Gerrymandering - Change the lines all you want!

The decision

Agree or not with the majority's reasoning (I do), the outcome of artificially creating division for partisan advantage is helping create more neighborhoods of echo chambers. 

If would be nice if state legislatures would reign this in and force candidates to listen to more POVs. 

What you'll see now is redder states getting redder and bluer states bluer. That is a bad outcome.  

Edited by BeginnersMind

What did the plaintiff's want?  A judge to draw the district lines rather than the elected representatives?   How would that fix to problem?

Roberts is spot on:

“Excessive partisanship in districting leads to results that reasonably seem unjust. But the fact that such gerrymandering is ‘incompatible with democratic principles,’ does not mean that the solution lies with the federal judiciary,” Chief Justice Roberts wrote.

I don't even understand what Kagan means:

“Of all times to abandon the Court’s duty to declare the law, this was not the one,” Justice Elena Kagan wrote for the dissenters.

What does 'declare the law' mean?  What law is currently being broken?  Essentially this opinion is just saying the courts should usurp the legislature because.......they would (theoretically) be more fair?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Remove districts completely and send representatives based on who garnered the most votes. 

This is how it's done in many countries, since populations often migrate.

The problem, of course, is that an entire states' representative pool could all be from the same city/neighborhood... but political parties pretty much eliminated any pretense that candidates share values with their district anyway; they are all told how to vote by their party leaders.

Edited by unbillievable

Remember that one time when Chris Cillizza swore up and down that reporters never root for a political side?

You member …

D-E-jDhXYAAV7gt.png

Today:

"A huge victory for the Republican party, here." -- @JeffreyToobin on gerrymandering SCOTUS ruling

As usual, 100% right

Because only Republicans gerrymander.

Alrighty.

Sean Davis was more than happy to ‘correct’ Chris and Jeffrey Toobin, sort of killing two annoying birds with one stone:

As usual, you're 100% wrong. GOP defendants won in the NC case, but GOP plaintiffs lost in the MD case. If you had read only to the second sentence of the ruling, you would know this. https://twitter.com/CillizzaCNN/status/1144248096253206528 

View image on Twitter

Slightly off topic, but the idea that Gerrymandering is racist is the dumbest thing... you don't win a seat for having the most black people or white people in your district. You win a seat by having the most people vote for you. This argument reduces votes to race. That's what's racist. 

• Like (+1) 4

21 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Slightly off topic, but the idea that Gerrymandering is racist is the dumbest thing... you don't win a seat for having the most black people or white people in your district. You win a seat by having the most people vote for you. This argument reduces votes to race. That's what's racist. 

I thought racist gerrymandering was good, though, because it ensured racially homogenous districts that would then vote in consistent blocs for their own interests...?

12 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I thought racist gerrymandering was good, though, because it ensured racially homogenous districts that would then vote in consistent blocs for their own interests...?

when the Dems were GMing in the 70s and 80s they had a district in North Carolina that was solely a highway with a block on either side of it, ensured an African American House member for awhile

23 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Good by whose standard? I thought that’s what dems were always complaining about.

NC's 2nd district was deliberately constructed in the 1980s to ensure an African-American majority, sometimes narrowed just to a highway and one side of it only with an African-American family living there.