Cian Fahey: Robert Foster looks like odd man out at WR, Teams should try to trade for him

20 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean he would have to be horrible to get cut but he wasn’t that far off from being useless at Bama and getting cut last camp (and no other team trying to trade for him).  He has all the skills but he is far from a sure thing.  But he is super cheap.

CB he wasn't useless at Bama. He was surrounded by superstars and it was hard for him to get the ball. If I recall correctly there were also some injuries and remember, until Tua came along Bama was primarily a running team (with 1 great receiver) for many years.

I am all for keeping Foster unless a team was offering up a 1st round (or perhaps a 2nd) which is not going to happen, and this only because the 2020 draft is just chock full of receivers like we haven't seen in years. Imo there are 3 draft eligible wrs next year on Alabama who are better than Foster.

Trust me on this one.

Edited by Bill from NYC

48 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...ONLY thing possible would be a STD......BOGO........

You want Robert Kraft to hire him?!?

39 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is the same stain that said the Chargers should sit Phillip Rivers for the first 5 games.

After a particularly inept and catastrophe prone co-worker trundled back to his work area one day, I heard the foreman remark “that guy’s father should have put that load into the sheets...”  Draw any comparisons?  ?

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You want Robert Kraft to hire him?!?

After a particularly inept and catastrophe prone co-worker trundled back to his work area one day, I heard the foreman remark “that guy’s father should have put that load into the sheets...”  Draw any comparisons?  ?

...be careful...the now FORMER radio host may be wrappin' your Big Mac...............

49 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

CB he wasn't useless at Bama. He was surrounded by superstars and it was hard for him to get the ball. If I recall correctly there were also some injuries and remember, until Tua came along Bama was primarily a running team (with 1 great receiver) for many years.

I am all for keeping Foster unless a team was offering up a 1st round (or perhaps a 2nd) which is not going to happen, and this only because the 2020 draft is just chock full of receivers like we haven't seen in years. Imo there are 3 draft eligible wrs next year on Alabama who are better than Foster.

Trust me on this one.

I respect you on your Bama (though you know there’s a little bias).  My main point was he was a pretty big recruit and couldn’t play there.  And he was pretty bad in camp, got cut, and literally no other team put a claim on him.  I salute him for his second half but he is hard from a lock to make the team (I would bet he does).  And honestly with the game on the line, I don’t fully trust him yet.  That’s why I would love a true number 1 but hopefully someone emerges. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I respect you on your Bama (though you know there’s a little bias).  My main point was he was a pretty big recruit and couldn’t play there.  And he was pretty bad in camp, got cut, and literally no other team put a claim on him.  I salute him for his second half but he is hard from a lock to make the team (I would bet he does).  And honestly with the game on the line, I don’t fully trust him yet.  That’s why I would love a true number 1 but hopefully someone emerges. 

He’s a hard lock.   You don’t give up on a guy who showed what he did in the second half of last season just because of what happened prior to that. It’s irrelevant. 

56 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Trust me on this one.

...could be and I don't get to see college ball so I'll value your assessment......better point may be whose radar was Foster actually on coming out of 'Bama?.....always surprises out there versus the perceived "obvious"......

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am all for keeping Foster unless a team was offering up a 1st round (or perhaps a 2nd) which is not going to happen, and this only because the 2020 draft is just chock full of receivers like we haven't seen in years. There might actually be 3 draft eligible wrs  next year just on Alabama.

Trust me on this one.

The thing is, you know what you have in Foster (to a degree) and if these guys are as good as you say, they'll be high 1st rounders.  Can you assure getting them with the 1st round you'll get back in trade and will they pan out?  But I doubt any team would trade a 1st for him and a 2nd isn't worth even listening to.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Fosters still a decent risk and it miiiight be a chance to kick in value at his highest point if you aren’t sure of him. 

I do think that he’s a much better candidate for a player swap than a draft pick though. Even that’s tough though. Does a team like KC maybe take a shot at him being their deep threat and what type of immediate talent do you have to get back as a GM to risk the possibility of foster exploding there?  A lot has to line up to even start the discussion 

Nope. At least please no.

There is nothing wrong with having two WR’s that can take the top off of a defense. Especially if one gets hurt.

IMO, trading  Foster would be dumb.

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Nope. At least please no.

There is nothing wrong with having two WR’s that can take the top off of a defense. Especially if one gets hurt.

IMO, trading  Foster would be dumb.

There isn’t. And he’s worth a good bit. Hence I’m not talking picks. But if he’s a legit 4 on our depth chart I’d think twice about a starting caliber TE, or a pass rusher opposite Hughes (what pick would foster/Shaq need with them for a clowney for instance).  

I’m only doing some devils advocate work here. It would take far too many items lining up to make it anything substantially possible 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

There isn’t. And he’s worth a good bit. Hence I’m not talking picks. But if he’s a legit 4 on our depth chart I’d think twice about a starting caliber TE, or a pass rusher opposite Hughes (what pick would foster/Shaq need with them for a clowney for instance).  

I’m only doing some devils advocate work here. It would take far too many items lining up to make it anything substantially possible 

Again the issue is how long are Brown and Beasley going to be able to produce for the Bills?  If either or both don't live up to their deals, he/they are one-and-done.  And then you're trying to replace 2 or 3 WR's next year.

8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Fosters still a decent risk and it miiiight be a chance to kick in value at his highest point if you aren’t sure of him. 

