Fix the ball

Greybeard

For the second night in a row, I am watching the Dodger play the Rockies in Denver.  The game is ridiculous.  Seems like every fly ball is out of the park.  Hershiser said something the other night about the center of the ball being close to the real center of the ball, which makes it wobble less.  I think that is BS.  The ball has been different for the last two years.  Here are two articles I found that might explain it.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/milb-2019-preview-new-year-new-baseballs/

https://cen.acs.org/articles/95/i26/s-baseballs-materials-explain-spike.html

I never realized the balls were different in the minor leagues or at least used to be.   I am not sure if the relationship between the COR and how much a ball bounces is linear, but that 

is over a 12 percent deviation.  Seems mighty large to me.  On top of that, I wonder what the demand for additional balls for the minor league does on the sorting process.  More bounce balls to the majors?

It should be interesting having the Yanks play the Red Sox in London this weekend.  The field is small, so it most likely will be a slug fest.

Time to get the asterisk out.  This is worse than the players juicing.

Funny you mention players juicing.

The Mets announcers have been talking about the juiced ball too. It's freaking obvious it's the ball, right?

The last time I remember talk of a juiced ball MLB was trying to sell a story of baeballs being more tightly wound and/or being produced in another country (Costa Rica?). This of course explained Brady Anderson and others to a dumb schmuck like me. It took a few years before it became readily apparent that the entire league was on steroids.

I'm not saying it's not the balls, just that I take it with a grain of salt.

Funny thing is back in the 90's all of the steroid-induced HR's actually drew positive attention to the game. This year it may be adding fuel to the fire to the fans who are tiring of the strike-out/walk/HR at bats that are so prevalent.

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Funny you mention players juicing.

The Mets announcers have been talking about the juiced ball too. It's freaking obvious it's the ball, right?

The last time I remember talk of a juiced ball MLB was trying to sell a story of baeballs being more tightly wound and/or being produced in another country (Costa Rica?). This of course explained Brady Anderson and others to a dumb schmuck like me. It took a few years before it became readily apparent that the entire league was on steroids.

I'm not saying it's not the balls, just that I take it with a grain of salt.

Funny thing is back in the 90's all of the steroid-induced HR's actually drew positive attention to the game. This year it may be adding fuel to the fire to the fans who are tiring of the strike-out/walk/HR at bats that are so prevalent.

typical game in an AL East stadium