T.J. Yeldon expects “heated competition” between Bills running backs

usatsi_11647794.jpg?w=1024&h=614&crop=1

Brandon Beane: 'I think LeSean McCoy can still play'

“I’m not concerned. I think LeSean still can play. If not, we would have made the decision to move on,” Beane said speaking to a select group of reporters last month.

“He’s very confident, when you talk to him, that he still sees himself up here, and I don’t think you’re changing that. And I wouldn’t want him to think any different. But we’re focused on this year.

That’s what we have him under contract for, and I definitely think he’s got enough left in the tank to help us in 2019.”

McCoy might have competition around him, but there’s reason to believe Beane’s right. McCoy did have a career-worst 3.2 yards per carry last season.

The Bills leading rusher wasn’t even him or a running back, it was quarterback Josh Allen. But while the Bills running backs struggled week-after-week last year, Buffalo did in another area as well.

While there’s no solid numbers like touchdowns or interceptions to grade an offensive line on, there is Pro Football Focus.

The analytics folks breaking down Bills’ 2018 season graded out Buffalo’s offensive line every week, and for a large chunk of the year, the team’s offensive line graded the team as the second-worst run blockers in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we have to be careful not misread what Yeldon said.   What he said is that there's going to be heated competition at running back.   He said that's what the coach told him.

Well, that's what the coach tells everyone.   That's the work ethic McD wants the Bills to live by - fight for every inch, pressure the guy who's playing ahead of you and be pressured by the guy who's behind you.   That's a matter of course for these Bills, not a commentary on what the coaches might think about who's going to start.   I don't think signing Yeldon had anything to with Beane expecting Yeldon to take Shady's job, any more than signing Tyree Jackson suggests the Bills expect him to challenge Josh Allen for the starting job.   Yeldon is going to compete because (1) he's a competitor and (2) the Bills want competition.   

Logic's comments are, as always, interesting.  I liked the Yeldon signing, but for 2020, when there's a good chance Shady is gone or Gore has hung 'em up or both.  But for 2019, if Singletary shows much of anything, he's making the team.  And if Logic is correct about special teams, and it sounds correct, Yeldon has a lot of pressure on him to make the team.

And Logic's comments about WR are also interesting.   He names four locks, but I don't think there are four locks.   I think that only three of the four are locks - three "starters," if you will.  The fourth guy (Foster, Jones or Brown, I'd guess) will be threatened by the other guys (McKenzie, McCloud, Williams, Sills, Easley, and Phillips).    Williams is an unknown, but he has the pedigree to take the fourth spot, even the third.  Sills is an enigma, but if he shows anything special, the Bills won't want to risk sending him to the practice squad.  

The point is that at those two positions, and definitely at the offensive line, the coaches are looking at more guys with the potential to be contributors on the 53 than they have room for.  The message to those guys is "bring it every day, because only the best are making it."   Even to Shady and Gore -"bring it or you'll be looking for a job elsewhere."  Yeldon already has gotten the message.  Shady and Gore have played their entire careers with that mentality.  

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

We have the pieces in place to be a mauling O line- lets hope they gel and play at a high level. I would love to see a control the clock, cram the ball down your throat kind of game with 2-3 big plays downfield! 

Amen 34.  I’d love to see old school football with the #1 defense run and pass, Int’s up, Sacks and Pressures up (especially Brady) and the #1 run game with #15 pass.  That’s a dream I have for this team.

It will come down to Yeldon vs DiMarco IMO.  I'm thinking Senorise stays because he is a beast on special teams.  That might make DiMarco expendable as well.  Singletary will be the main back by years end IMO.  His pass catching ability might make Yeldon expendable too.   Shady-Gore-Singletary-Senorise is who I have so far.  We got down to Keith Ford last year, so I can see us keeping 5.  Yeldon pass catching upside vs DiMarco special teams for 5th spot

On 6/28/2019 at 6:18 PM, NewDayBills said:

Any chance we keep McCoy, Gore, Singletary AND Yeldon? Do you guys feel that is at all possible  ?

