Cian Fahey: Robert Foster looks like odd man out at WR, Teams should try to trade for him

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

A couple of months ago there was a report that Daboll had changed the QB's read structure.  I think it used to be outside in, or deep to short.  In any case, this year the QBs are reading short routes to long.

I don't suppose you'd be able to direct me to that report? I don't doubt that it's true, but I must have missed it. I'd be interested to read it.

37 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is excellent!  I agree with this. It's a complementary team.   It's what Minnesota looks like.  I'm not sure it's the only way to build a receiving corps, but you describe what these guys look like and how they'll play.  I just think we may very well find that Williams is the fourth, not Zay.  Not a sure thing, I just think Zay has a lot to prove and that Williams may be closer than may appear to some.

Fair point, D. Williams has CFL cred, while Zay Jones has NFL Draft cred. I'll lean Jones, you lean Williams (a solid signing IMO), and hope one of them work out for our Bills.

Either way the Bills are going to field waves of WR and all sorts of mixes of speed and hands. All good to me. If no Bills WR tops 1k yards, but they have 4x 650+, or 2 x 700 and 2 x 500 I bet it's a wining season. It's a passing league, so why not go Houston Oilers and spread it out? Those Oilers teams did not have 2 HOF RBs and a few young bucks too. The Bills will run some still, but the passing game will be difficult to stop because there is no #1.

I think WR is in great shape. It will suck for fantasy, but having 4 solid WRs is the next gen offense. Key on who?

59 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

Surprised he still isn’t top ten for him, probably would be if starting 

Cian’s just a hot-take-for-clicks machine. He’s an idiot and yet locally at least he’s built a following. He’s toilet water dude

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I don't suppose you'd be able to direct me to that report? I don't doubt that it's true, but I must have missed it. I'd be interested to read it.

Sorry.  If I recall it was a credible report directly attributed to Daboll or one of the qbs. I was a little surprised because I would have thought there was only one preferred order. Anyway, the Bills have changed to short first, then deeper. 

On 7/16/2019 at 6:41 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

Living on the edge with potential zipper disaster

:)

gotta play to win

On 7/16/2019 at 6:52 PM, Doc said:

It all starts with the OL.  If Josh is running for his life again, that means the OL additions were all for naught.  I don't see that happening.  And if the WR's don't pan out, I see them going run-heavy and drafting a WR early next year. 

But again, I see Brown and Foster as guys who move the CB's and S's off the LOS to allow Beasley to work underneath as well as open up the running game.  Brown and Foster can get open and even if they have the occasional drop, it's not like opposing teams can just ignore them.

good post all around. But bolded is likely what Bills are counting upon.

so am i actually. Feel Bills have a balanced room with WRs  and of decent to very good players. Brown can be a killer if healthy and Allen knows where he is and when he just got the step on his defender. Foster is no slouch either

On 7/16/2019 at 7:29 PM, Shaw66 said:

People say this sort of thing often, and i think it's incorrect.  

I mean, I agree that if you watch game film and chart throws, you may find that short, accurate throws with touch were not the strongest part of his game.   But I think that's easily correctable and will be corrected this season. 

I think it's all about reads, discipline and comfort.   Something you also will see watching the film is that Allen MADE a lot of short, accurate throws with touch.   Physically, he can do it.  He did it a lot last year.  He just didn't do it as often as he should.

He didn't do it as often as he should because he was rushed.  He came to the short receiver late and had to unload the ball in a hurry, resulting in some bad throws.  He just wasn't ready to throw.   Sometimes it was because he was rushed by the defense, and sometimes it was because he's an aggressive player and wants the big play.   I think that's going to change.   Why will it change?

Well first, this is something I believe but don't really know is true or McD's philosophy:  I think Belichick and other coaches have figured out that it's more important to have positive plays than big plays.  I think they teach their QBs to take the high percentage positive play, even if a decent longer play may be available but lower percentage.   I think the mantra is "no negative plays.  Make every play positive."   I think that they've figured out that a ball you can complete 90% of the time for 6 yards is better than one you can complete 50% of the time for 15 yards.  As I said, I don't know that, but I think it's true.  It's a conservative approach based on ball control and field position.   I think that philosophy is at the core of Brady's decision making.  And I think McDermott is a conservative coach.  So I think McDermott has been telling Allen for  seven months "take the short ball.  We will win if you take the short ball."

I think it's no accident that they signed Beasley.  They wanted a guy with a track record as a great route runner, a guy who will get open if they're in the right play against the right defense.  I think the Bills are telling Allen if they're in that play against that defense, Beasley will be open, throw it to him.  Don't think about it, just throw it to him.   They're telling him to take the deep ball only when the guy is one on one and has a speed or leverage advantage.   

