Bills Stadium Situation A Big, Big Nut To Crack...

As much as I would like to see in OP and a partial roof like Seattle, I can only speculate the Pegulas have a long term plan, and was going to move downtown all along.  Any of us could be wrong, but doubt the team is leaving Buffalo.  He wouldn’t have invested this much into the downtown area now, to not have in 2023 downtown.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

The Bills are owned by a man who loves one thing and one thing only - money.  And he'll do anything for more.  Anything.

I world disagree. Overpaying for an asset by 165% percent is not what people who love their money do. That's what Terry did when buying the Bills. They were valued at $850MM. Yet he paid $1.4B.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That makes the most sense to me.  Love where the Bills are at.  Why complicate things by building it downtown?  Great tailgating, plenty of parking, and traffic isn't bad compared to most other NFL stadiums.  Retractable roof is the way to go.  Too much of a headache trying to build near downtown.

This is actually a problem for the Bills and the NFL. People who bring their own food and drink are not spending enough of their money.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

As much as I would like to see in OP and a partial roof like Seattle, I can only speculate the Pegulas have a long term plan, and was going to move downtown all along.  Any of us could be wrong, but doubt the team is leaving Buffalo.  He wouldn’t have invested this much into the downtown area now, to not have in 2023 downtown.

Ding, ding, ding, we a have a winner! They don't call it Pegulaville for nothing. Terry and Kim are setting the table. 716, Labatt House, Hoffbrau House, etc. A new stadium will be the centerpiece. Sure, if you are dead set on tailgating you'll find your spots. But a significant portion of fans will do their tailgating in a bar or restaurant that the Pegulas will have an interest in.

This is very much the model created by Krafty Bob at Patriot Place. People tailgate in the lots, but they also have the option of hanging out in one of several establishments that Kraft profits from. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ding, ding, ding, we a have a winner! They don't call it Pegulaville for nothing. Terry and Kim are setting the table. 716, Labatt House, Hoffbrau House, etc. A new stadium will be the centerpiece. Sure, if you are dead set on tailgating you'll find your spots. But a significant portion of fans will do their tailgating in a bar or restaurant that the Pegulas will have an interest in.

This is very much the model created by Krafty Bob at Patriot Place. Sure, people tailgate in the lots, but they also have the option of hanging out in one of several establishments that Kraft profits from. 

Great point PTR.  Besides the 1st ward has so much unused space, there could be more than enough room to tailgate.  If they are all stadium lots, they will also police much more dilligently all of the idiots jumping on tables which which gives the Bills a bad name.

Sadly the Bills are a scandal,  heart attack or tragic accident away from being back on the "auction block". We were very fortunate/lucky when the team was sold to the Pegula's.  The only long term anchor is a new stadium.  I agree downtown would be a great investment into the city, but I am okay with Orchard Park as well.  Call me selfish, but all I want is a stadium up to today's NFL standards that can sustain the Bills for the next 50+ years in Western NY. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Great point PTR.  Besides the 1st ward has so much unused space, there could be more than enough room to tailgate.  If they are all stadium lots, they will also police much more dilligently all of the idiots jumping on tables which which gives the Bills a bad name.

I'll let you in on a secret, idiots table slam in stadium lots.

28 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I world disagree. Overpaying for an asset by 165% percent is not what people who love their money do. That's what Terry did when buying the Bills. They were valued at $850MM. Yet he paid $1.4B.

This is actually a problem for the Bills and the NFL. People who bring their own food and drink are not spending enough of their money.

One might guess that valuation you are using might have been slightly off.

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is very much the model created by Krafty Bob at Patriot Place. Sure, people tailgate in the lots, but they also have the option of hanging out in one of several establishments that Kraft profits from. 

Frankly it’s also nicer for the out of town folks to have options. I’ve been to plenty of sporting events where I’m not trying to lug a cooler and grill but would like to enjoy pre game festivities. 

3 hours ago, nucci said:

only because of the owners. St.Louis is a good football city

NYS helped build 2 baseball stadiums and a football stadium

Greedy owners for sure- I just don’t see the NFL going back to St Louis after being there twice. The last I read, St Louis economy isn’t that great either.

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

One might guess that valuation you are using might have been slightly off.

Frankly it’s also nicer for the out of town folks to have options. I’ve been to plenty of sporting events where I’m not trying to lug a cooler and grill but would like to enjoy pre game festivities. 

$850MM was the valuation Forbes magazine gave the Bills. Like with anything, true value isn't known until you sell something. But considering Bon Jovi and Trump opening bids were $1B, the Pegulas dropped the hammer on that noise with $1.4B. (Keep in mind that the last NFL sale, the Dolphins, was $1.2B, but included the stadium. Bills were team value only.)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

It is possible the investments were more geared towards the Sabres. Everything is right around Key Bank Arena. That said, much of it can be utilized if their is a new stadium built downtown. Personally, If we get a new stadium I don’t care if its built in OP or downtown as long as its done right. 

4 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

It is possible the investments were more geared towards the Sabres. Everything is right around Key Bank Arena. That said, much of it can be utilized if their is a new stadium built downtown. Personally, If we get a new stadium I don’t care if its built in OP or downtown as long as its done right. 

One feature I hope they incorporate are "clubs" in the cheap seats. What I mean are concession areas where you can still watch the game from with better food and drink, but they are open to anyone.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

One feature I hope they incorporate are "clubs" in the cheap seats. What I mean are concession areas where you can still watch the game from with better food and drink, but they are open to anyone.

Can't have that. Only the rich deserve such things.

I would be with the downtown contingent, The “P’s” are about long term investments when it comes to the sports entertainment thing.  The “P’s” legacy in Buffalo is what matters to them the most.  The downtown location works very well with all their other expenditures.  As I said in another post, eventually the old stadium will be taken down, leaving the playing field as part of the Bills training facility.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

IF Upstate contributed to a downstate stadium (they did as part of NY payment) then they (NY) can afford a stadium Upstate.

If not break the state in half as many have advocated.  In reality downstate and upstate have little in common other than taxes taken by Albany.

We are all New York, it’s not two separate entities.  It would be the height of foolishness to even think about splitting up the state.  It would result in less national importance, and create the poorest north east state on purpose.  Why would anyone in their right mind want to be the Mississippi of the north east?  Just sayin, 

Go Bills !!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You make a good point about him overpaying, PTR, thank you.  And I can see your (and many others') vision of Pegulaville coming true.  Personally, I think it stinks, although I get it.  Sharing food, beverages and laughs before and after the game is better than the game, itself.

If they take that away, one friend of mind had a great idea .... we still tailgate at Hammer's - our style - then sit there and watch the game on a laptop.