Mitch Morse: 4th best center in NFL

HOUSE

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Beckham broke his ankle in 2017.  After surgery, he came back in 2018 and had 77 catches and over 1000 yards before quad injury.  Not an issue.

He's a top 5 playmaker in this League.  Morse may be a top 10 Center. 

Getting injured 2 years in a row isn't an issue for Beckham, but is for Morse.  OK.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Getting injured 2 years in a row isn't an issue for Beckham, but is for Morse.  OK.

OBJ broke his ankle and it's been successfully surgically repaired.  Had some probably bogus quad injury at the tail end of last year while angling to get out of NYG.

Morse missed 4 games with a foot sprain in 2017, came back later in the season and then reinsured the foot and missed 5 games on IR.  

Morse missed 3 games in his rookie season due to concussions in weeks 12 and 17.  Last season, he missed 5 more games.........due to yet another concussion.  His risk of another concussion, given his previous ones, has tripled.

What part of this comparison are you really struggling with?

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

OBJ broke his ankle and it's been successfully surgically repaired.  Had some probably bogus quad injury at the tail end of last year while angling to get out of NYG.

Morse missed 4 games with a foot sprain in 2017, came back later in the season and then reinsured the foot and missed 5 games on IR.  

Morse missed 3 games in his rookie season due to concussions in weeks 12 and 17.  Last season, he missed 5 more games.........due to yet another concussion.  His risk of another concussion, given his previous ones, has tripled.

What part of this comparison are you really struggling with?

Oh so it was "probably some bogus quad injury" he used because he was angling to get out of NYC.  Good one. 

As for Morse's risk, it's not an issue until it becomes one.  I doubt he'll get cheap-shotted and land on his head again anymore than Beckham will break his ankle or fake a quad injury trying to get out of Cleveland.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Oh so it was "probably some bogus quad injury" he used because he was angling to get out of NYC.  Good one. 

As for Morse's risk, it's not an issue until it becomes one.  I doubt he'll get cheap-shotted and land on his head again anymore than Beckham will break his ankle or fake a quad injury trying to get out of Cleveland.

Morse risk is what it is right now.  It won't (and didn't) take a cheap shot to get concussed again.  His risk of another concussion is certainly more than Beckham refracturing his ankle (lol what are you talking about?!).  Given his previous 3 (in the NFL at least) concussions, he is at least 3 times as likely suffer more.  

Do you really think he (or any player) would have to "land on his head" to suffer a concussion?  Scary medicine from the doc....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Injuries are part of the game, no doubt.  When you look at his play, he was very good.  He was the best option available and was being courted by other teams.  Putting a rookie center in front of Allen was not an option that the team was ready to accept.  The Bills paid what was necessary to make the signing, unless you feel that the Bills just threw extra money at him out of the goodness of their heart.  As far as not being able to develop their own, we should not forget that this is all the result of a rather unexpected career ending injury.  Front loading the money when the team had a lot of cap space was probably a decent strategic decision and it was likely necessary to close the deal.  High profile free agents, that have multiple options, are going to have a higher price and more favorable terms.

Time will tell whether or not he is worth the money.  I put more faith in the real football people that evaluate players and make these decisions instead of sports writers who base their opinions more subjectively.  If you want to place more credence on the sports writers, that is your right.

Gosh, that's a reasonable take. 

How dare you?!

Concussions are a concern. But to be perfectly honest other than Kelce I can't think of a centre I would as definitively "better" than Morse. He is in the top half dozen to my mind and after Kelce at #1 I can take an argument as to how you slot the others in behind. 

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Morse risk is what it is right now.  It won't (and didn't) take a cheap shot to get concussed again.  His risk of another concussion is certainly more than Beckham refracturing his ankle (lol what are you talking about?!).  Given his previous 3 (in the NFL at least) concussions, he is at least 3 times as likely suffer more.  

Do you really think he (or any player) would have to "land on his head" to suffer a concussion?  Scary medicine from the doc....

Every player is at risk of getting injured.  But, your histrionics are duly noted. 

10 hours ago, Doc said:

So you won’t be more worried about a C with head injuries more likely to get injured than a WR? Morse is a good player but there is definitely some risk with his contract. He literally is bashing heads on every play.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Concussions are a concern. But to be perfectly honest other than Kelce I can't think of a centre I would as definitively "better" than Morse. He is in the top half dozen to my mind and after Kelce at #1 I can take an argument as to how you slot the others in behind. 

