Bob Ley Retires from ESPN

Back when ESPN was great.  Ley, Berman, Charlie Steiner, Dan Patrick, Olberman, Howie Schwab....

It was about highlights and not drama.

Disney ruined ESPN.

I used to watch sportscenter 3-4 times a day.  Now ESPN is unwatchable

• Like (+1) 13

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Back when ESPN was great.  Ley, Berman, Charlie Steiner, Dan Patrick, Olberman, Howie Schwab....

Disney ruined ESPN.

Patrick and Olbermann had the best show. Berman and Tom Jackson on Sundays...ESPN used to be the best....I haven't watched in many years

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think he was one of the originals with Berman and the late Tom Mees who tragically drowned.....

Yes, all three of them were there on day 1.

Before Olbermann, Bob Ley would co-host Sportscenter with Dan Patrick, and they both had a running gag at the end of the show where they would both hold a pose, as if the show had just done a freeze frame. When in actuality it was still LIVE. It was quite funny.

Anyone else remember them doing that?

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Disney ruined ESPN.

High-speed internet on phones/tablets killed ESPN.  No longer necessary for us to watch Sportscenter to get our highlight fix.    

• Like (+1) 2

He was a great one.  I still watch ESPN now mainly for the highlights.  But back in the late 80's and 90's....man I would just keep it on.

Bob Ley was able to bring sports into my life as more than entertainment....he brought substance to sports.  Dan Patrick made you enjoy sports, Chris Berman made you laugh, Stuart Scott made sports cool....Bob Ley made you appreciate sports.  I'll miss him.

• Like (+1) 5

Berman, Ley, Mees, Patrick, Olbermann...when it started during the dawn of cable TV, 'Sports Center' was must watch TV for the sports junkie. I remember 'Rodeo from Mesquite, Texas' being on almost non-stop due to the lack of live sporting events. I even loved watching 'The Americas Cup' back in the day. Sadly, ESPN has become unwatchable aside from a few programs like '30 For 30' and live sporting events. I honestly forget it's even on my DirecTV package unless there is a live NFL game, Mets game, or college basketball game airing.Time and technology marches onward and the original, innovative ESPN gets further and further away in the rear view mirror. Love her or hate her, I guess that leaves Linda Cohn as the reigning queen of the old guard. Enjoy your retirement, Mr. Ley. :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Disney ruined ESPN.

Definitely.  I used to look forward to SportsCenter.  It's been a lonnnnnnnnng time since I felt that way.  I find Van Pelt unwatchable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I have not had ESPN for years but I always enjoyed Outside the Lines with him.  What is left now the screaming idiots?

In fairness to ESPN, every other sports, cable news and most 'entertainment' channels are exactly the same thing -- a bunch of idiots screaming at each other or just completely inane blather.  There is an entire network for women (Bravo) based on nothing but this format.

The only shows I have ever enjoyed that featured 4 people sitting around talking are:

-The Sports Reporters (before Dick Schaap died)

-The McLaughlin Report  (which also gave TBD one of its best recurring threads)

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He was a great one.  I still watch ESPN now mainly for the highlights.  But back in the late 80's and 90's....man I would just keep it on.

Bob Ley was able to bring sports into my life as more than entertainment....he brought substance to sports.  Dan Patrick made you enjoy sports, Chris Berman made you laugh, Stuart Scott made sports cool....Bob Ley made you appreciate sports.  I'll miss him.

Great post!  You nailed it in a great summary.  Thanks

• Like (+1) 2

A pro's pro.  I was always happy when he headed up their World Cup and Euro's coverage when they still had the rights.  Seemed like he had been covering the game for 30-years. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Guy, this is like a speech at a funeral.

Lets bring it down a tad.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

But back in the late 80's and 90's....man I would just keep it on.

Same here.  Use to turn it on after work and I would often never turn the channel.

Only watch the station if there is a live game on that interested me.  Would drop the station if it wasn’t for college football. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

You're crying too, eh?

Like a baby at a briss.

I'm not listening to a guy that thinks Chevy Chase was funnier in Three Amigos than Martin Short.

You’re just saying that because you and Martin are the same height.

• Haha (+1) 1