Daniel Jeremiah’s Top 5 Offenses and Defenses for 2019

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They cut a DT and safety and replaced them with who.

They have serious depth at defensive line. Inside they still have Abry Jones who started every game on their dominant 2017 defense, Dareus, the option to slide Calais Campbell inside (to start Josh Allen opposite Ngakoue outside) and 2018 first rounder Taven Bryan ready to step into a more prominent role. I have absolutely no concerns there. 

Safety is a fairer concern I think they will probably be looking at a camp battle to see who emerges next to Ronnie Harrison but the overall talent level of that defense is sill very high. Stacked up front, athletic playmakers at linebacker and the best corner duo in the NFL (two top 10 guys). If we are just ranking NFL defenses by talent and track record in recent years - which is all we can do until the games start - I can't keep the Jags out of my top 2 let alone top 5.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

They have serious depth at defensive line. Inside they still have Abry Jones who started every game on their dominant 2017 defense, Dareus, the option to slide Calais Campbell inside (to start Josh Allen opposite Ngakoue outside) and 2018 first rounder Taven Bryan ready to step into a more prominent role. I have absolutely no concerns there. 

Safety is a fairer concern I think they will probably be looking at a camp battle to see who emerges next to Ronnie Harrison but the overall talent level of that defense is sill very high. Stacked up front, athletic playmakers at linebacker and the best corner duo in the NFL (two top 10 guys). If we are just ranking NFL defenses by talent and track record in recent years - which is all we can do until the games start - I can't keep the Jags out of my top 2 let alone top 5.

They were #1 on paper last season.  We shall see.

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Maybe they will.  I think they are about to implode personally. To many egos, it manifest itself more every season.

They went 5-11 last year and were a top 5 defense. They just have so much talent on that side of the ball. Unless the players quit on the team (and I don't see that) I think the Jags defense will be a top 5 unit. I think a lot of people here hate Marrone and hate the Jags and hope the Jags collpase. But their defensive talent base is solid. They will still be bad on offense and I doubt they make the playoffs. 

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They went 5-11 last year and were a top 5 defense. They just have so much talent on that side of the ball. Unless the players quit on the team (and I don't see that) I think the Jags defense will be a top 5 unit. I think a lot of people here hate Marrone and hate the Jags and hope the Jags collpase. But their defensive talent base is solid. They will still be bad on offense and I doubt they make the playoffs. 

They definitely have the talent.  No argument here.

47 minutes ago, mannc said:

Very convincing...

Dont need to convince you of my opinion.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

You know you’ve got a really pathetic take when your only response is “We’ll see.”

You know you got a real pathetic take when all you can do is criticize other posters.  

You might consider that I am open minded and not going to argue with someone that made valid points.  I just think they have to many big personalities and a coach who in my opinion doesnt handle adversity very well.  

Edited by formerlyofCtown

On 6/27/2019 at 5:09 PM, NewDayBills said:

I've watched his dad David Jeremiah on TV, he's a preacher and a gifted preacher at that. I'm assuming Daniel is a child of God as well. I know we all love the Bills but please be more respectful in the future. Guy has achieved a lot in his life. College QB, NFL scout, tv host, etc. What have you done? 

Just a couple of questions;

What has his supposed religious affiliations to do with his supposed current football skill set?  How does his “assumed” faith give him a pass on being criticized for his opinion, like anyone else would be criticized in the same line of work?

On 6/27/2019 at 5:09 PM, NewDayBills said:

I've watched his dad David Jeremiah on TV, he's a preacher and a gifted preacher at that. I'm assuming Daniel is a child of God as well. I know we all love the Bills but please be more respectful in the future. Guy has achieved a lot in his life. College QB, NFL scout, tv host, etc. What have you done? 

ooh, the religion card... ???

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Just a couple of questions;

What has his supposed religious affiliations to do with his supposed current football skill set?  How does his “assumed” faith give him a pass on being criticized for his opinion, like anyone else would be criticized in the same line of work?

Whatever his name is, we'll call him no name #1 called DJ a moron and other profanities without giving a reason why he questioned his football expertise other than he is just a moron apparently and his Dad is also a con artist and a thief. No explanation, just disrespectful insults. And you, let's call no name #2 defended him not only once, but twice. Can you explain why?

