McCoy says Bills' Josh Allen 'looks more confident'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034672/article/mccoy-says-bills-josh-allen-looks-more-confident

At times last season, especially early, Josh Allen looked lost, not seeing the entire field, unsure where the rush or coverage was coming from, and relying on his superior athleticism rather than intellect to win plays.

At times it worked out great, with Allen looking like one of the most athletic players on the field, dashing with his feet and drilling strikes with his big arm.

At times it combusted, with Allen tossing wayward balls behind targets, not getting through his progression, and an inefficient offense resulted.

After an offseason of workouts, running back LeSean McCoy believes we're seeing an improved Allen, especially mentally.

"He looks better," McCoy told Vic Carucci of The Buffalo News. "I think he looks more confident. I think last year he just played off of talent. Sometimes, when quarterbacks are really talented, you overlook how smart they really are. Josh is smart."

The strides Allen has made were not lost on his coaching staff, which knows the Bills have no chance at the playoffs without improvements from the QB spot.

the question .... is this just a fluff piece? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Fluff piece?  Sure.  There are a ton of them.  I don't mind it though.  A second year QB looking more confident than he did is as a rookie should not be a revelation.  It is expected.  There would be something seriously wrong if he didn't look a lot more confident.  That said, a little confirmation that he seems to be on the right path is always comforting.  Now, if he looks more confident when he facing an exotic Gregg Williams defense on opening day. . .

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034672/article/mccoy-says-bills-josh-allen-looks-more-confident

At times last season, especially early, Josh Allen looked lost, not seeing the entire field, unsure where the rush or coverage was coming from, and relying on his superior athleticism rather than intellect to win plays.

At times it worked out great, with Allen looking like one of the most athletic players on the field, dashing with his feet and drilling strikes with his big arm.

At times it combusted, with Allen tossing wayward balls behind targets, not getting through his progression, and an inefficient offense resulted.

After an offseason of workouts, running back LeSean McCoy believes we're seeing an improved Allen, especially mentally.

"He looks better," McCoy told Vic Carucci of The Buffalo News. "I think he looks more confident. I think last year he just played off of talent. Sometimes, when quarterbacks are really talented, you overlook how smart they really are. Josh is smart."

The strides Allen has made were not lost on his coaching staff, which knows the Bills have no chance at the playoffs without improvements from the QB spot.

the question .... is this just a fluff piece? 

A fluff piece?  Certainly...not like we have real football to talk about or even training camp

Anything to it?  Probably....Allen should understand much more now about the game and what it takes to succeed.  He should have spent a lot of time this off season watching film and learning to read and diagnose NFL defenses.  So he should look more confident. 

But as we saw last off-season, how a QB looks even in training camp and preseason games, really doesn't predict how he'll look when teams are "bringing it" full speed and game-planning to confuse him during the season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, White Linen said:

As we've seen in other threads obviously Shady is in danger of getting cut.  He's saying nice things about Allen so that doesn't happen. 

I highly doubt Shady will get cut this season   ....  Being here in 2020 is a whole different topic 

https://fansided.com/2019/06/26/josh-allen-bills-projections-2019/

Bills need LeSean McCoy to be right about Josh Allen

If the Bills are going to improve on last season’s 6-10 record they will need better play from the quarterback position. Josh Allen showed flashes of quality play during his rookie season, but he’s got a long way to go before he lives up to his status as the No. 7 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

The good news for Buffalo fans is that some of his teammates are seeing real signs of progress this offseason. Running back LeSean McCoy believes his second-year signal caller looks a lot more “confident” than he did last season. That’s not uncommon for players who make the transition from mid-major college football to the NFL.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I highly doubt Shady will get cut this season   ....  Being here in 2020 is a whole different topic 

https://fansided.com/2019/06/26/josh-allen-bills-projections-2019/

Bills need LeSean McCoy to be right about Josh Allen

If the Bills are going to improve on last season’s 6-10 record they will need better play from the quarterback position. Josh Allen showed flashes of quality play during his rookie season, but he’s got a long way to go before he lives up to his status as the No. 7 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

The good news for Buffalo fans is that some of his teammates are seeing real signs of progress this offseason. Running back LeSean McCoy believes his second-year signal caller looks a lot more “confident” than he did last season. That’s not uncommon for players who make the transition from mid-major college football to the NFL.

No, I read it.  It said "Could Shady be done in Buffalo"?

31 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

I remember reading all about how EJ looked more confident.  I also read that he got smarter and stronger too.

He got relatively smarter when they dumbed down the playbook to a point where it was equal to his intellect, at which point he declared (in May before his rookie TC) that it was "easier to learn" than the FSU playbook.

Hilarity, and then sadness, ensued.

38 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

I remember reading all about how EJ looked more confident.  I also read that he got smarter and stronger too.

In EJ's first season, did he look even remotely as good as Josh did last year?

Didn't think so.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

In EJ's first season, did he look even remotely as good as Josh did last year?

Didn't think so.

While there's no doubt that Allen is more talented I don't think their rookie seasons are that different.  They both got thrown into the starting job because of injury/mismanagement/rubber mats and performed poorly. They then performed a lot better but not quite good enough leaving fans thinking the best is yet to come.

• Like (+1) 2