Bills Stadium Situation A Big, Big Nut To Crack...

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

well look at the revenue of all 32 teams we can easily return to the top half with a decade of winning football and / or a modest upgraded new stadium. So if its purely a revenue question we are not far out and can close this gap IMO.

But no we are never going to compete with the largest metropolises over the next couple of decades, but neither are 15 or so other teams in the NFL...  SO I just don't see any reason to feed the thought that the NFL will force the Bills out of Buffalo UNLESS!!!! (so here I go feeding the thought)

UNLESS !!!!!  Buffalonians pretty much refuse to build a new stadium and create more revenue. If that is the reality and Bills fans take a hard lined approach and refuse to allow a new stadium,  and demand a much smaller investment be made into the old stadium, then yes I could see pressure coming from the NFL to move the team to a city who is willing to do so. Cash is king.....  A Business is the business of being in Business and if one part of that business is under performing well then that's the part that gets moved. This would be do to the fact that the Bills are not doing everything to maximize their portion of revenues, and it will do exactly what you say, it will earn the ire of the other 31 teams

In the end it is the DUTY of the Buffalo Bills to continue to create increasing revenue to the NFL. That's the nature of any Business, and for Bills fans to sit back and think that keeping the old Ralph rolling or trying short arm a stadium build then I do agree that the NFL should and probably will threaten to move the team. 

You are right Terry and Kim are actually do this smartly by walking the tightrope. Not rushing anything turning over every stone and keeping both parties interest in mind. I could see a nicely upgraded stadium in OP as the compromise... The question is does the NFL pony up a few $100 million to help out?

They better, especially since we aren't getting a Super Bowl, like a lot of cities that build new stadiums.  I absolutely would build new. No more half-measures to keep NewEra/RWS/Rich stadium afloat. The one structural advantage of building next to the current stadium is you can save a lot of money putting half the stadium in the ground. I would also go for a set roof. Not a retractable one. (Huge waste of money on something you'll use once or twice and will likely break anyway.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I believe the Bills were dead last in terms of team value. We're all Bills fans, but that is a pretty telling metric. As Promo pointed out, we should be grateful for Pegula. There's an excellent chance the team is not in Buffalo without his purchase. 

We are towards the bottom but this is also after 17 ***** years of no winning.. Wining tradition alone will give us a give phat revenue bump, and a decent stadium should make our revenue generating picture much much rosier

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

(Huge waste of money on something you'll use once or twice and will likely break anyway.)

LOL.. I think todays roofs are very well designed... Seriously how much technology is needed with a retractable roof. I know the 1st few retractable roofs came with issues 

We are an elements town until the team is eliminated from the playoffs then people don't show up cause its cold and snowy.  If were winning and in the hunt then we show up in full force and put the fear into other teams fans with our insane embracing of crazy weather

A roof might be a condition the NFL wants just to ensure those dec home games generate more revenue. It may also be something the state wants so attract more and larger acts when the stadium is not in use for football.

The roof decision will probably fall in with revenue generation equation. Revenue will win if the ROI of the roof is positive in their eyes

Edited by ddaryl

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This could not be more wrong. 31 NFL owners would vote to move the Bills anywhere. San Antonio, Toronto, Mexico City, Norfolk, etc. No Pegula, no Buffalo Bills. Period.

I’m gonna say this couldn’t be more wrong. There were a few people that were interested in keeping the bills in buffalo but backed off because the Pegulas made it known they were putting in a high bid (that came from someone with knowledge of the sale and is still involved with the team)

NFL owners saw that the football market in Toronto was a complete joke and the people there would rather the team stayed in Buffalo.  Yeah Bon Jovi and his team were rumored to want to move the team there but they didn’t have a legit shot at winning the bid. 

The Bills have an established fan base that regularly sells out, they spend on merchandise. Maybe not as much as say the cowboys but you can’t say we don’t support the team. Goodell is from area and doesn’t want to move the team but wants to light a fire under pegulas to build the stadium. They won’t force a team out of the area after the owner spent a billion plus on the team. That would just hurt sale prices down the line

What is stopping the nfl from allowing buffalo to host a super bowl if a new stadium is built? We have enough hotel rooms and we fit all the requirements. Goodell said a few years back that the nfl would try to reward teams that built a new stadium with a super bowl as long as northern teams have a roof. 

If if the team starts winning their value will go up. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This could not be more wrong. 31 NFL owners would vote to move the Bills anywhere. San Antonio, Toronto, Mexico City, Norfolk, etc. No Pegula, no Buffalo Bills. Period.

I suspect the league would have no stomach for a fight to move the Bills and all the legal/PR hassles it would bring.  I do believe they will assert max pressure to get a new stadium.

I am in the minority but I do not see the need for a new stadium.  This is not nostalgic but New Era meets the needs - a place to watch football in a great atmosphere.  I do not need fast wi fi, bars and restaurants.  

• Like (+1) 1

Arrowhead Stadium is just as old as New Era, so why isn’t the NFL banging on KC to build a new stadium?  Pure shameless capitalism by a bunch of greedy old men.  The Pegulas/state/county should invest $400-600 million to renovate the current stadium and tell the NFL to stuff it.

After paying $1.4 billion too buy the team, there is no way the NFL can force the Bills to move regardless of the NFL by-laws.  And if the Pegulas decided to move the Bills, they will have to sell/move the Sabres and their restaurants and hotels because no one in this town would patronize anything they owned going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

oy....

