PFF says Bills still suck

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In other news, Water is still Wet

Just so I'm clear, it's your opinion that, even with all the additions to the roster, there has been no improvement?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So does PFF suck or do we like them (see the Hyde thread)?  Some of you need to make up your minds.

personally, I think analytics doesn’t work in football as much as other sports.  They don’t know playcalls or player assignments.  I like most of our additions though I think we are still lacking st receiver.  We’ll see.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:29 PM, BuffaloBillies said:

Here is their building...

Being in Cincinnati, they are likely Bengals fans.

Best way to get 'em back will be week 3, the home opener.

Untitled-1.jpg

Lol.  I take it the Bengals/Andy Dalton love his passed

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...who really cares and what the hell difference does it make anyhow?....we'll start "settling it up" come September 8 and beyond......in the meantime, do NOT knot your nylons over urinalist drivel......with "turn 'em painfully BLUE"......

I never quite understand your idiomatic expressions. But I think I agree!

I thought PFF relied on tons of stats. They don't even mention the new WRs. Seriously?

As for the Pats*, I see VERY few people calling them the most talented roster despite their SB wins and constant winning seasons. Better coached, prepared, etc. sure. But the roster? 

Seems that PFF are as clueless as other "experts". In fact, I hope there is a site ranking these "experts" predictions!

On 6/27/2019 at 12:14 PM, I am the egg man said:

Yeah, but look at the bright side, see who was rated 30th and 31st ? Dolphins and Jets.

No doubt all the teams tah they ranked from 21st to 32nd besides us all should have been higher too.  

Obviously PFF with their anti-Bills bias has it all inverted.  

On 6/27/2019 at 5:51 PM, Darth Bill said:

Well they do kind of suck but are improving. 29th? No way! Maybe 19th or 20th. That's where they been for 20 years now .... good enough to tease and compete now and then bad enough to always have the wheels come off in the end. Here's to hoping against hope as I do every year that this is finally going to be a good year.

If McBeane were doing a good job we would indisputably have at least an average roster going into their 3rd season.  It's questionable whether the roster if even better than it was when they inherited the team.  

The OL is worse, the DL is worse simply due to aging players and the fact that they haven't brought anyone of impact on with Oliver pending, the WRs aren't as good, the TEs about the same.  

The secondary is better but the LBs are about the same.  

So even if we bump it to 20th I'm not sure that's a big endorsement of their methodologies.  I don't subscribe to ESPN so I don't know the rankings, but there are a whole lot of "pendings" that will determine our season, many include a wealth of injury issue players, some of which are currently playing out unfavorably.  Kroft and Morse among them.  So until some of those "pendings" start tilting in the favorable direction it's fair that we get ranking in the bottom quartile somewhere.  

Pendings:  

Injury concern players:  Mose, Brown, Kroft, Knox, Murphy to name a few.  All are key players in need areas and the "solutions" as such if we're going to improve this season.  

Performance: 

Allen

Oliver

Singletary

Jones

Foster

Shady

Gore

Brown

Beasley

Knox 

Sure, if everything works out like we've been sold then great, but honestly, what are the odds, particularly with some of those risks taken (Morse, Kroft) already bearing out.  

18 minutes ago, Ronin said:

If McBeane were doing a good job we would indisputably have at least an average roster going into their 3rd season.  It's questionable whether the roster if even better than it was when they inherited the team.  

The OL is worse, the DL is worse simply due to aging players and the fact that they haven't brought anyone of impact on with Oliver pending, the WRs aren't as good, the TEs about the same.  

The secondary is better but the LBs are about the same.  

So even if we bump it to 20th I'm not sure that's a big endorsement of their methodologies.  I don't subscribe to ESPN so I don't know the rankings, but there are a whole lot of "pendings" that will determine our season, many include a wealth of injury issue players, some of which are currently playing out unfavorably.  Kroft and Morse among them.  So until some of those "pendings" start tilting in the favorable direction it's fair that we get ranking in the bottom quartile somewhere.  

Pendings:  

Injury concern players:  Mose, Brown, Kroft, Knox, Murphy to name a few.  All are key players in need areas and the "solutions" as such if we're going to improve this season.  

Performance: 

Allen

Oliver

Singletary

Jones

Foster

Shady

Gore

Brown

Beasley

Knox 

Sure, if everything works out like we've been sold then great, but honestly, what are the odds, particularly with some of those risks taken (Morse, Kroft) already bearing out. 

You could compile a lost of injury risks for teams ahead of the Bills on that ranking.  No one ranks teams based on potentially losing players to injury.

And the ranking is just a guess at best.  How many of these sites get it right?

On 6/27/2019 at 11:38 PM, WideNine said:

PFF boast about their stats all the time, but I think they just can't help putting a thumb on the scale when it comes to the Bills. At least they give us something to B word about:)

The Bills ranked 30th on Offense: That is with them starting 4 different QBs, fielded almost an entire offense of practice squad guys and cast offs.

The Bills were 2nd in overall Defense - this area to me has arguably improved - on paper. I know we lost Kyle, but I think the additions they have made, the guys that are back healthy, and the experience gained by all the 1st year players last year can only take this group to another level.  

Either way, if we averaged the offensive roster as 30th, and the defensive roster as 2nd the Bills roster would land at about the middle of the pack, and that is where I think the Bills deserve to be till the Offense and Special Teams catches up a bit to the level of play of the defense.

Interesting perspective. 

Why would PFF have a bias against the Bills? 

