Cian Fahey: Robert Foster looks like odd man out at WR, Teams should try to trade for him

8 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

To each his own. Foster had a horrible drop too. And he was playing with the 3s, Zay with the 1s. Not sure you’ll get your wish

I think they'll both make the team. There have been constant comparisons between Foster, and Brown, as being similar threats. At this point, I'm looking more at Foster vs. Zay, and seeing Foster in the same role as Zay, getting moved around the field. Foster did have that drop (I don't think it was as bad as Zay's), but I don't think there is any question that Foster has a much greater catch radius. Foster came so close to pulling in that long throw from Tyree late in the game. Zay wouldn't have been anywhere near it. At this point, I think Foster is more reliable, and is becoming more versatile. 

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

To the Foster mayyyyybeeee we should trade him folks....

For what?  What are we trading him for?  A mid-round pick at best?  We have legitimate depth almost everywhere so a player for player trade doesn’t make much sense.  

I doubt we keep both McKenzie and Ray Ray on the 53, as they are redundant with Beasley.  Don’t need 3 shifty guys.   

We have Brown as a deep threat.  Zay as a constant work in progress. Roberts as KR/PR depth WR.  

Do you want Cam Phillips over Robert Foster?  I mean, what are we doing here?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

What the f**k is this team doing with Robert Foster?

I mean, what more can they ask from a kid...he got cut last year, worked on the practice squad, made his way back and balled out.

Now they have him as the 6th WR in the rotation? That's insane.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Nope. He's the 4th WR on the depth chart. He's making the team.

Last night he was 6th.

Anything is possible, of course, but I really don't think Foster is getting cut.

Did anyone read the recent article from The Athletic, where Beane said he thinks Foster is an ascending player, and where the thesis of the article was that Foster stayed in Buffalo all offseason, that his work ethic has continued unabated, and that he's still doing everything "the right way"?

Stranger things have happened, but unless he absolutely bombs the rest of the preseason, I expect him to be on the opening day 53.

25 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

I mean, what more can they ask from a kid...he got cut last year, worked on the practice squad, made his way back and balled out.

Last night he was 6th.

And he proceeded to drop an easy ball from Barkley. 

I know I know - Foster’s proven enough already right? He should just be handed a significant role “cuz he worked so haaard guys.” 

Let’s all get back to hating Zay Jones now.

43 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Last night he was 6th.

I'm not sure either. He has a good connection with Allen also. He fits the offense so much better than Zay on the outside.

I don't know if it's a mental thing. Maybe he has too many mental mistakes we don't know about.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm not sure either. He has a good connection with Allen also. He fits the offense so much better than Zay on the outside.

I don't know if it's a mental thing. Maybe he has too many mental mistakes we don't know about.

It sounds like Zay starts over him due to having a much more expansive route tree than Foster.  

We cant just send the WR opposite Brown deep every play.  

Edited by SCBills

It's amazing to me how much people make out of the occasional drop. There's not a receiver in the league who doesn't have drops. Robert Foster had a catch percentage last season of 61.4 percent, which is ridiculously high for a guy averaging 20 yards per reception.

Come on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

To each his own. Foster had a horrible drop too. And he was playing with the 3s, Zay with the 1s. Not sure you’ll get your wish

Foster has had one good season in the NFL. Zay has had 0.

I don't see how we cut Foster who is the only QB on the roster with experience playing with Allen who also plays to Allen's strength's as a deep ball passer. If we cut Foster all we have is Brown. If Brown gets banged up and misses some games we have nobody. On the flip side if Beasley goes down we have either McCloud, Zay, or McKenzie that can fill the same role.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Foster has had one good season in the NFL. Zay has had 0.

I don't see how we cut Foster who is the only QB on the roster with experience playing with Allen who also plays to Allen's strength's as a deep ball passer. If we cut Foster all we have is Brown. If Brown gets banged up and misses some games we have nobody. On the flip side if Beasley goes down we have either McCloud, Zay, or McKenzie that can fill the same role.

Zay Jones was the Bills’ leading receiver last year.

look if you want to just make stuff up and not be even-handed because your a Foster fanboy be my guest. You’re entitled to all the ridiculous opinions you want. But you’d convince more people if you made the smallest attempt to be just a little even-handed. 

Zay’s playing with the 1s. Has been since the start of camp. Foster’s languishing with the 3s. His drop was worse than Zay’s. I am not making any of this up.

Edited by JoPar_v2

1 hour ago, JustWinPlease said:

Last night he was 6th.

It's possible that they want to get a better look at McKenzie and McCloud. That's the real battle right there. No way both make the team. They might see Foster as a lock and want to work both McCloud and McKenzie with the one's and two's to better judge them. At least that is what I hope is going on.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Zay Jones was the Bills’ leading receiver last year.

Not on a yards per game basis.

Foster averaged more yards per game once he came back. Also had a higher reception average and catch percentage despite being asked to run deeper routes.

At best we can make an argument for Zay that neither has had a good year in the NFL. But that isn't really a great argument since Zay has had more chances to prove himself.

14 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Zay’s playing with the 1s. Has been since the start of camp. Foster’s languishing with the 3s. His drop was worse than Zay’s. I am not making any of this up.

I'm also not making anything up.

Foster averaged more yards per game than Zay. And all in his first year in the NFL which is typically a large learning curve for a receiver. Higher catch percentage on a far greater ypc.

Maybe it is generous to say Foster had a good year last year. But Zay hasn't sniffed a good year in the NFL in two seasons either.

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not on a yards per game basis.

Foster averaged more yards per game once he came back. Also had a higher reception average and catch percentage despite being asked to run deeper routes.

At best we can make an argument for Zay that neither has had a good year in the NFL. But that isn't really a great argument since Zay has had more chances to prove himself.

Cherry picking stats. Foster averaged, wait for it: 2 catches a game (27/13 GP). See I can do that too. He put together a small handful of good performances. That’s not a good “season.” It’s a decent stretch of games. He hasn’t proven anything, and the coaches seem to agree with me, since he’s in TC running with the threes. But I see you got conspiracy theories on that too. Lol. Im done chief. You’re ridiculous.

32 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It's amazing to me how much people make out of the occasional drop. There's not a receiver in the league who doesn't have drops. Robert Foster had a catch percentage last season of 61.4 percent, which is ridiculously high for a guy averaging 20 yards per reception.

Come on.

There's heightened attention to the one drop because of his past history and early stories from camp that he didn't come as prepared as he should have been.  Hence the shading to the downside. 

I'm guessing there wouldn't be as lengthy of a discussion if Brown or Beasley had one drop.

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Cherry picking stats. Foster averaged, wait for it: 2 catches a game (27/13 GP). See I can do that too. He put together a small handful of good performances. That’s not a good “season.” It’s a decent stretch of games. He hasn’t proven anything, and the coaches seem to agree with me, since he’s in TC running with the threes. But I see you got conspiracy theories on that too. Lol. Im done chief. You’re ridiculous.

Cherry picking nothing.

The numbers are what they are. Foster contributed at least as much value as Zay did on a per game basis. Doesn't matter if the yards would have come in even a single 41 yard catch per game. Zay caught 1.7 more receptions per game but was targeted with 3.5 more receptions per game. By that spread Zay should have caught far more than the 56 receptions he had on the season.

People are usually done when they realize their argument, that Zay somehow has had a good season, is blown to bits.