I do think that he’s a much better candidate for a player swap than a draft pick though. Even that’s tough though. Does a team like KC maybe take a shot at him being their deep threat and what type of immediate talent do you have to get back as a GM to risk the possibility of foster exploding there?  A lot has to line up to even start the discussion 

It would make more sense if Hill was likely to receive a longer suspension or even find himself on the chopping block. Right now, it LOOKS like 4 games.

On another note, I think I'd be extremely hesitant to trade offensive personnel to Andy Reid. If the Chiefs are in the market for Foster, I'm probably even more inclined to keep him.

I think it's within the real of possibility that Foster was a flash in the pan, but I don't believe that to be the case. As the overwhelming number of posters have stated, even if a 2nd year receiver with tons of talent is relegated to 4th WR, why are you getting rid of him? It's not like we're looking at some huge haul for his services at this point in his career.

Edited by LSHMEAB

Prediction, Robert Foster is the clear #1 in Buffalo by year end.

Think James Lofton.

I think Buffalo sets packages depending on down and distance.

No one is the '#1 WR' which is the way many teams are trending.

Mid situations (10 yds) Foster and Zay outside, Beasley in the slot

long situation (15 yds+ to first down) Brown and Foster on the outside, Jones or Beasley in the slot, catching RB like Yeldon in the backfield.

Bad situation (20+ yds) 4 WR, Jones and Brown outside, Jones and Beasley in the slots, HOF RB in the backfield

I formation Brown or Foster outside, Jones on the other, HOF RB in the backfield

Injury to Brown? Jones outside, Beasley slot

Injury to Foster? Jones outside, Beasley slot

Injury to Jones? Brown and Foster outside, Beasley slot

Injury to Beasley, Brown and Foster outside, Jones in slot

win, win, win, win

A huge improvement and depth to WR.

McDermott has already said, many times, he does not want a '#1' who needs to be fed. As a DC this makes sense.

If there is a clear #1 it is easy to try to game plan for that #1 (not easy to shut down unless you have Tre White :) )

If there are 3-4 capable WR and no one that need to be fed, who do you try to close down?

In this case the goal is disrupting the QB, but JA can run, and proved it. Take away JA's 1+2 read and he scrambles.

Buffalo is not allowing a #1 WR to key on, but will line up 2-4 capable WR every play.

Without a single WR to key on, the key is JA, and JA can do damage in that situation.

It's a DC controlling offense by doing what DCs fear the most.

Throwing waves of situation dependent formations and WR depth with 4 x 500-1k WRs.

They are at least 4 deep in 500-1k WRs. Two long bomb targets to emphasize JA's strength and 2 slot guys.

Two of them can play inside out (Jones and Brown)

Then we have wild cards in McKenzie, Duke, Roberts and Sills.

Add in pass catching RB TJ Yeldon, and 2 HOF RBs in Gore and Shady.

I see 7 WR on this team, with Daboll being able to mix up packages based on the situation.

There is no AB, or Julio Jones etc that needs to be fed every down.

spread em out, and pick your poison, kind of like GB and New England do

The key now is Josh Allen.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

It would make more sense if Hill was likely to receive a longer suspension or even find himself on the chopping block. Right now, it LOOKS like 4 games.

On another note, I think I'd be extremely hesitant to trade offensive personnel to Andy Reid. If the Chiefs are in the market for Foster, I'm probably even more inclined to keep him.

I think it's within the real of possibility that Foster was a flash in the pan, but I don't believe that to be the case. As the overwhelming number of posters have stated, even if a 2nd year receiver with tons of talent is relegated to 4th WR, why are you getting rid of him? It's not like we're looking at some huge haul for his services at this point in his career.

As ive said... it would take a lot...

A) team thinks he’s not the guy we saw last November long term so he is max value before he suits up again and want to cash out

and/or

B) they can add an immediate quality starter instead of enjoying his depth 

I’m all for excellent depth and your 4th wr plays a lot. He could be a guy to move though, in a perfect situation. 90% of the roster is unlikely to be traded but could be if stars aligned though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

As ive said... it would take a lot...

A) team thinks he’s not the guy we saw last November long term so he is max value before he suits up again and want to cash out

and/or

B) they can add an immediate quality starter instead of enjoying his depth 

I’m all for excellent depth and your 4th wr plays a lot. He could be a guy to move though, in a perfect situation. 90% of the roster is unlikely to be traded but could be if stars aligned though.

I think the team and the fans will learn quite a bit more about Foster in camp and the preseason games. Is he the guy making big plays left and right or is he the guy who was undrafted and cut? I happen to believe in Foster, but needless to say, very important camp for RF. I understand what you're driving at; if they think he was a flash in the pan and some team makes a nice offer, you consider it. That would really come down to how the team view's him as a prospect. He definitely developed a nice rapport with Allen and that's important.

The premise of odd man out is not far fetched from a non Bills fan , who knows not how Foster turned his game around last year.And seems to have become  a favorite target of Josh.

Most of Us know the back story and are Foster Fans.

weird having so much potential at WR.

I myself find it hard to find good trade value for him anyway. if he plays well preseason the Bills will wish to keep him.

also on my mind is developing your youth. Robert fits that role well. If Bills have some red flags on him ( ?? ) then it is another story of course.

But he seems the McBeane prototypical player to me.

go Bills

Edited by 3rdand12

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Again the issue is how long are Brown and Beasley going to be able to produce for the Bills?  If either or both don't live up to their deals, he/they are one-and-done.  And then you're trying to replace 2 or 3 WR's next year.

Wait... Brown, and Beasley might equal three WRs?

Regardless, what's the point in looking at it like this? Every team, every year, might lose one, or more WRs for myriad reasons, be it production, injury, FA, or what have you. Be that as it may, the draft at WR is reportedly very deep next year.