You spelled center wrong. ?

10 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Injuries are part of the game, no doubt.  When you look at his play, he was very good.  He was the best option available and was being courted by other teams.  Putting a rookie center in front of Allen was not an option that the team was ready to accept.  The Bills paid what was necessary to make the signing, unless you feel that the Bills just threw extra money at him out of the goodness of their heart.  As far as not being able to develop their own, we should not forget that this is all the result of a rather unexpected career ending injury.  Front loading the money when the team had a lot of cap space was probably a decent strategic decision and it was likely necessary to close the deal.  High profile free agents, that have multiple options, are going to have a higher price and more favorable terms.

Time will tell whether or not he is worth the money.  I put more faith in the real football people that evaluate players and make these decisions instead of sports writers who base their opinions more subjectively.  If you want to place more credence on the sports writers, that is your right.

It was a solid post until this part.  Football “people” are wrong all the time.  Most of them are physical education majors.  Blindly trusting football people is kinda silly.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Every player is at risk of getting injured.  But, your histrionics are duly noted. 

Including settled medical opinion is now histrionics?

Just answer my question:  in order to be re-concussed, does Morse have to land on his head?  Will you're scratching your noggin over that one, is he more likely to suffer another concussion?  Less?  The same?

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So you won’t be more worried about a C with head injuries more likely to get injured than a WR? Morse is a good player but there is definitely some risk with his contract. He literally is bashing heads on every play.  

You spelled center wrong. ?

It was a solid post until this part.  Football “people” are wrong all the time.  Most of them are physical education majors.  Blindly trusting football people is kinda silly.

Exactly.  Studies have shown that "low speed" players (O and D linemen) are more likely to suffer brain injury than speed players (WR, RB).

50 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why should I worry?  It’s a violent game and injures happen.  I would no more worry about him getting injured than, say, Allen. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Including settled medical opinion is now histrionics?

Just answer my question:  in order to be re-concussed, does Morse have to land on his head?  Will you're scratching your noggin over that one, is he more likely to suffer another concussion?  Less?  The same?

It took him landing on his head to suffer another concussion 3 years after his first.  Again like I said above, no reason for extra worry just based on the chance he might suffer a concussion versus the chance any player has of suffering an injury playing a violent sport. 

47 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly.  Studies have shown that "low speed" players (O and D linemen) are more likely to suffer brain injury than speed players (WR, RB).

Do you have links to these studies? Thanks in advance.

he needs to become an ironman. put a different helmet on him or something to stop the concussions. 

the foot injury from 07...does anyone know if he had surgery on it? he didn't injure it last year so that seems like a good sign. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Why should I worry?  It’s a violent game and injures happen.  I would no more worry about him getting injured than, say, Allen. 

It took him landing on his head to suffer another concussion 3 years after his first.  Again like I said above, no reason for extra worry just based on the chance he might suffer a concussion versus the chance any player has of suffering an injury playing a violent sport. 

So you don't believe the evidence regarding his increased risk of concussion ("injury")?  Just answer the simple question.

Or the previous one: does he have to land on the ground with his head to get another concussion?  The increased risk would naturally lead to increased worry. 

Equating his risk of another concussion with OBJ's risk of refracturing the same ankle was worth a chuckle, though.  SO is your current "it's a violent game, everyone is at equal risk of getting injured at all times".

53 minutes ago, MJS said:

Do you have links to these studies? Thanks in advance.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4628259/

https://thebiglead.com/2017/10/31/linemen-are-more-prone-to-cte-than-skill-position-players-nfl-study-concludes/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171031084827.htm

and many others citing the same evidence and the NFL funded study.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So you don't believe the evidence regarding his increased risk of concussion ("injury")?  Just answer the simple question.

Or the previous one: does he have to land on the ground with his head to get another concussion?  The increased risk would naturally lead to increased worry. 

Equating his risk of another concussion with OBJ's risk of refracturing the same ankle was worth a chuckle, though.  SO is your current "it's a violent game, everyone is at equal risk of getting injured at all times".

Yes he has an increased risk of getting another concussion.  But OK, go ahead and worry a bit more.  I’ll wait to worry if/when he gets another one. 

Edited by Doc

A great Center is the General of the offensive line. I will bet you there will be very few penalties and much more protection for Josh Allen.

Eric Woods didn't receive a lot of love but you never know what you got till its gone.

KC will miss him for sure.....