Cian Fahey: Robert Foster looks like odd man out at WR, Teams should try to trade for him

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think the team and the fans will learn quite a bit more about Foster in camp and the preseason games. Is he the guy making big plays left and right or is he the guy who was undrafted and cut? I happen to believe in Foster, but needless to say, very important camp for RF. I understand what you're driving at; if they think he was a flash in the pan and some team makes a nice offer, you consider it. That would really come down to how the team view's him as a prospect. He definitely developed a nice rapport with Allen and that's important.

Yup.

and frankly the risk of potentially trading Antonio Brown for a decent tight end is enough to make it very hard to move him even if you are a bold GM

31 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Wait... Brown, and Beasley might equal three WRs?

Regardless, what's the point in looking at it like this? Every team, every year, might lose one, or more WRs for myriad reasons, be it production, injury, FA, or what have you. Be that as it may, the draft at WR is reportedly very deep next year. 

I’m saying that if Brown and Beasley don’t live up to expectations and are cut after a year and the Bills trade Foster now, they’ll need to look for three wide receivers potentially next year.   Trading Foster makes no sense because he’s talented, young and cheap for the next three seasons. And there’s also Zay. 

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

I’m saying that if Brown and Beasley don’t live up to expectations and are cut after a year and the Bills trade Foster now, they’ll need to look for three wide receivers potentially next year.   Trading Foster makes no sense because he’s talented, young and cheap for the next three seasons. And there’s also Zay. 

I agree with this. I assumed that barring some really great, and completely unlikely trade scenario, the foolishness of trading Foster was a given.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Again the issue is how long are Brown and Beasley going to be able to produce for the Bills?  If either or both don't live up to their deals, he/they are one-and-done.  And then you're trying to replace 2 or 3 WR's next year.

I’d hope that if he’s 4 they are playing well. If they are trash and he still can’t get on the field, I’m not sure you are keeping him either, doc.

32 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’d hope that if he’s 4 they are playing well. If they are trash and he still can’t get on the field, I’m not sure you are keeping him either, doc.

If they aren’t playing well, he’ll see the field. If he sucks then all bets are off. 

2 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I think Foster and Jones start with Beasely serving as the slot WR.  Brown will sub in and get almost as much playing time as Foster and Jones.  We finally have depth at WR.

Brown and Foster might be interchangeable in packages. But Brown is the guy Bills went after.Beasley is locked and can move around.

Jones is the other guy. honestly do not know what role he will fill. But he too will get bounced inside and outside i suspect , depending on package  an matchups of course.

your point about Browns reps as compared to Fosters and even Jones is ideal if all goes as planned 

: )
i suspect "Smokey" is the darling of Chad Hall  lol

16 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...could be and I don't get to see college ball so I'll value your assessment......better point may be whose radar was Foster actually on coming out of 'Bama?.....always surprises out there versus the perceived "obvious"......

When Foster was at Bama, Jalen Hurts was the QB. Jalen is a decent (not great) passer. Calvin Ridley was the primary receiver and was usually open by a mile, even against top SEC secondaries. Additionally, the Tide had very good blockers, mega talented TEs, and a stable full of running backs. Now toss in an injury or 2 and Foster wasn't going to get many snaps. Given the above, the fact that every single team passed on him was a surprise to many, but not completely shocking.

When the Bills picked up Foster and Wallace, a few of us here who are Alabama Fans were posting that these were good players. Others said no which is no big deal. Time and again I have posted the names of players I was completely wrong about (Rob Johnson leading the parade).

I suggest that you tape an Alabama game or 2 this season if for no other reason (and there are plenty), to watch their wide receivers. If you do, be sure to let me know what you think.

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills would let a young, talented WR go, especially when it's a position where injuries are pretty common, they're extremely dumb.

Hopefully it's just the writer who's dumb, because Foster has the talent to be our best WR, not just a backup. We might've paid a decent chunk of money for some FA's to come in, but can you really see someone like Beasley becoming a legit #1? No.

12 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I think Foster and Jones start with Beasely serving as the slot WR.  Brown will sub in and get almost as much playing time as Foster and Jones.  We finally have depth at WR.

Brown is absolutely going to be a starter. His contract and skill set for Allen will dictate this. The only way he doesn’t start is an injury, which def can happen. 

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:05 AM, Doc said:

Without meaning to I think you with the bolded have summed up the receiver situation...... Brown ? Beasley ?Foster ?....... oh, and there's also Zay...... ?

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:07 AM, Bill from NYC said:

When Foster was at Bama, Jalen Hurts was the QB. Jalen is a bad decent (not awful great) passer. Calvin Ridley was the primary receiver and was usually open by a mile, even against top SEC secondaries. Additionally, the Tide had very good blockers, mega talented TEs, and a stable full of running backs. Now toss in an injury or 2 and Foster wasn't going to get many snaps. Given the above, the fact that every single team passed on him was a surprise to many, but not completely shocking.

When the Bills picked up Foster and Wallace, a few of us here who are Alabama Fans were posting that these were good players. Others said no which is no big deal. Time and again I have posted the names of players I was completely wrong about (Rob Johnson leading the parade).

I suggest that you tape an Alabama game or 2 this season if for no other reason (and there are plenty), to watch their wide receivers. If you do, be sure to let me know what you think.

FIFY ☺️

I admit to being a bit sceptical of Foster last year (not when we signed him but during the pre-season games when he looked totally lost). I always thought Levi Wallace was a good pickup - but I expected him to be a serviceable starter or a solid depth guy. How well he played at the end of last year surprised even me and I liked the signing. If he can repeat that form in 2019 and we found a guy who is a legitimate good starting outside corner as an UDFA then you have to say that is exceptional personnel work. I wonder how much input Daboll had in that? Clearly he played a role in Foster but having coached against Wallace in practice I wonder if he at least put a word in McDermott and Beane's direction for the kid. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Without meaning to I think you with the bolded have summed up the receiver situation...... Brown ? Beasley ?Foster ?....... oh, and there's also Zay...... ?

Zay is an unknown but still young.  This is his make or break year.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:03 AM, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Brown is absolutely going to be a starter. His contract and skill set for Allen will dictate this. The only way he doesn’t start is an injury, which def can happen. 

What is Foster and Jones are better?  Brown has not been a star or performed at the level Foster did the 2nd half of last season.

2 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

What is Foster and Jones are better?  Brown has not been a star or performed at the level Foster did the 2nd half of last season.

If both Foster and Jones are better than Brown, that's a good problem to have.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

FIFY ☺️

I admit to being a bit sceptical of Foster last year (not when we signed him but during the pre-season games when he looked totally lost). I always thought Levi Wallace was a good pickup - but I expected him to be a serviceable starter or a solid depth guy. How well he played at the end of last year surprised even me and I liked the signing. If he can repeat that form in 2019 and we found a guy who is a legitimate good starting outside corner as an UDFA then you have to say that is exceptional personnel work. I wonder how much input Daboll had in that? Clearly he played a role in Foster but having coached against Wallace in practice I wonder if he at least put a word in McDermott and Beane's direction for the kid. 

I am sure that he had a role in his signing. Calvin Ridley raved about Wallace. The team knew that he could play.

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...