaped by progressive rock, and alternative and experimental music later in life. I still try to keep up with what's happening. I don't want to be that old fart stuck in the past.

Apparently I listened to you, but it’s too far in the cobwebs for me to remember anything. 

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

Apparently I listened to you, but it’s too far in the cobwebs for me to remember anything. 

10p-2a shift, after Jerry "Dr. Rock" Krause's shift. I played a lot of that newfangled new wave crap.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

7 minutes ago, poblano said:

What about Italian prog, i just know premiata forneria marconi and Le Orme and really like both

Have never heard of that to be honest, don't even know what the words mean lol.

Share a link and we'll take a listen for sure.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

10p-2a shift, after Jerry "Dr. Rock" Krause's shift. I played a lot of that newfangled new wave crap.

Jerry Krause is certainly a Utica institution. 

1980 was full of new wave crap, kind of hard to avoid it at the time.  

WOUR is still one of my favorite stations during my commutes. Does anyone listen to radio other than in the car anymore? Does anyone listen to radio at all anymore?

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeah, I would put Traffic on the border of probably 4 different categories. What is happening to me isn't now, its more in the past decades.

For instance, this one. I have it on vinyl but for sure not an original... from Peru 1969:

25 minutes ago, poblano said:

What about Italian prog, i just know premiata forneria marconi and Le Orme and really like both

I actually saw them on the old Midnight Special, Friday nights on NBC. They did a song called Celebration.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Springsteen and the Stones?  Never heard of that group so I can't say.

Just working on a theory.  A friend of mine hates Bruce and really is not into the Stones.  She loves prog rock.............And, I don 't know a ton of prog rockers but the few I do, don't seem to like the bands I like. 

37 minutes ago, bbb said:

Just working on a theory.  A friend of mine hates Bruce and really is not into the Stones.  She loves prog rock.............And, I don 't know a ton of prog rockers but the few I do, don't seem to like the bands I like. 

Here is one that may work... prog all the way:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Amazing that you mentioned my fave chick singer of all time right off the bat... she had a 5 octave voice back then and was very hot to look at too. Her vocals on "A trip to the Fair" are outstanding... a bit later than the vid below I think.

I first heard Renaissance on the King Biscuit Flower Hour back in the early 70's at my cousins house in Clarence... always stuck with me.

Hope you enjoy the goddess in action:

Saw them at the old Century theatre about 1975, they opened for the Straws. Great concert. 

1 hour ago, bbb said:

The main reason is the complicated prog rock tends to be, the mix of different kinds of music from classical, jazz, electronic, metal, folk, psychodelic even some pop rock and most recently dark and some eclectic.