When did Don Beebe become a Bills legend???

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The guy who the K-Gun was named after .....   Running back Kenneth Davis emerged as a big threat off the bench, rushing for 624 yards, catching 20 passes for 118 yards, and scoring 5 touchdowns.

the K-Gun is legendary

It was actually named after Keith McKellar.

19 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He has three plays that are in highlight reels. Only one of which is a completed pass. Yes he chased down Lett but does that make him a legend? He bounced his head off the ground in what should have been ruled an interception not an incomplete pass. And yes he caught a TD in the comeback game.  

That is not a legendary career. Not even close.

You forgot about the 4TD passes he caught from Kelly who had 6TDs against the Steelers in 1991

a player can become legend based on one play- David Tyree to me is a legend and all he did was catch one ball. Marshawn Lynch is legend-hall of fame is an honor- legend is different. they often come together but i see them different.

It's definitely the SB strip fumble. That story / highlight gets told in football every year at somepoint. He's just implanted in people's memory as that guy. Easy to forget the rest. 

I mean you just watch those old SB videos from ESPN films and you're just going to think about the Packers SB win and the strip fumble. Hard to miss him ESPN films loves that guy...

Probably because those were 2 really one sided Superbowls lol. Gotta talk about that scrappy Don fella.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:43 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

He has three plays that are in highlight reels. Only one of which is a completed pass. Yes he chased down Lett but does that make him a legend? He bounced his head off the ground in what should have been ruled an interception not an incomplete pass. And yes he caught a TD in the comeback game.  

That is not a legendary career. Not even close.

Is your name Elijah by any chance? This exact post is on the bills mafia page.  

Edit- it appears this Elijah character just copy and pastes posts from here to the bills mafia fb page. Odd

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

3 hours ago, Augie said:

We first have to define “legend”. 

Getting plenty of airtime on the ESPN SB films. Man was in 2 hella boring SBs, won 1 with the Packers and strip tackles a showboating cowboy in a blowout. Anybody watching SB recaps hears 2 very long Don Beebe stories to fill time since there's not much more story to those SBs. 

One play CAN make someone legendary. History and sports history is littered with people who became legendary for doing one thing. The reason the Lett play can be considered by some as making Don Beebe a Bills legend is because that play was a symbol of that teams perseverance, resiliency, effort, and never quit attitude. It embodied Marv's reading of the Scottish poem to his team after the first Super Bowl loss: "Fight on, my men," says Sir Andrew Barton, "I am hurt, but I am not slain; I'll lay me down and bleed a while, And then I'll rise and fight again." Sometimes a symbolic moment or being a metaphor, makes one legendary just as much as stats.

Plus, Beebe was a part of that team and family for the entire run. Came in 1989 (the first year the team was good, the bickering Bills, etc.) and was there for the entire Super Bowl(s) run (left in 1994). He was one of THE guys. 

And just because he didn't have huge stats, doesn't mean he wasn't an important part of the team. First of all, he was on a team of All Pros and Hall of Famers. There were only so many balls to go around. Plus, you don't think the threat of his speed helped open the middle of the field for Andre and Thurman? In 1991, he had 7 TDs (1 in the playoffs). In 1992, he had 2 playoff TDs. He had 21 TDs overall for the Bills. That's not a gaudy number, by any means, but it is a pretty significant contribution to a stacked team vying for Super Bowls.

Anyhow, depending on your definition of "legend" (as other have pointed out), you may or may not consider Don Beebe a legend. But, there is definitely no need to belittle his contributions to the franchise and that team. If nothing else, Beebe is a true Buffalo Bill. And that's good enough for me.

Edited by folz
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/26/2019 at 10:13 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Not mad. Just don't like lazy reporting and elevating players that barely register as good to legendary status. It diminishes the truly great ones.

Its amazing that you remember enough about him to say he isnt a legend.?  

I do feel that word seems to be overused.  However I will say that it has been pointed out he is not being called a legendary player.  After all we unfortunately have the legend of Nathan Peterman now to go with the legend of Scott Norwood.

Get used to it, people.  Any time the team refers to a former player, they will be called a Bills Legend because the alumni organization is now called the Bills Legends Community.

Next up: the Legendary Sam Cowart!  

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/8-questions-with-bills-legend-sam-cowart

I really hope there's not gonna be a debate about every former player's worthiness of being called a Legend.