Daniel Jeremiah’s Top 5 Offenses and Defenses for 2019

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I did not defend anyone,

I asked you two questions, that you evidently chose not to reply to.

Go Bills!!

Therein lies the problem, there was no legit claim as to why DJ is a moron, others vouged for him in regards to his football expertise, yet no name #1 provided no legit reasons as to why DJ should be dismissed as a moron other than he didn't gloat over the Bills. It was simply keyboard buffoonery and beer belly idiocy that nobody found impressive other than you apparently. 

Why did I bring up David Jeremiah? Because he is a solid Christian man, a God fearing man with good values, many of which were passed down to his son. Basically what I'm trying to accomplish by this is pointing out that the Jeremiah's have good values and character and were viciously attacked for no reason other than Jeremiah didn't hype up the Bills.

Also, there is no religion card except for any other religion than Christianity.

33 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Therein lies the problem, there was no legit claim as to why DJ is a moron, others vouged for him in regards to his football expertise, yet no name #1 provided no legit reasons as to why DJ should be dismissed as a moron other than he didn't gloat over the Bills. It was simply keyboard buffoonery and beer belly idiocy that nobody found impressive other than you apparently. 

Why did I bring up David Jeremiah? Because he is a solid Christian man, a God fearing man with good values, many of which were passed down to his son. Basically what I'm trying to accomplish by this is pointing out that the Jeremiah's have good values and character and were viciously attacked for no reason other than Jeremiah didn't hype up the Bills.

Also, there is no religion card except for any other religion than Christianity.

Again I was not referencing those comments at all.

I asked you two questions as to what religion has to do with his football opinions.  And you have yet to address those questions.

Arrogance is never considered  becoming for a person of faith. 

Back to the topic at hand,

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
New words
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Again I was not referencing those comments at all.

I asked you two questions as to what religion has to do with his football opinions.  And you have yet to address those questions.

Being a member of any of the hundreds of religious cults on this planet (including Christianity) does not give one a Pass on their opinions, and they are subject to the same criticism as anyone else. Arrogance is never considered  becoming for a person of faith. 

Back to the topic at hand,

Go Bills!!!

I answered all questions, you are simply trying to catch me in a trap.

13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Just looking at the basics.  Second in ypg, 1st against the pass, 16th against the rush, 17th in ppg, 8th in 3rd down efficiency, 30th in red zone efficiency (TD's), 6th in takeaways, 13th in sack percentage per play, and 1st in number of defenders retiring at halftime.

These numbers show to me a strong secondary that helped boost an average D-line and LB core.  It's also what I saw on the field last year. You can make an argument for a top five D last year, but we're probably in the 6 to 10 range.  Don't know what happened to our red zone defense and we'll need to improve on that.  Obviously.

...which STILL is pretty darn good 'Doc......Top 10 defense and Top 12 Offense and we'd be in pretty good shape to do some damage in the "W" column IMO....

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I answered all questions, you are simply trying to catch me in a trap.

You have not addressed either question.

The trap is of your own making...

I am done with your farce, nothing but love for you, enjoy your life best as you know how to...

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

You have not addressed either question.

The trap is of your own making...

I am done with your farce, nothing but love for you, enjoy your life best as you know how to...

I love how you edited out select remarks from your previous post, it was very telling and very unbecoming of a man who wishes me well. It seems it is you who trapped yourself, good thing I quoted you before the ninja edit. Nothing to discuss here, I simply defended DJ because I know he comes from a good family and David Jeremiah delivered a great sermon that I had the pleasure to listen to. I consider Christian values a good thing, you do not. No need for further discussion here. Anything else or may we conclude this conversation?

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...which STILL is pretty darn good 'Doc......Top 10 defense and Top 12 Offense and we'd be in pretty good shape to do some damage in the "W" column IMO....

Oh, absolutely.  I can understand why we didn't make the top 5 on the list though.  I do think we'll be even better this year with the addition of Johnson and Gaines in the secondary.  McBeane is well aware that having elite pass coverage is more important than having an elite pass rush.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/29/2019 at 10:12 PM, Doc Brown said:

Just looking at the basics.  Second in ypg, 1st against the pass, 16th against the rush, 17th in ppg, 8th in 3rd down efficiency, 30th in red zone efficiency (TD's), 6th in takeaways, 13th in sack percentage per play, and 1st in number of defenders retiring at halftime.

