PFF says Bills still suck

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

False. You'll note I don't come at you for anti Allen stuff. Because your takes are at least marginally original and mostly respectable and respectful.

I only come at idiots, and you're not one.

My stance changed quite a bit over the last 6 weeks of the season. My questions revolve around the short passing game and the recognition to get the ball to the right spot quickly.

If he can't get this down to the point you'd consider him average, he'll never take the next step. There's almost no chance he's gonna be a total bust; he's too talented. There's a chance he will just be a talented QB who never gets over the hump into the top 10 area. If he masters the short game, he's a franchise QB.

I do think some posters are sensitive to any critique, but I appreciate the compliment. I was much more harsh on Allen before the lightbulb seemed to come on after the injury. I need to see it to believe it; that's still pretty much where I'm at with Josh, although my perception of his ceiling definitely went up. I do still have those lingering doubts about that short game.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

My stance changed quite a bit over the last 6 weeks of the season. My questions revolve around the short passing game and the recognition to get the ball to the right spot quickly.

If he can't get this down to the point you'd consider him average, he'll never take the next step. There's almost no chance he's gonna be a total bust; he's too talented. There's a chance he will just be a talented QB who never gets over the hump into the top 10 area. If he masters the short game, he's a franchise QB.

I do think some posters are sensitive to any critique, but I appreciate the compliment. I was much more harsh on Allen before the lightbulb seemed to come on after the injury. I need to see it to believe it; that's still pretty much where I'm at with Josh, although my perception of his ceiling definitely went up. I do still have those lingering doubts about that short game.

So I am almost in the same place though it wasn't my perception of his ceiling that went up..... I always even at the draft said his ceiling was incredibly high..... what went up for me watching him last year was my perception of his floor. I thought there was a chance coming out that he could bust because to me if you haven't got a short and intermediate game it is hard to survive however good your deep ball is because you won't move the chains consistently. What I had undervalued was his ability to move the chains with his legs. Bills fans "treated" to three years of Tyrod know as well as anyone that if you can move the chains with your legs and throw the deep ball well giving you the big play threat (which was absolutely Tyrod's method in year one... it got a bit less clear what he was trying to do as time went on) then your floor is a guy who can start in the league. So if we take that as his floor then anything that he can build on that with towards his ceiling is a major win. If he gets to his ceiling we are talking elite QB in my mind. If he gets 75% of the way there he could be a top 10 guy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So I am almost in the same place though it wasn't my perception of his ceiling that went up..... I always even at the draft said his ceiling was incredibly high..... what went up for me watching him last year was my perception of his floor. 

Ya know. I'm on the same page when I really think about it. It was definitely more the floor than the ceiling that changed. Maybe a little bit of both. The floor changed because of the unexpected mobility and drive. I would say the ceiling also went up because of those factors. It's almost impossible to envision him as a bust because of the talent and the fact that he's a guy who will relentlessly work at getting better. What I will say on the negative side is I could envision a Tannehill situation if he doesn't improve his short game pretty substantially. A guy who's too good to get rid of, but not quite good enough. I know he's gonna work hard, so we shall see.