Mitch Morse: 4th best center in NFL

HOUSE

8 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

A great Center is the General of the offensive line. I will bet you there will be very few penalties and much more protection for Josh Allen.

Eric Woods didn't receive a lot of love but you never know what you got till its gone.

KC will miss him for sure.....

He should prove to be the best center the Bills have had in quite a while.

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes he has an increased risk of getting another concussion.  But OK, go ahead and worry a bit more.  I’ll wait to worry if/when he gets another one. 

It's not about me worrying doc.  I asked a simple question upstream:  given his injury history and his cost, is it not even possible to question the signing.

I think it's a reasonable question.  Pretty simple.

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not about me worrying doc.  I asked a simple question upstream:  given his injury history and his cost, is it not even possible to question the signing.

I think it's a reasonable question.  Pretty simple.

Well your initial post only mentioned that he missed 9 games in 2017 (due to a foot injury which healed and is no longer an issue) and the 5 games he missed last year.  There was no mention of concussions until I brought up OBJ. 

As for the concussions and last year in particular, it took a pretty severe and rare mechanism of injury for him to get concussed again after 3 years of remaining concussion-free.  So I guess what I'm saying is that like you believe with OBJ and the questioning I did with his injury history and contract (and attitude), it's not an issue.  Until it becomes one.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:28 AM, Logic said:

Indeed.

It's like these analysts forget over and over and over again that the salary cap is constantly rising and that players aren't the highest paid at their position for very long. Within two seasons, Morse won't even be in the top 3. 

Oh, and if the Bills are going to "overpay" for something, let it be someone who will directly impact the success of the quarterback to the degree that Morse will. If it helps Allen turn into a bona fide franchise QB, then it's money extremely well spent.

Bills made a phenomenal investment in Morse.

Best offseason move Bills have made in years when considering how many QBs have been eaten by a lack of protection.

The Center is the Pillar of the Offense. allows everyone else to do their jobs when he is the right guy.

And with Bills investment in Allen as our Franchise QB ? This was the best and wisest acquisition to build on.

Kudos to Beane

and 3 cheers for Morse  !  !  !

Edited by 3rdand12

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So you won’t be more worried about a C with head injuries more likely to get injured than a WR? Morse is a good player but there is definitely some risk with his contract. He literally is bashing heads on every play.  

You spelled center wrong. ?

It was a solid post until this part.  Football “people” are wrong all the time.  Most of them are physical education majors.  Blindly trusting football people is kinda silly.

When it comes to the evaluation of talent, real football people like Polian, Parcells, Bellicheat, and countless others are clearly more qualified to assess talent than some journalism major that writes sports stories.  If you think all of the football coaches and executives are phys. ed. majors, it would serve you well to do some background research. If football people are literally wrong all the time, the best players available wouldn't be on teams.  I would accept that there are frequent errors and that is due to the inexact nature of their business.  Fortunately, it is a self correcting system.  GM's, personnel executives, and coaches that get more things wrong than they get right find themselves out of a job.  Sports writers are seldom dismissed for the accuracy of their predictions.  Like I said before, if you want to place your confidence in sports writers, that's your right.

39 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well your initial post only mentioned that he missed 9 games in 2017 (due to a foot injury which healed and is no longer an issue) and the 5 games he missed last year.  There was no mention of concussions until I brought up OBJ. 

As for the concussions and last year in particular, it took a pretty severe and rare mechanism of injury for him to get concussed again after 3 years of remaining concussion-free.  So I guess what I'm saying is that like you believe with OBJ and the questioning I did with his injury history and contract (and attitude), it's not an issue.  Until it becomes one.

The 5 missed games were due to the concussion.....

And you absolutely know that it will not (as it does not) require "a pretty severe and rare mechanism of injury for him to get concussed again".  His first 2 didn't, neither will his next one, so yours is point not worth making.

What you won't admit is that it is far more likely that he will suffer another concussion than OBJ will his ankle again.

