Daniel Jeremiah’s Top 5 Offenses and Defenses for 2019

17 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

What?

That's like, the opposite of every impression I've ever gotten from him.

Ya. Jeremiah is pretty fantastic.

So I’ll just assume that guy was being a silly guy.

If not, then he needs to be plugged in to the social pipeline.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Significant drop off after Buffalo.

I would have expected Dallas to be higher (ranked 16).

Their defensive weakness for me is that other than Byron Jones their secondary is mediocre. My instinct having watched a lot of their games (they are the live later kicks off game in the UK a LOT) is that their numbers will be hurt by giving up too many deep balls. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

My thoughts exactly.

They struggle to rush the passer and play the run occasionally. Need to be much improved there.

Read the PFF-written story in last week's FMIA column. Good teams view coverage as more important than pass rush, and the Bills are excellent in coverage. They have actually gotten better on paper since then, which is a credit to Beane. Notably, the Bears and Patriots had fantastic coverage units last year.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Their defensive weakness for me is that other than Byron Jones their secondary is mediocre. My instinct having watched a lot of their games (they are the live later kicks off game in the UK a LOT) is that their numbers will be hurt by giving up too many deep balls. 

yes, it's not very good. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I’ll go with opponents’ yards per pass attempt.  Top 4 last year:  Chicago, Baltimore, Buffalo, Jacksonville.

The top three had the same order for defensive team passer rating, but Jax was sixth (Minnesota was 4th and Cleveland 5th).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Read the PFF-written story in last week's FMIA column. Good teams view coverage as more important than pass rush, and the Bills are excellent in coverage. They have actually gotten better on paper since then, which is a credit to Beane. Notably, the Bears and Patriots had fantastic coverage units last year.

yes, it's not very good. 

Thanks for the heads up on the FMIA column Dave. Sounds interesting. I will look up. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Thanks for the heads up on the FMIA column Dave. Sounds interesting. I will look up. 

Here it is: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/17/pro-football-focus-nfl-analytics-fmia-guest/.

Relevant passage (and as per the advice to teams at the end, note that this is EXACTLY what Beane did this offseason):

Coverage is more important than pass rush, all else being equal

Analytics have a way of upsetting your sensibilities and upending some preconceived notions. Growing up, we’ve been conditioned to believe that pass rush is critical. And for good reason—pressure reduces passer rating substantially (by about 30 points) and nearly halves a team’s yards per play average. And we can see from the broadcast angle when pressure affects a quarterback. Because passing is so important, good pass-rushers have been the highest-paid members of most NFL’s defenses.

However, we found that not only does pass coverage (as measured by PFF grades) explain team success better than pass-rushing, but predicts it better as well. This helps explain why the winningest team in the league (New England) has used its only two big-name defensive free-agent signings on cornerbacks over the past decade (Stephon Gilmore and Darrelle Revis), and why defensive end Trey Flowers is currently a Detroit Lion. One need only to go back to last year’s playoffs to see how the quick passing game of today’s NFL mitigates even the strongest pass rush, with the Patriots racking up 78 points en route to the Super Bowl despite facing the vaunted pass rushers on the Chargers and Chiefs.

The caveat to this finding? As a trait, coverage tends to be less stable year to year. The upshot? Invest a lot into coverage, so that some subset of five or six of these players give you an elite group.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Eagles and Chargers (!) Offenses ahead of NO and Rams?

Come on...

I would put the Browns’ O ahead of both Philly and LAC.  They will be tough to stop this year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/26/2019 at 2:35 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Jags #1 D? I wonder his reasoning. They were 5th last year on the two sites I just looked at. No Pats in top 5 on either side? 

Say what???   Pass the joint ...  I want to enjoy this stuff too. 

Top 5 NFL Team Total Defense Statistics - 2018

(* pleading ignorance because I don't recall or have not followed close enough)

1. B'more - lost a # of talented players.  I can see them dropping out of the top 5. 
  2. Buffalo - gained talented players more than enough to offset Kyle's big departure.  I cannot see them dropping out of the top 5. 
  3. Chi - *
  4. Minny - *
  5. Jax - *

Last season 

Dallas # 7  - 

LAC  # 9 -  

Denver # 22 - 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Bangarang said:

You do realize that he actually was an NFL scout before going to television right?

I don’t get this hostility towards him. He’s one of the better media people out there. Bills fans are so easily offended over such nonsense.

I know he was.  From everything Ive heard from him, he probably was not a very good one. 

This is a piss poor evaluation by him as usual.  The Jags D will likely not even be top 10.  The Bills D will definitely be top 5.  Denvers top 5 days are behind them.  Denver will sneak into the top 10 but not 5.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

On 6/26/2019 at 3:03 PM, formerlyofCtown said:

Top five reasons Jeremiah Sucks.

1. Jeremiah is a moron.

2. Jeremiah is an idiot.

3. Jeremiah was never a good scout.

4. Mayock doesnt have Jeremiahs Resume but got a front office job.  Jeremiah is just a TV scout and will never be anything but.

5. Jeremiah is little B word.

bullfrog?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/26/2019 at 3:03 PM, formerlyofCtown said:

Top five reasons Jeremiah Sucks.

1. Jeremiah is a moron.

2. Jeremiah is an idiot.

3. Jeremiah was never a good scout.

4. Mayock doesnt have Jeremiahs Resume but got a front office job.  Jeremiah is just a TV scout and will never be anything but.

5. Jeremiah is little B word.

I've watched his dad David Jeremiah on TV, he's a preacher and a gifted preacher at that. I'm assuming Daniel is a child of God as well. I know we all love the Bills but please be more respectful in the future. Guy has achieved a lot in his life. College QB, NFL scout, tv host, etc. What have you done? 

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

I've watched his dad David Jeremiah on TV, he's a preacher and a gifted preacher at that. I'm assuming Daniel is a child of God as well. I know we all love the Bills but please be more respectful in the future. Guy has achieved a lot in his life. College QB, NFL scout, tv host, etc. What have you done? 

Plenty oh self righteous one.  And his dad is a hypocrite, that just doesn't get the gospel.  You know the kind of guy that wears a $2K suit and says he needs your money  This isnt the place for this kind of thing though.  

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I know he was.  From everything Ive heard from him, he probably was not a very good one. 

This is a piss poor evaluation by him as usual.  The Jags D will likely not even be top 10.  The Bills D will definitely be top 5.  Denvers top 5 days are behind them.  Denver will sneak into the top 10 but not 5.

On what basis don't you think the Jags will be a top 10 D?

To me them and Chicago are the absolute shoe ins for the top 5. 

5 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I bet most of us work for a living....

I hate the Pats but don’t understand how he has the Chargers top 5 in both, but not them. I suppose Fangio to Denver is what lead him to put their D top 5, but playing KC and LAC for 4 of their games won’t help their stats. I’m not posting his rankings to complain about him not having the Bills on there. But I think I would put them in mine especially given their schedule, the additions, the 3rd year in same system, potential improvement of Edmunds in year 2, the depth in the secondary, the speed at LB, and the biggest thing, the pass D. 

As for Jeremiah, he’s certainly credible when it comes to the NFL. He is, however, part of the Chargers radio broadcast team. Maybe a bit biased, but it’s not like putting them top 5 in both categories is a super hot take. Still it’s not a lock. For me. 

Edited by YoloinOhio