Keep in mind, that with that same exact offense of practice squad guys and cast offs" Barkley, literally coming to the Bills off of a sofa, posted our best passing game of the season in his only start.  How could that possibly be?  Pure luck?  

And yes, the Bills were 2nd in defense in yards, but in scoring we were 18th, in Red Zone D we were 30th.  Not sure, but perhaps whomever did the analyses for PFF considered that.  

What's more relevant, Red Zone defense or overall yardage defense?  If they measured the outcome of games by yardage attained, we'd have been 7-8-1.  

Also, if our defense was so good, then why are the 8 teams we held below 300 yards, again, using yardage at the measure, all but entirely below-average?  

Four of those games were the horrifically bad Jets and Fins ranked 29th and 31st in yardage offense, 20th ranked Minny, 21st ranked Chicago, 25th ranked Tennessee, and 15th ranked Houston.  

Of the 6 teams that we played having top-12 yardage offenses we lost all 6 games and allowed an average of 382 yards against them.  Those teams averaged 31 ppg against us.  Does that sound like a good defense?  If you ask me it looks like one that's only "good" against average or worse offenses but equally bad against above-average offenses.  

Edited by Ronin

On 6/28/2019 at 6:48 AM, WideRightRevenge said:

It was so nice to read a piece about last year's roster posted by PFF in June 2019.ed on current roster dynamics.

Or, maybe our roster isn't as upgraded as so many say it is.  Talk is cheap.  

A lot of cognitive dissonance going on here.  

On 6/28/2019 at 7:19 AM, nucci said:

Why should we care about this or let it bother us?

The perpetual question-du-jour.  

On 6/29/2019 at 7:06 PM, Jerome007 said:

As for the Pats*, I see VERY few people calling them the most talented roster despite their SB wins and constant winning seasons. Better coached, prepared, etc. sure. But the roster? 

It hasn't hurt to have had the GOAT at QB and TE, not to mention, despite not having top-notch skill-position talent otherwise, Belichick realizes that throughout the years as still today it all starts with the lines.  I wish our FO built our team like that.  

It also hasn't hurt to have had 6 gimme games every season, which win or lose, has allowed the Pats to all but coast into the post-season, usually with a 1st-round bye, thereby allowing them to not get nearly as beaten up as most teams that get to the same point.  

On 6/28/2019 at 6:48 AM, WideRightRevenge said:

It was so nice to read a piece about last year's roster posted by PFF in June 2019.

That's the prompt reporting that's necessary to keep all fans up to speed on current roster dynamics.

Great work PFF. 

Maybe I'll just replay last year's games this year so my watching experience of their player ratings matches their "2019 roster rating". 

I missed this the first time. And I didn’t want to give PFF the click.  Are you saying that they totally ignored the off-season additions? 

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

I missed this the first time. And I didn’t want to give PFF the click.  Are you saying that they totally ignored the off-season additions? 

It's in the initial post.  No, they didn't, they mentioned every change.  

The offensive line was revamped with the likes of Mitch Morse, Cody Ford, Ty Nsekhe, Quinton Spain, Spencer Long, Jon Feliciano and LaAdrian Waddle. Buffalo added depth and competition to the running back room with Frank Gore, Devin Singletary, T.J. Yeldon and Senorise Perry. The team also upgraded Josh Allen’s weapons at wide receiver and tight end. John Brown, Cole Beasley, Andre Roberts, Tyler Kroft, Dawson Knox and Lee Smith are just some of the new additions to the 2019 roster.

While addressing the offense was high on Buffalo’s to-do list, they also added some starting talent and depth to the defense with Ed Oliver, Kevin Johnson, E.J. Gaines, Vosean Joseph and others.

The Bills may not have made a lot of splashy signings or moves this offseason, but you could argue that this is one of deepest rosters Buffalo has produced in several years.

The overall roster and depth may be improved, but Pro Football Focus (PFF) is not impressed with Buffalo’s 2019 roster compared to the rest of the league.

See, part of the problem here is that so many people assume that the other 31 teams are simply remaining idle and also not improving when the reality is the opposite.  Who knows why he said that, some things simply have no viable explanation.  

Edited by Ronin
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

^this guy :lol:

You again, adding nothing.

Why not defend the additions?

John Brown and Cole Beasley didn’t scare anyone last year. One 1,000 yards season between the two. They improve the WRs from worst in the league to hopefully not worst in the league. 

The O-line is hopefully much better, but that remains to be seen. One year ago how many people who are positive about the new players had even heard of Mitch Morse, Jon Feliciano, Ty Nsecke etc? I’m sure some, but it’s a clear case of rose-colored glasses and hope. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chemical said:

You again, adding nothing.

Why not defend the additions?

John Brown and Cole Beasley didn’t scare anyone last year. One 1,000 yards season between the two. They improve the WRs from worst in the league to hopefully not worst in the league. 

The O-line is hopefully much better, but that remains to be seen. One year ago how many people who are positive about the new players had even heard of Mitch Morse, Jon Feliciano, Ty Nsecke etc? I’m sure some, but it’s a clear case of rose-colored glasses and hope. 

Because it's the same cast of wet diapers doing wet diaper things. And uniformly, these posters, like yourself, have an over-inflated view of the brilliance of themselves and the sheer trash they crusade-post. Broken records and SSDD negativity isn't worth any other response. Understand now?

On 6/27/2019 at 9:29 AM, BuffaloBillies said:

Here is their building...

Being in Cincinnati, they are likely Bengals fans.

Best way to get 'em back will be week 3, the home opener.

Untitled-1.jpg

After the ovation for Andy Dalton.