Bills Stadium Situation A Big, Big Nut To Crack...

Seems pretty simple to me. Terry and Kim need to tell the City, the County and the State that they’re willing to privately fund a new, smaller, open air stadium in Orchard Park. Build it in the parking lot of New Era and then demolish the old one. If those governmental agencies want the facility available for more than Bills games the taxpayers can fund a roof and move the entire project downtown. I’m guessing that the stumbling block is not the Pegulas.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

In the never ending quest for new and better NFL stadiums, the Bills recently have stepped from the on-deck circle to the batter’s box. But they may be fouling off pitches for a while.”

Hopefully it’s a 30-pitch at-bat.

• Like (+1) 1

There might be some cities in America where the Bills could make more money than they do in Buffalo, but there are probably 10 owners in the league who know they could make more money in Buffalo than they do in their current city. Theyre never going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Actually the vague titles make me more likely to click on them to see what the hell they are all about.

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

There might be some cities in America where the Bills could make more money than they do in Buffalo, but there are probably 10 owners in the league who know they could make more money in Buffalo than they do in their current city. Theyre never going anywhere.

This could not be more wrong. 31 NFL owners would vote to move the Bills anywhere. San Antonio, Toronto, Mexico City, Norfolk, etc. No Pegula, no Buffalo Bills. Period.

• Like (+1) 4

If we simply wait long enough, the stadium will transition from "old and in need of replacement" to "historical and in need of preservation."

Fenway, Wrigley, and Lambeau are not exactly cutting edge facilities either.

But who would want to see any of those three replaced with the latest modern architecture?  

Leave the Cathedrals of Sport to the Dallases of the NFL.

Soon people will want to see a game in Buffalo for its authentic, historic, and memorable game day experience.

The experience in all of these new temples of football is going to be the same no matter where you are, and always a little dulled.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Seems pretty simple to me. Terry and Kim need to tell the City, the County and the State that they’re willing to privately fund a new, smaller, open air stadium in Orchard Park. Build it in the parking lot of New Era and then demolish the old one. If those governmental agencies want the facility available for more than Bills games the taxpayers can fund a roof and move the entire project downtown. I’m guessing that the stumbling block is not the Pegulas.

...with the rest of the league's "downtrodden owners" holding municipalities hostage for ***** funds, why should they privately fund a stadium?.....perhaps a portion? ....yes.....but if Guido Cuomo is going to doll out public funds, grab what you can because some other municipality will cash in....hell he can us his "Weed Tax".... our clown prince...........

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This could not be more wrong. 31 NFL owners would vote to move the Bills anywhere. San Antonio, Toronto, Mexico City, Norfolk, etc. No Pegula, no Buffalo Bills. Period.

I disagree.. Where are you getting this info. Or are you dressing up opinion as fact because I don't believe this to be anywhere near reality....

Reality is Buffalo must generate more revenue..... However I seriously doubt 31 other owners would vote us out of Buffalo if it was purely up to just the owners. Especially when you see in regards to revenue we are within shot of being a top 15 revenue creating franchise. A solid playoff run and some winnning tradition alone closes that gap significantly. $415 million is the cutoff point for top 15. We are sitting at $364 in 2018.    

A new stadium AND A winning tradition moves us up significantly on the revenue scale. I don't think savy businessmen are really in that much of a hurry to Jettison Buffalo.. especially when Buffalo is building up quite nicely and is showing a brighter future in America

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I disagree.. Where are you getting this info. Or are you dressing up opinion as fact because I don't believe this to be anywhere near reality....

Reality is Buffalo must generate more revenue..... However I seriously doubt 31 other owners would vote us out of Buffalo if it was purely up to just the owners

The league is all for increasing revenue. Buffalo is seen as a revenue black hole. Tradition and a committed owner are the only reasons the NFL is still in Buffalo. Your kidding yourself if you think the Bills would be replaced if they ever left 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

The league is all for increasing revenue. Buffalo is seen as a revenue black hole. Tradition and a committed owner are the only reasons the NFL is still in Buffalo. Your kidding yourself if you think the Bills would be replaced if they ever left 

re read my edit I added more info. I feel we are pointing north in regard's to revenue generation.. This is without a new stadium, add a new stadium and winning tradition and we will close that gap in a real hurry IMO

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, ddaryl said:

re read my edit I added more info

No question the city is trending up. But without any Fortune 500 companies based here, it's never going to have a revenue base that will satisfy the NFL. Terry and Kim are walking a tightrope between the league and the fan base.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I disagree.. Where are you getting this info

I believe the Bills were dead last in terms of team value. We're all Bills fans, but that is a pretty telling metric. As Promo pointed out, we should be grateful for Pegula. There's an excellent chance the team is not in Buffalo without his purchase. 

Edited by LSHMEAB

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...with the rest of the league's "downtrodden owners" holding municipalities hostage for ***** funds, why should they privately fund a stadium?.....perhaps a portion? ....yes.....but if Guido Cuomo is going to doll out public funds, grab what you can because some other municipality will cash in....hell he can us his "Weed Tax".... our clown prince...........

"Guido", "clown prince" ???

Isn't obnoxious political banter supposed to be in a different section of TBD ?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No question the city is trending up. But without any Fortune 500 companies based here, it's never going to have a revenue base that will satisfy the NFL. Terry and Kim are walking a tightrope between the league and the fan base.

well look at the revenue of all 32 teams we can easily return to the top half with a decade of winning football and / or a modest upgraded new stadium. So if its purely a revenue question we are not far out and can close this gap IMO.

But no we are never going to compete with the largest metropolises over the next couple of decades, but neither are 15 or so other teams in the NFL...  SO I just don't see any reason to feed the thought that the NFL will force the Bills out of Buffalo UNLESS!!!! (so here I go feeding the thought)

UNLESS !!!!!  Buffalonians pretty much refuse to build a new stadium and create more revenue. If that is the reality and Bills fans take a hard lined approach and refuse to allow a new stadium,  and demand a much smaller investment be made into the old stadium, then yes I could see pressure coming from the NFL to move the team to a city who is willing to do so. Cash is king.....  A Business is the business of being in Business and if one part of that business is under performing well then that's the part that gets moved. This would be do to the fact that the Bills are not doing everything to maximize their portion of revenues, and it will do exactly what you say, it will earn the ire of the other 31 teams

In the end it is the DUTY of the Buffalo Bills to continue to create increasing revenue to the NFL. That's the nature of any Business, and for Bills fans to sit back and think that keeping the old Ralph rolling or trying short arm a stadium build then I do agree that the NFL should and probably will threaten to move the team. 

You are right Terry and Kim are actually do this smartly by walking the tightrope. Not rushing anything turning over every stone and keeping both parties interest in mind. I could see a nicely upgraded stadium in OP as the compromise... The question is does the NFL pony up a few $100 million to help out?

Edited by ddaryl