Bills Stadium Situation A Big, Big Nut To Crack...

3 hours ago, wagon127 said:

There are so many people, both young and old, that say watching a game in their living room is better then going to the game. Statements like this, are why New Era field isn't good enough. HDTV is so good, and the broadcast of games so high quality, that you really have no need to go to games. Similar to Movie Theatres, people don't care to go. So you need to start offering more then what you are offering now. Some people seem to think if the Sabres still played in the Aud it would be fine......

Well I guess higher priced beer and food is "more".  

17 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...what's fake?........

Broke ground September 20, 2005
Opened August 16, 2008
Construction cost US$720 million[3]
($843 million in 2018 dollars[4])

So... did they have to pay "market rate" for all lavor when building in Indianapolis? In all seriousness, doing something in Buffalo NY is probably more expensive than in Indy. What about demolition costs, was the land free there? I could believe $1B.

So let's assume that the stadium seats 560,000 for the regular season. If prices increased $20 / seat, that is $11.2m/year in increased revenue. If total cost per seat increased $50, you are talking $28M/year in increased revenue. (This seems high to me, but for the sake of argument) Assuming you can keep that increase neutral for inflation, that is a payback period of 30 years for the possible $840M stadium. How does that make sense? Obviously... if the team can pay only $300M of it and the public pays the rest, it is not a bad deal for the team. Above that it seems to get a little crazy?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Well I guess higher priced beer and food is "more".  

Its crazy to think that when the sabres moved from the aud to their current arena, all we got was "higher priced beer and food." Its a much nicer looking building, better lit, cleaner, and better quality food, and more places to eat the food besides your seat. THATs what you can expect from a brand new stadium!

On 6/30/2019 at 11:40 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Seems pretty simple to me. Terry and Kim need to tell the City, the County and the State that they’re willing to privately fund a new, smaller, open air stadium in Orchard Park. Build it in the parking lot of New Era and then demolish the old one. If those governmental agencies want the facility available for more than Bills games the taxpayers can fund a roof and move the entire project downtown. I’m guessing that the stumbling block is not the Pegulas.

If you believe what the Pegula's have said publicly, they cannot or are not willing to privately fund a new stadium on their own.

56 minutes ago, mattynh said:

If you believe what the Pegula's have said publicly, they cannot or are not willing to privately fund a new stadium on their own.

I don’t believe them. It’s called negotiating. If they fund it completely on their own it’ll be their stadium and they can use it for whatever they want. It’s a big game of chicken. We’ll see who blinks first. The Pegulas have the cash. The government needs to borrow it.

As a seasonal visitor and absolute fan of both the Bills and the city, I must say that there is a lot of dead real estate that could be appropriated by the PEOPLE of Buffalo in/near the downtown core. The Bills/Buffalo ppl should do what they did in Detroit with Ford Field and Comerica Park: buy up a bunch of centralized junk property near downtown, blow it up, and slam a billion-dollar business in its place. Yes the traffic will be Hell, yes there will be mega-messes to clean up but those are dope-ass jobs to be had and the money will roll in to a point where the city will start to develop from the inside out. This will result in major investment in the core of the city, possibly even a tram/subway down the road. In my town, Montreal, the Canadiens went the downtown-route when relocating way back. Citizens paid a butt-load for It and it took some time but has totally rejuvenated downtown Mtl. The Sabres are not the Habs in terms of prestige, but the Bills are an NFL team that generates way more dough than even the Habs and so cannot leave your great city under any circumstance.  I'm a teacher as well as a 20+ yr Bills fan; just the chance that the team may relocate to the city makes me wanna try for a green card and buy one of those run-down-beauties near La Nova, fix'er up nice and join the Bills' community for real. GO BILLS! BEST GRUB IN THE U.S.A!!!

11 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

The Bills are not moving - that ship sailed.

The Bills are owned by a man who loves one thing and one thing only - money.  And he'll do anything for more.  Anything.

1 hour ago, Chill said:

The league will split the cost with the owners. The State only has to give up maybe 25%. 

Can Upstate afford that?

No, no they can’t. 

IF Upstate contributed to a downstate stadium (they did as part of NY payment) then they (NY) can afford a stadium Upstate.

If not break the state in half as many have advocated.  In reality downstate and upstate have little in common other than taxes taken by Albany.

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The Bills are owned by a man who loves one thing and one thing only - money.  And he'll do anything for more.  Anything.

I disagree- at this point I think Pegula is more worried about legacy than money- he has like $6 billion I believe. I do not think he will move the team from Buffalo unless the city and state give him a terrible deal. 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I disagree- at this point I think Pegula is more worried about legacy than money- he has like $6 billion I believe. I do not think he will move the team from Buffalo unless the city and state give him a terrible deal. 

He dismantled a top 3 defense by hiring Rex Ryan, and in the process set a record for season ticket sales.  He's a money guy.

• Like (+1) 1

For a guy who’s all about the money, he sure seems to give a lot of it away...

I think the Bills are safe in Buffalo until both of the Pegulas are gone.  I pray that’s a long time away.  They both seem like good people who have their hearts in the right place.  If they were just about the money the time to move the team was right after they bought it.  Any fines they would have paid for pulling the franchise out of Buffalo would have been easily recouped in another larger market like Los Angeles.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

While I agree that all jobs are good...”dope ass jobs”?  lol

I am, BTW, not a fan of a downtown stadium. Build a state of the art, retractable roof studium right next to New Era.

That makes the most sense to me.  Love where the Bills are at.  Why complicate things by building it downtown?  Great tailgating, plenty of parking, and traffic isn't bad compared to most other NFL stadiums.  Retractable roof is the way to go.  Too much of a headache trying to build near downtown.

On 6/30/2019 at 9:19 AM, I am the egg man said:

The revenues for the NFL continue to grow. Pushing Buffalo about a new stadium is senseless greed.  

There are franchises in bigger Metro areas barely generating more revenue than Buffalo and 4 bringing in less:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193553/revenue-of-national-football-league-teams-in-2010/

Business is based off of continuous growth. From the NFL's viewpoint it is just another Avenue to get some revenue and they can't set a bad precedent by having one franchise not act senselessly greedy.

On 7/2/2019 at 4:15 PM, billsfan_34 said:

2 failed experiments already- do you see the NFL going for 3’s a charm?

only because of the owners. St.Louis is a good football city

6 hours ago, Chill said:

The league will split the cost with the owners. The State only has to give up maybe 25%. 

Can Upstate afford that?

No, no they can’t. 

NYS helped build 2 baseball stadiums and a football stadium