43 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

Arrowhead Stadium is just as old as New Era, so why isn’t the NFL banging on KC to build a new stadium?  Pure shameless capitalism by a bunch of greedy old men.  The Pegulas/state/county should invest $400-600 million to renovate the current stadium and tell the NFL to stuff it.

After paying $1.4 billion too buy the team, there is no way the NFL can force the Bills to move regardless of the NFL by-laws.  And if the Pegulas decided to move the Bills, they will have to sell/move the Sabres and their restaurants and hotels because no one in this town would patronize anything they owned going forward.

The other owners can't force a move.  They can nix one.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I’m gonna say this couldn’t be more wrong. There were a few people that were interested in keeping the bills in buffalo but backed off because the Pegulas made it known they were putting in a high bid (that came from someone with knowledge of the sale and is still involved with the team)

NFL owners saw that the football market in Toronto was a complete joke and the people there would rather the team stayed in Buffalo.  Yeah Bon Jovi and his team were rumored to want to move the team there but they didn’t have a legit shot at winning the bid. 

The Bills have an established fan base that regularly sells out, they spend on merchandise. Maybe not as much as say the cowboys but you can’t say we don’t support the team. Goodell is from area and doesn’t want to move the team but wants to light a fire under pegulas to build the stadium. They won’t force a team out of the area after the owner spent a billion plus on the team. That would just hurt sale prices down the line

What is stopping the nfl from allowing buffalo to host a super bowl if a new stadium is built? We have enough hotel rooms and we fit all the requirements. Goodell said a few years back that the nfl would try to reward teams that built a new stadium with a super bowl as long as northern teams have a roof. 

If if the team starts winning their value will go up. 

I'm sorry. Who are you referring to? Jon Bon Jovi? Donald Trump?

9 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Yes I am referring to Bon Jovi and Donald Trump because they both backed off and didn’t bid on the Bills...

/

Did you know that Bon Jovi's backer was the people at Rogers Communications? Do you really believe they were committed to keeping the Bills in Buffalo?

As for the Donald, well...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• DefenseWins changed the title to Bills Stadium Situation A Big, Big Nut To Crack...

As I recall, Bon Jovi never actually had 1.4 Billion that the Pegula's reportedly paid for the franchise. And as for Trump, latest news reports appear to indicate that he didn't have the funds either and may have committed "bank fraud" with regard to his application/bid... I think most of us would agree that the Bills will NEVER be able to command the PSL fees nor the kind of "suite sales" that major markets could. But with the coming of "legalized gambling" that is being talked about right now in addition to the fact that the Bills regularly sell out the stadium, the Bills franchise still brings in a rather tidy sum of money into Pegula's and the NFL's coffers. Obviously, there will most likely be someone out there with the funds to purchase the team IF it were ever put up for sale, But the Pegula's don't seem to be in any particular hurry to build a new stadium and certainly they are not losing money on the team. At some point a new stadium will be built. I don't believe that further remodeling of New Era would be an option. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out... 

I have never seen a fanbase so upset by getting a new stadium. I would love to see one built like the one the Browns play in. From what I have seen of it, it looks really nice and probably has amenities like their baseball stadium. Almost all the Cleveland area craft brews have a booth. WNY needs to get over loving their game day brews of Blue and Genny. Two of the worst beers ever. 

A new  domed stadium downtown is probably what's going to happen. Limit tailgating to Bills owned lots, aka no more Hammers lot, to generate more revenue and get people to spend more money in the stadium. I know a lot of you here don't want that but the team also wants to draw more family oriented people and limit the amount of drunks at games. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 hours ago, ddaryl said:

We are an elements town until the team is eliminated from the playoffs then people don't show up cause its cold and snowy.  If were winning and in the hunt then we show up in full force and put the fear into other teams fans with our insane embracing of crazy weather

Not necessarily. Some playoff games were not even sold out during Kelly years.

There are compromises between domes and open stadiums which help protect stands but nothing will solve roads issues.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Not necessarily. Some playoff games were not even sold out during Kelly years.

There are compromises between domes and open stadiums which help protect stands but nothing will solve roads issues.

There were 80,000 tickets to sell back then and they may not have all been sold out but there  75,000 or more of us there

5 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I have never seen a fanbase so upset by getting a new stadium. I would love to see one built like the one the Browns play in. From what I have seen of it, it looks really nice and probably has amenities like their baseball stadium. Almost all the Cleveland area craft brews have a booth. WNY needs to get over loving their game day brews of Blue and Genny. Two of the worst beers ever. 

A new  domed stadium downtown is probably what's going to happen. Limit tailgating to Bills owned lots, aka no more Hammers lot, to generate more revenue and get people to spend more money in the stadium. I know a lot of you here don't want that but the team also wants to draw more family oriented people and limit the amount of drunks at games. 

So you are basing a new stadium on needing different beer?

On 6/30/2019 at 12:56 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Can they just update the actual existing structure for safety reasons and stay where they are? Just make it so the thing isnt going to fall down. Does such technology exist?

This isn’t really about safety, it’s about increasing revenue. In short, how do you gain pricing power in an old stadium with few amenities and too much capacity ? That is the nut that needs to be cracked. A climate controlled stadium with less seats would be ideal, but will cost a lot to build. The original design of Rich Stadium doesn’t leave much room for massive redesigns because it is a sunken field. A major renovation is expensive too, but can it give big enough results to add pricing power for tickets and boxes ?