These numbers show to me a strong secondary that helped boost an average D-line and LB core.  It's also what I saw on the field last year. You can make an argument for a top five D last year, but we're probably in the 6 to 10 range.  Don't know what happened to our red zone defense and we'll need to improve on that.  Obviously.

Think about something for a min. The Bills defense finished with those stats with a defense that was on the field more then they should have been with little to not much run game from the RBs. If you take away the rush yards from the 2018 Buffalo Bills leading rusher in QB Josh Allen the offense was 31st in rush yards. 

Last seasons offensive line was so bad that after Allen returned from injury the offense ran a lot of empty backfield sets to allow Allen more freedom to run. The Bills RBs averaged only 3.2 yards per carry and it was Allen who made the rush stats look decent with his 7.1 YPC AVG. 

It was an odd season for sure last year as in three of the six win for Buffalo they dominated the clock in some games to make things look somewhat even stat wise. And in those three wins in which they got the lead early, they actually managed to find a run game with the RB's.

With all the upgrades to the offensive line this year, plus the really good depth. Both the passing offense and run game should be able do a better job of extending drives into TDs. The Bills RB should actually have some holes to run through every game. 

Although, now retired Kyle Williams was third on the team in sacks with 5.0 and second on the team in QB hits with 14. My take is Ed Oliver could be the DT that Marcel Dareus was supposed to be in Buffalo. This kid graded as a top three pick and because of the Cards, Raiders, Giants, Lions going in a different direction the Bills got lucky and got him at #9.

Then the Bills added former Buffalo CB EJ Gains and former Texans #1 pick CB Kevin Johnson who plays so hard he ends up injured a lot. This years secondary and pass rush might be even better than last years.

This years Buffalo Bills defense might just surprise...in a good way. 

15 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Think about something for a min. The Bills defense finished with those stats with a defense that was on the field more then they should have been with little to not much run game from the RBs. If you take away the rush yards from the 2018 Buffalo Bills leading rusher in QB Josh Allen the offense was 31st in rush yards. 

Buffalo ranked 13th in TOP per game at 30:29.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/27/2019 at 4:12 AM, Ronin said:

Not sure that's accurate.  We were good in some areas and not so good in others.  Everyone seems to default to yardage D despite the fact that game outcomes aren't measured in yards, they're measured in points.  

We ranked 18th in scoring D.

30th in Red Zone D. 

We ranked 14th in TDs allowed, very average.  

Our pass-rush was problematic although our pass-D was pretty good in most indicators otherwise.  Kyle, Lorax, and Hughes, three players that predate McBeane were responsible for about half of them.  Kyle's no longer here, Lorax is old, and even Hughes is into his back-9.  

We ranked 20th in plays/point-scored, meaning that we were 20th in terms of how many plays it took on average fro opponents to score.  

Those things don't really align with a 2nd yardage D ranking.  They have to be reconciled.  

Again, there were some good indicators, primarily in the pass D department where McD specializes and where most of our resources have gone to, certainly the better performing draft picks and free agents.   

None of that has to do with "our defense being on the field more often than other teams," to the contrary in fact.  We had the 5th fewest plays run against us.  Our time-of-possession was above average.  

Either way, there were a number of areas where we regressed, points against stayed exactly the same in ranking, 18th, despite allowing 15 more points last year, a point/game.  

All true, but Points Allowed is far more of a team stat as opposed to a defense only stat than Yards Allowed is.

If your QB throws a pick six, should that really count against your defense in any way, shape or form? No, it shouldn't. But if you look at Points Allowed, it is laid entirely against the defense. Further, points allowed is extremely dependent on field position. And defensive field position depends a great deal on the offense and STs. If your punter shanks a punt from your own end zone and it goes out of bounds at the 18, how difficult will it be for your opponent to score? I mean, your defense could allow zero yards and you're still extremely likely to allow three points which the Points Allowed stat lays at the door of the defense.

Same with Plays Per Point Scored. How many of those points scored were the fault of the offense or STs?

It's a very useful stat, points allowed, but there's major input from the offense and defense. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 30%.

Whereas yards allowed has very little input from offense or STs. It almost completely isolates the defensive unit.

As for plays run against your defense, that again has a lot of input from offense and STs. Does your defense face more drives than anyone else in the league? If so, they're at a huge disadvantage in terms of plays faced. Did they face fewer drives? Huge advantage. If you want to look at plays, you need to look at Plays Per Drive. That shows how effectively the D gets opponents off the field. The Bills were first in the league last year, in Plays per Drive.