A couple of months ago there was a report that Daboll had changed the QB's read structure.  I think it used to be outside in, or deep to short.  In any case, this year the QBs are reading short routes to long.  Why did they do that?   I think that at the beginning of each play they want Allen to recognize which short receivers will be open before he takes a look downfield, so that when he decides to come back to the short guy he'll already know who he's going to.   I think that will help Allen's footwork, because he'll come off the deep routes already turning to where the short guy is.  Once he practices it in OTAs and training camp, he will see the guy is always open, he'll get comfortable with it, and he'll make the throw the way he should. 

I also think Allen will just be more comfortable than he was last season.  He's had a year to get used to the speed and to understand what he's seeing on the field, and he's now getting a lot of reps and film work.  I mean, for a rookie he didn't look uncomfortable last season; he didn't get flustered often.  But the comments from the coaches and from him made it clear that he wasn't always seeing everything he should.   That's true for all young QBs, and the solution is reps and playing time.  He got a lot of the playing time last season, and now he's getting the reps.  I think we'll see a guy who's much more in command this season (and one who runs with the ball less frequently).   

I think all of that will combine to mean that Allen will throw the ball short more often and more effectively.  Beasley, Shady and Gore are going to be his security blankets, and with any luck a tight end safety valve will emerge, too.  

I understand there are all kinds of reasons it may not happen, but I'm expecting that Allen's completion percentage is going to go way up this year, into the low 60s.   I think his yards per attempt won't go down, because he'll still make all his mid-range and deep throws, but what were occasional incompletions on short balls are going to become completions.  I think the Bills will sustain drives much better as a result, because that short game is a ball-control game, and I think the Bills will begin to stretch defenses to cover the deep ball and the short ball.   Once that happens, the mid-range middle is going to open up, and Allen is deadly on those throws - he drills the ball into tight windows on those throws, and the windows are going to get bigger.  

All of that will flow from two things:  1.  Allen is not a fundamentally bad thrower on short balls; he just needs to be a better decision maker.  2.  Allen is coachable, and he will respond to what he's being told.  

as much as i loather to only take one of your points and respond, as you have many here.

I will    : )
I considered that Allen felt very strongly he needed to carry the team last year. and he gave every effort in that regard. enough to give me dyspepsia .

We should reasonably expect a more able and disciplined Allen. a more effective Daboll and Allen

and no reason not to expect his receivers including Foster to benefit.

27 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

as much as i loather to only take one of your points and respond, as you have many here.

I will    : )
I considered that Allen felt very strongly he needed to carry the team last year. and he gave every effort in that regard. enough to give me dyspepsia .

We should reasonably expect a more able and disciplined Allen. a more effective Daboll and Allen

and no reason not to expect his receivers including Foster to benefit.

I agree.  People call it hero ball, and there was little question he felt like he had to carry the team.  Plus, he didn't know what he was doing. 

I expect this year to be much different.  He is going to be much tuned into executing the game plan.  He is going to take the short throw because he knows he is supposed to.  Plus, this year he will have Beasley and a pass catching tight end in those short routes.  

He's still learning, and he will plenty of hiccups.  2020 is when he will really blossom. Maybe this year, but more likely 2020.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  People call it hero ball, and there was little question he felt like he had to carry the team.  Plus, he didn't know what he was doing. 

I expect this year to be much different.  He is going to be much tuned into executing the game plan.  He is going to take the short throw because he knows he is supposed to.  Plus, this year he will have Beasley and a pass catching tight end in those short routes.  

He's still learning, and he will plenty of hiccups.  2020 is when he will really blossom. Maybe this year, but more likely 2020.

Plus Allen got minimal snaps in camp last year and the starting WRs were mostly gone by the middle of the season. And he had maybe the second worst line in the NFL generating no protection or running game. 

I don’t expect him to be Brady but he should be better. One thing we might see this year with more passing yards is more INTs. Josh takes chances. 

• Like (+1) 1

Who is this twitter poster.  He ADMITS that Foster is the best WR, then suggests trading him because, well, others are making more?!?!?   That's not how you win games.  

They'd trade Jones or Beasly first.   But, keep them all.  Depth is your friend! 

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

Plus Allen got minimal snaps in camp last year and the starting WRs were mostly gone by the middle of the season. And he had maybe the second worst line in the NFL generating no protection or running game. 

I don’t expect him to be Brady but he should be better. One thing we might see this year with more passing yards is more INTs. Josh takes chances. 

I hope we don't get more INTs.   I think Josh won't be taking so many chances.  This year he'll be throwing shorter, higher-percentage balls.   His decision making will be better.  

I really didn't think he looked all that much like a gunslinger last season.   Wasn't forcing too many balls.  

I have high hopes.  

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Right now, after tonight's game, I'll take Foster over Zay.

To each his own. Foster had a horrible drop too. And he was playing with the 3s, Zay with the 1s. Not sure you’ll get your wish