T.J. Yeldon expects “heated competition” between Bills running backs

T.J. Yeldon expects “heated competition” between Bills running backs

Posted by Josh Alper on June 27, 2019, 7:08 AM EDT

Running back LeSean McCoy said this month that he expects to play the “same role” in the Bills backfield that he has in past seasons, but some of the team’s roster moves suggest they’d be open to a different arrangement.

McCoy has been the clear No. 1 back in Buffalo, but had a rough 2018 season before the Bills moved to acquire Frank Gore, T.J. Yeldon and Devin Singletary this offseason. Yeldon said that the team pitched him on the idea of a robust fight for playing time before he signed on as a free agent.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/27/t-j-yeldon-expects-heated-competition-between-bills-running-backs/#comments

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Any chance we keep McCoy, Gore, Singletary AND Yeldon? Do you guys feel that is at all possible  ?

Of course that’s possible. Is it wise? That’s debatable.

I have liked Yeldon since he was at Bama but he gets nicked up a lot. The old guys will be hurt at one point or another. That leaves the bulk of the work to a guy coming from a tiny college program. If they are set on keeping Shady/Gore I suppose the fourth guy doesn’t matter much because you can find guys similar to Marcus Murphy off the street. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Any chance we keep McCoy, Gore, Singletary AND Yeldon? Do you guys feel that is at all possible  ?

The only way I see this happening is if Yeldon proves to be more capable at special teams than Sinorise Perry. I would say that's pretty unlikely, as Perry is known as one of the better special teams contributors from the HB position in the entire league. Thus far, in both his first and second season as head coach, McDermott has kept a 4th HB almost solely for special teams purposes.

This is going to happen at WR, too. The top 4 sports are locked in with Brown, Foster, Jones, and Beasley. Roberts is also a lock, as he will be the primary KR. That leaves likely only ONE WR spot available at most. McKenzie, McCloud, Williams, Sills, Easley, and Phillips will have to battle for that one spot. If the Bills keep only FIVE WRs, well...there really aren't any spots available on the 53-man roster. 

McDermott loves him some special teams.

7 hours ago, Logic said:

The only way I see this happening is if Yeldon proves to be more capable at special teams than Sinorise Perry. I would say that's pretty unlikely, as Perry is known as one of the better special teams contributors from the HB position in the entire league. Thus far, in both his first and second season as head coach, McDermott has kept a 4th HB almost solely for special teams purposes.

This is going to happen at WR, too. The top 4 sports are locked in with Brown, Foster, Jones, and Beasley. Roberts is also a lock, as he will be the primary KR. That leaves likely only ONE WR spot available at most. McKenzie, McCloud, Williams, Sills, Easley, and Phillips will have to battle for that one spot. If the Bills keep only FIVE WRs, well...there really aren't any spots available on the 53-man roster. 

McDermott loves him some special teams.

The only way I see this happening is if DiMarco is cut and they ax the FB from this offense.  It will be interesting to see what Wade does when the pads go on. Physically he is a beast. I can also see Yeldon catching on if Josh gets comfortable throwing to him out of the backfield and as a safety valve. Depending on how the TE's play out TJ has the opportunity to earn some field time with his pass catching ability.   He's probably our best threat to catch the ball from the RB position and create yards to move the sticks. Especially if the pressure is on Josh and Daboll is coaching him up to pass first, then run only as necessary.

8 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I think there is a chance. All depends on how ST plays out and who Daboll feels can contribute most on game days.

• Like (+1) 1

It's a welcomed change to have talent and depth at positions so we can have a legit competition. Just a few short years ago this was definitely not the case. Another testament to Beane, McDermott, and what they are doing with this team. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don’t know why any of these guys spout off before training camp.  There is no benefit to it.  If Yeldon makes the team, great, but why make claims or statements prior to the competition.  One thing in general will be fun is watching in camp all of the competitions especially on the O Line.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I’d almost say likely, not just possible. 

Unless the wheels come off one of the old men and you cut him in camp, I’d venture the 4th guy there contributes much more than the 10-11th pass catcher.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know why any of these guys spout off before training camp.  There is no benefit to it.  If Yeldon makes the team, great, but why make claims or statements prior to the competition.  One thing in general will be fun is watching in camp all of the competitions especially on the O Line.

You find this answer to an interview question to be spouting off? Do you find bellichick to be overly talkative?!?

“That’s a blessing,” Yeldon said, via the Buffalo News. “Coming in my first couple years, I didn’t have vets like that. Being here in this situation, I can learn a lot from those guys. It’s a lot for me to take with me in my future years. It’s going to be a heated competition. That’s one thing they told me coming in. There’s going to be competition regardless.”

• Like (+1) 1

I would think that management would be expecting both Singletary and Yeldon to be on the 2020 roster, so that might play a factor in the roster decisions for next season. Strong likelihood that McCoy and Gore won't be here in 2020.

On 6/28/2019 at 4:46 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

T.J. Yeldon expects “heated competition” between Bills running backs

Posted by Josh Alper on June 27, 2019, 7:08 AM EDT

Running back LeSean McCoy said this month that he expects to play the “same role” in the Bills backfield that he has in past seasons, but some of the team’s roster moves suggest they’d be open to a different arrangement.

McCoy has been the clear No. 1 back in Buffalo, but had a rough 2018 season before the Bills moved to acquire Frank Gore, T.J. Yeldon and Devin Singletary this offseason. Yeldon said that the team pitched him on the idea of a robust fight for playing time before he signed on as a free agent.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/27/t-j-yeldon-expects-heated-competition-between-bills-running-backs/#comments

Best thing about Yeldon talking is to confirm the front office isn't blind to the fact that McCoy may have lost a step.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2019 at 6:18 PM, NewDayBills said:

That will happen, but McCoy or Gore could easily go down or just be done during TC.

Yeldon’s value as a pass catcher should make him a virtual lock to make the team.

And you know Singletary will be here.

What’s gonna happen to the old guys is the question 

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

That will happen, but McCoy or Gore could easily go down or just be done during TC.

Yeldon’s value as a pass catcher should make him a virtual lock to make the team.

And you know Singletary will be here.

What’s gonna happen to the old guys is the question 

No doubt. I agree.

On 6/29/2019 at 2:01 PM, klos63 said:

I would think that management would be expecting both Singletary and Yeldon to be on the 2020 roster, so that might play a factor in the roster decisions for next season. Strong likelihood that McCoy and Gore won't be here in 2020.

this might be tough to manage in the short term.

they almost need a guy to go on IR yikes ! just to keep him on the team for next season

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading an article on wgr55.com and found something interesting regarding Devin Singletary . Sam Monson from Pro Football Focus was quoted as saying: "Devin Singletary was asked to workout as a wide receiver at the Combine, so some teams had a reason to believe he can be dangerous in the pass game... He was very highly graded by PFF in the college ranks. I like him a lot as a prospect."

If true, this changes my mind on the competition. I had McCoy and Frank as 1A and 1B. I had Yeldon ahead of Singletary based on experience, but if he can show good vision, show he can pick up a blitz AND catch the ball out of the backfield, I think he's going to have a bigger role than Yeldon.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/monson-beasley-perfect-way-treat-inaccurate-quarterback

On 6/29/2019 at 6:21 AM, machine gun kelly said:

We have the pieces in place to be a mauling O line- lets hope they gel and play at a high level. I would love to see a control the clock, cram the ball down your throat kind of game with 2-3 big plays downfield!