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

When it comes to the evaluation of talent, real football people like Polian, Parcells, Bellicheat, and countless others are clearly more qualified to assess talent than some journalism major that writes sports stories.  If you think all of the football coaches and executives are phys. ed. majors, it would serve you well to do some background research. If football people are literally wrong all the time, the best players available wouldn't be on teams.  I would accept that there are frequent errors and that is due to the inexact nature of their business.  Fortunately, it is a self correcting system.  GM's, personnel executives, and coaches that get more things wrong than they get right find themselves out of a job.  Sports writers are seldom dismissed for the accuracy of their predictions.  Like I said before, if you want to place your confidence in sports writers, that's your right.

You names the top 1%. A lot of these guys get their jobs because of family and friend connections.  There have been a lot more terrible football people than Parcells ones.  Way too early to say which group McBean is closer to.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

On 6/27/2019 at 11:16 AM, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I agree with you.  It's hard to identify a good offensive team that does not have a good center.  This will prove to be money well spent.  I have trouble with many ESPN evaluations of teams and individual players.  

Try following them on college hoops recruiting/evaluations. You can get better info from a Hobo. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The 5 missed games were due to the concussion.....

And you absolutely know that it will not (as it does not) require "a pretty severe and rare mechanism of injury for him to get concussed again".  His first 2 didn't, neither will his next one, so yours is point not worth making.

What you won't admit is that it is far more likely that he will suffer another concussion than OBJ will his ankle again.

No, it doesn’t take a severe mechanism of injury to get concussed. It did in Morse’s case last year though and most players would have been injured on that freak play. 

And yes his chances of getting concussed again are higher.  But will he?  And will OBJ be able to stay healthy (not talking just ankle).  We shall see. 

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

No, it doesn’t take a severe mechanism of injury to get concussed. It did in Morse’s case last year though and most players would have been injured on that freak play. 

And yes his chances of getting concussed again are higher.  But will he?  And will OBJ be able to stay healthy (not talking just ankle).  We shall see. 

Shawne Merriman  injured himself less while backpedaling than you do doc....

59 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Shawne Merriman  injured himself less while backpedaling than you do doc....

Why would I need to backped?  An increased risk means absolutely nothing if Morse doesn't get concussed again.  Since neither of us have a crystal ball, all we can do is wait and see. 

19 hours ago, Doc said:

Oh so it was "probably some bogus quad injury" he used because he was angling to get out of NYC.  Good one. 

As for Morse's risk, it's not an issue until it becomes one.  I doubt he'll get cheap-shotted and land on his head again anymore than Beckham will break his ankle or fake a quad injury trying to get out of Cleveland.

8 hours ago, Doc said:

Why should I worry?  It’s a violent game and injures happen.  I would no more worry about him getting injured than, say, Allen. 

It took him landing on his head to suffer another concussion 3 years after his first.  Again like I said above, no reason for extra worry just based on the chance he might suffer a concussion versus the chance any player has of suffering an injury playing a violent sport. 

You clearly implied that his risk of another concussion is the same as OBJ breaking the same ankle again  AND that, absent landing on his head, Morse is not any more likely to suffer another concussion.

Now you see both of those claims are wrong and acknowledge Morse is at significantly higher risk of concussion (through any means on the field).

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You clearly implied that his risk of another concussion is the same as OBJ breaking the same ankle again  AND that, absent landing on his head, Morse is not any more likely to suffer another concussion.

Now you see both of those claims are wrong and acknowledge Morse is at significantly higher risk of concussion (through any means on the field).

I’d hate to interrupt another WEO and Doc make out session but it’s a risk the Bills has to take. They had the money available and fixing the oline was priority number one. 

A head injury for an interior lineman is much more likely than someone getting thrown into OBJ’s ankle again. How many WRs have had a broken ankle? How many on a play like that?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I said that because it took a serious and freak injury for him to get concussed again after three seasons worth of games of having no problem.  No one knows what it will take for him to get another concussion (another stop on the had, vigorous sneezing, etc.) so an increased risk means little until it happens again.

Edited by Doc

If he is healthy and and call out the OL protections this year, the Bills offense will make dramatic leaps forward.

JA would only benefit from an OL that has its Sh!t together.

I think he is a top 5 center the past 20 years, but he has to be healthy.

I hope this injury gamble pays off better than Murphy and Kroft.

Edited by RocCityRoller