Hopefully McCoy will be shipped off to some team that has a TC/Preseason injury to their #1 RB. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2019 at 3:46 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

T.J. Yeldon expects “heated competition” between Bills running backs

Posted by Josh Alper on June 27, 2019, 7:08 AM EDT

Running back LeSean McCoy said this month that he expects to play the “same role” in the Bills backfield that he has in past seasons, but some of the team’s roster moves suggest they’d be open to a different arrangement.

McCoy has been the clear No. 1 back in Buffalo, but had a rough 2018 season before the Bills moved to acquire Frank Gore, T.J. Yeldon and Devin Singletary this offseason. Yeldon said that the team pitched him on the idea of a robust fight for playing time before he signed on as a free agent.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/27/t-j-yeldon-expects-heated-competition-between-bills-running-backs/#comments

That sounds like a good old competitive, enthusiastic and spirited attitude to me! At least he is saying the things we want to hear!

Edited by Rocket94

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:18 PM, NewDayBills said:

Any chance we keep McCoy, Gore, Singletary AND Yeldon? Do you guys feel that is at all possible  ?

This is the way I see it.  Bills are keeping 4 RBs/FB.  I don't see 3 RBs, a ST'er and a FB.

McCoy and Gore will not get a lions share of snaps during camp/preseason.

They are long time vets and will work just enough to give Daboll a good sense on how they will play with the new line and Josh Allen.

I suspect barring any extraordinary event that both make the team.

That leaves 2 spots for the rest.

Singletary gets one of them.  That's a given but how he looks in camp/preseason with his abilities (especially catching the ball) will

effect who the last guy is.

So it comes down to 1 slot for remaining 4 RBs/FBs.

Yeldon - His primary worth is catching the ball out of the backfield.  He may be in next years plans too.  Costs 500k to cut.

DiMarco - I personally feel the FB is being phased out by Daboll.  1st year under McDermott with only 1 FB in camp.  STs could save him

but saving 3.4 million (after 1.1 dead) over the next 2 years is also in play.

Perry - He is a special teamer and is not a true RB.  If he is a ST force he can make the team.  Costs 50k to cut him which is nothing.

Murphy - Don't see any way he makes the team other than a rash of injuries.  Costs nothing to cut.

So IMO (barring injuries) it comes down to how well Yeldon plays at RB vs. the worth of a Perry as a difference maker on STs.

One scenario I don't see happening is DiMarco and Perry both making the team on STs.

• Like (+1) 1

I would guess Yeldon is odd man out. Barring injury.

Or someone makes a serious offer for Shady that Bills cannot say no too.

For me it will be interesting indeed ho McBeanes handle to issue of too many solid players ate RB and O line

Maybe even WR should be challenging to pare down to the 53.
Bill have rarely if ever had this problem and wonder how they manage the surplus of decent players

I think if Shady shows he's lost a step in training camp he's either cut or traded.  We should've traded him last year.  Historically, similar backs with his style of running hit a wall at 30/31 years old.

Unless one of McCoy or Gore implodes, I could see buffalo trainers hiding mats all around Devin Singletary's house with the hopes of saving him for next year. Unless it becomes clear he's going to become a league leader, I don't see him being a necessary piece this year. If the Bills are serious about keeping all of these guys, they've really put themselves in a  bind somewhere on this roster.

Maybe DiMarco is finally done?

On 6/30/2019 at 12:48 PM, njbuff said:

That will happen, but McCoy or Gore could easily go down or just be done during TC.

Yeldon’s value as a pass catcher should make him a virtual lock to make the team.

And you know Singletary will be here.

What’s gonna happen to the old guys is the question 

Shady is just as good of a pass catcher when put in that role...

On 6/28/2019 at 6:18 PM, NewDayBills said:

Get rid of DiMarco and I am fine keeping all 4. It would be an upgrade because DiMarco offers basically NOTHING 

Here this is perfect 

HB- Shady, Gore, Yeldon, Singletary, Perry (Special Teams)

FB - Zero, None, ZIP. Bills Graduate to Modern Football and fill this role with a TE or OT when needed for short yardage. 

• Like (+1) 1