Just looking at the basics.  Second in ypg, 1st against the pass, 16th against the rush, 17th in ppg, 8th in 3rd down efficiency, 30th in red zone efficiency (TD's), 6th in takeaways, 13th in sack percentage per play, and 1st in number of defenders retiring at halftime.

These numbers show to me a strong secondary that helped boost an average D-line and LB core.  It's also what I saw on the field last year. You can make an argument for a top five D last year, but we're probably in the 6 to 10 range.  Don't know what happened to our red zone defense and we'll need to improve on that.  Obviously.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/27/2019 at 2:43 PM, Clyde Smith said:

We was top 2 Defense, we only fell off a bit when Milano went down. Imagine if he played the whole entire season.

This is something i was wondering.. not sure what he was doing to affect the game exactly. but Bills did not replace his play ability(skill set) and effectiveness.
as i was reading through the thread i wondered how that could be integrated into context of the statistics for defense vs run an vs pass.
McD had to adjust i am sure : )

very good point Clyde

On 6/27/2019 at 3:41 PM, ocemur said:

bullfrog?

smaller

On 6/28/2019 at 7:56 AM, mannc said:

You know you’ve got a really pathetic take when your only response is “We’ll see.”

who coaches the jaguars,  name eludes me at the moment

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Just looking at the basics.  Second in ypg, 1st against the pass, 16th against the rush, 17th in ppg, 8th in 3rd down efficiency, 30th in red zone efficiency (TD's), 6th in takeaways, 13th in sack percentage per play, and 1st in number of defenders retiring at halftime.

These numbers show to me a strong secondary that helped boost an average D-line and LB core.  It's also what I saw on the field last year. You can make an argument for a top five D last year, but we're probably in the 6 to 10 range.  Don't know what happened to our red zone defense and we'll need to improve on that.  Obviously.

When we watch  the games we saw some difficulties defending the run game.
 i suspect when the Linebacker group hits the field this pre season McD will be all over hitting the right gaps, better stacking and shedding and improving on the fly recognitions.

The secondary is explosive and to be feared.will only improve.

regardless. No one gets  over the top of them do they ?

Wondering what the defense would be ranked of the Bills offense wasn't garbage for the whole season... And I really wonder what would be the tank if they didn't put that slop out in the first 2 games of the season.

Edited by Boca BIlls

I don't know who is supposed to be on those lists, but clearly our O isn't anywhere close. As far as our D goes, everyone talks about then like they were the 2nd best D last year. They weren't even close. They were something like 17th in points surrendered which is a much better indication of their rank. No one added on D is likely to make a big difference except maybe Oliver. We gave up so few yards is because other teams were trying to kill the clock much more than they were trying to pile up yards. I'll be surprised if we are even top 10 in points scored/surrendered on either side of the ball.

Edited by GreggTX

10 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Whatever his name is, we'll call him no name #1 called DJ a moron and other profanities without giving a reason why he questioned his football expertise other than he is just a moron apparently and his Dad is also a con artist and a thief. No explanation, just disrespectful insults. And you, let's call no name #2 defended him not only once, but twice. Can you explain why?

I did not defend anyone,

I asked you two questions, that you evidently chose not to reply to.

Go Bills!!

On 6/26/2019 at 4:03 PM, John from Riverside said:

I think it is more like what is the justification to even say that when

We were top 5 last year

We biult on top of what we had last year as far as improvements

Our schedule is easier

If your gonna say we are gonna be worse....then give me a REASON why we are gonna be worse that makes sense

I don't think we'll be worse than last year, but our defense was only top 5 last year if you cherry picked the right stats. As crazy as it sounds, the defense statistically benefitted from having a bad offense and an awful special teams. 

It makes sense when you really think about it. Our offense was one of the best at going 3 and out, at least until Josh came back from injury, and our special teams frequently failed to flip the field position no matter where the offense stalled. This all means opposing offenses didn't have to go very far to score, hence the low yards allowed. The way I see it, you can't have a top 5 defense that's ranked 30th in red zone D, as games are won on points scored, not yards gained. 

All that being said, I do think we will be much improved this year. Our D line is better with Ed, Milano coming back from injury, cb2 spot is better with either Johnson or Gaines, and the depth is better across the board. I'm optimistic about this year's team. 

• Like (+1) 1