As for red zone D, being bad is not a good indicator but teams can be good while being bad at red zone D. It can work if you're bend and not break, not often allowing teams to reach the red zone. Though I certainly think they should shore up their red zone D.

I do agree with you, though, that Lorax is aging and Kyle is gone and will be replaced by a rookie. We're losing veteran smarts. You're right that our pass rush needs shoring up. I like this defense a lot, but anyone saying they've lost nothing is overstating the case.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/30/2019 at 10:49 PM, ColdFront_USAF said:

I don't think we'll be worse than last year, but our defense was only top 5 last year if you cherry picked the right stats. As crazy as it sounds, the defense statistically benefitted from having a bad offense and an awful special teams. 

It makes sense when you really think about it. Our offense was one of the best at going 3 and out, at least until Josh came back from injury, and our special teams frequently failed to flip the field position no matter where the offense stalled. This all means opposing offenses didn't have to go very far to score, hence the low yards allowed. The way I see it, you can't have a top 5 defense that's ranked 30th in red zone D, as games are won on points scored, not yards gained. 

All that being said, I do think we will be much improved this year. Our D line is better with Ed, Milano coming back from injury, cb2 spot is better with either Johnson or Gaines, and the depth is better across the board. I'm optimistic about this year's team. 

Having a bad offense and STs makes your defensive stats worse, not better.

When you look at yards, having a few drives start from terrible field position doesn't matter. What matters is where the average drive start is. With points, field position on individual drives is huge. With yards, only the average matters. The Bills D faced the worst average drive start in the league. But that averaged out to opponent offenses averaging starts at the 31.36 yard line, which is only five yards better than the team with the best average drive starts, the 25.57. Since every yard counts the same, no matter where it comes on the field, average drive start is the key.

Not true in scoring since one yard is way way more important in scoring than any other yard, the yard between the 1 yard line and the goal line.

The other stat that kills defenses is the number of drives faced. The fewer the better. Because of bad offense, the Bills faced the seventh-most drives. And yet they tied for 2nd-best in yards per drive.

This D was damn good.

I'm optimistic about this team's future too. My guess is consistent improvement.

I always like to break things down a bit more to better my understanding, so after crunching some numbers, here's what I can tell you about the Bills' defense...

- They ranked 15th in defensive points per game allowed.  In other words, if you normalize the scoring numbers by removing the defensive and special teams scores across the league, the Bills' defense allowed an average of 21.2 points per game.  That ranked 15th.  The top 5 teams in that category were (in order): Chicago (16.4), Baltimore (17.1), Tennessee (17.9), Minnesota (18.7), and the L.A. Chargers (18.8).

- They ranked 3rd in yards per play allowed at 4.9. The other teams in the top 5 include Chicago and Baltimore, who tied for 1st with 4.8, Minnesota (5.0), and Jacksonville (5.1).

- They ranked 4th in 1st downs per game allowed with 18.3. Rounding out the top 5 are Chicago (17.4), Baltimore (17.9), Jacksonville (18.0), and Houston & Tennessee, who tied for 5th at 18.6.

- They tied for 8th in takeaways with 27.  The top 5 in this category are Chicago (of course)--who had 36, Cleveland (31), L.A. Rams (30), Houston (29), and a 3-way tie for 5th between Miami/New England/Denver (28).

As it pertains to the Bills, I would say that the numbers seem to indicate that this is an above-average defense that needs to take the next step.

Regarding the rest of the league, here's a few quick-hit thoughts:

- if you don't think that the Bears have the best defense in the NFL, well, you're wrong.  Plain and simple. They allow the fewest points, the fewest yards per play, the fewest first downs per game, and they take the ball away more than any other team.  For good measure, they also had 50 sacks (tied for 3rd) and scored more defensive TDs than any other team (6).

- Minnesota had a sneaky-good defense in 2018. You hear almost nothing about them, but they allowed the 4th fewest points, 4th-fewest yards per play, and had 50 sacks. They also ranked 1st in 3rd down conversion rate allowed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/2/2019 at 7:40 AM, thebandit27 said:

Buffalo ranked 13th in TOP per game at 30:29.

They have got to fix the red zone defense. I don't have a great solution with the current roster, but it was awful in 2018; the only glaring problem with the D, but it's pretty important. You could almost count on a TD as soon as the opponent got inside the 20. They were nowhere near as bad in 2017, so I'm hoping McDermott has some answers.

Edited by LSHMEAB