Musical Reunions You Would Like to See

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Do you (or anyone else reading this) happen to know why Neil Peart retired?

I know the story is he is no longer physically capable of playing on a high enough level for his own satisfaction, but specifically, what is the problem?  Like does he have arthritis in his elbows or something?

Arthritis and tendonitis.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Apparently Stu Cook and Doug Clifford have put their differences aside with Fogerty to make business decisions together regarding archive footage/audio. They're also breaking up with Creedence Clearwater Revisited once their previously scheduled tour obligations are done.  Obviously without Tom we'll never have a true reunion, but 3/4 would be pretty awesome. 

On 6/26/2019 at 2:14 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Doug Clifford (drummer) and Stu cook (bassist) have been touring with a new (new as in 20 years, but you catch my drift) called Creedence Clearwater Revisited. I've seen them twice and they're not bad at all. But I'd love to see them put their differences aside with Fogerty for a tour. 

John wouldn’t bury the hatchet with his own brother Tom while he was dying.

On 9/21/2019 at 10:18 AM, Ralonzo said:

John wouldn’t bury the hatchet with his own brother Tom while he was dying.

The way he screwed them at the R&R Hall of Fame, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to get back together. I met them briefly after one of their Revisited shows once, and they were genuinely some of the nicest musicians I've ever met. 

I read a book about Creedence. The author basically just wrote the facts, and anything that was disputable, he used their own words from interviews he'd compiled. They shared a quote from John talking about how he wrote Down on the Corner by himself, but convinced the rest of the band that they helped write it. I was waiting for them to refute the claim and say they actually did help write it. Nope. Both of their statements boiled down to "Yeah. John wrote that song. It was a great song. We had nothing to do with it." He has such a big ego it's ridiculous.

I saw an interview recently where he said they broke up because he was so much more famous than the rest of the band. People would swarm him for autographs, and the rest of the band was jealous. I call BS on that. They were a band that was all about the music. So it wasn't like he was Mick Jagger, one of the Beatles or Monkees, etc. Anybody who recognized him back then most likely would have recognized, or at least deduced who the rest of the band was. 

He's such an a-hole, but makes great music. I understand the unlikeliness of it happening, but I remain hopeful that they put their differences aside for one final tour, even if it is just because they see the dollar signs.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:56 AM, Gugny said:

I'd also love to see Steve Winwood and Dave Mason get a band together and play nothing but Traffic tunes.

When many discuss the great bands of the late 60s/early 70s, I rarely hear Traffic mentioned.  I think they're vastly underrated and among the best of that era.  I love all of their music and would be ecstatic if these two could pull this off.

I saw Winwood at Foxwoods 2 years ago. He sounded as good as he did in the 70s. The man is a great singer and a great musician.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I saw Winwood at Foxwoods 2 years ago. He sounded as good as he did in the 70s. The man is a great singer and a great musician.

Steve could pull this off without Mason, and do it well I would think. Traffic Revisited tour or something like that. Leave the solo pop ***** at the house and give it one Great Last Go... there will never ever be anything like Traffic and a lot of bands ever again.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, T&C said:

Steve could pull this off without Mason, and do it well I would think. Traffic Revisited tour or something like that. Leave the solo pop ***** at the house and give it one Great Last Go... there will never ever be anything like Traffic and a lot of bands ever again.

At the concert he did a little Blind Faith, a little Spencer Davis, some solo, and lots of Traffic.

The show was way better than I expected and my hopes were high. He was stunningly great.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

At the concert he did a little Blind Faith, a little Spencer Davis, some solo, and lots of Traffic.

The show was way better than I expected and my hopes were high. He was stunningly great.

My avatar says Yes... let's go on with it!

On 9/19/2019 at 7:19 PM, Nextmanup said:

After their London 02 reunion, there is no doubt in my mind that Jonesy and Page were ready to put together a tour and enjoy playing some Zeppelin music again.

The guy who killed it and who will not reunite is Plant.  I personally believe this is because he has always had a giant ego and is a douche of a person IMO...and he knows better than anyone that he literally cannot sing Zeppelin music anymore.  So he doesn't want to go out there and embarrass himself.

Bonzo was such a key element to the sound of Zeppelin, and of course, he's gone now.  His son plays absolutely nothing like his father, unfortunately.  So for various reasons, Zeppelin as it was will never perform on stage again.

Having said all of the above, if JPJ and Page want to put something together and perform on stage again, I would definitely go...but it wouldn't exactly be a Zeppelin reunion.  I think that's impossible now.

Yopu would be right about Plant not wanting to do it.

You are wrong about him not still having the pipes for it, if he wanted to though.

You are also totally wrong about him having a huge ego and being a douche - he's a decent guy who isn't bothered about the limelight any more.

I would also say that Bonzo and Plant were close, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Plant isn't interested in being in any form of Zeppelin without him.

24 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Yopu would be right about Plant not wanting to do it.

You are wrong about him not still having the pipes for it, if he wanted to though.

You are also totally wrong about him having a huge ego and being a douche - he's a decent guy who isn't bothered about the limelight any more.

I would also say that Bonzo and Plant were close, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Plant isn't interested in being in any form of Zeppelin without him.

Paraphrasing here, but I read an interview with Plant where he basically said The Eagles still hated each other when the got back together. They didn't need the money, but they were bored. He gets all the money he needs from his LZ royalties, and he enjoys his side projects venturing into different genres. 

The greatest Motown group never heard - the Mynah Birds featuring Neil Young and Rick James (seriously)!

It's a crazy story involving Levon Helm and Garth Hudson of the Band, James deserting the US Navy before being deported and arrested and Neil and Bruce Palmer subsequently buying a hearse heading to California and forming Buffalo Springfield.

Would have been amazing to see all of those guys that were on the path to superstardom before they were famous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mynah_Birds

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Paraphrasing here, but I read an interview with Plant where he basically said The Eagles still hated each other when the got back together. They didn't need the money, but they were bored. He gets all the money he needs from his LZ royalties, and he enjoys his side projects venturing into different genres. 

Ian Anderson still farms from what I know... how bored can one possibly get with that much money?

Also, ***** the Eagles.

16 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The greatest Motown group never heard - the Mynah Birds featuring Neil Young and Rick James (seriously)!

It's a crazy story involving Levon Helm and Garth Hudson of the Band, James deserting the US Navy before being deported and arrested and Neil and Bruce Palmer subsequently buying a hearse heading to California and forming Buffalo Springfield.

Would have been amazing to see all of those guys that were on the path to superstardom before they were famous.

About five years after the Beatles breakup, John and Paul had made peace and started rebuilding their friendship, even though there was no professional relationship anymore. There's a recording of John, Paul, Harry Nilson, Bobby Keys (sax player for the stones), and Stevie ***** Wonder having a 2 am cocaine fueled jam session. Sounds like it'd be the greatest thing ever recorded. Unfortunately, it was just them screwing around in a studio and didn't come out to much. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

About five years after the Beatles breakup, John and Paul had made peace and started rebuilding their friendship, even though there was no professional relationship anymore. There's a recording of John, Paul, Harry Nilson, Bobby Keys (sax player for the stones), and Stevie ***** Wonder having a 2 am cocaine fueled jam session. Sounds like it'd be the greatest thing ever recorded. Unfortunately, it was just them screwing around in a studio and didn't come out to much. 

nobody on that list proved he could think up or lead a jam, which was a very basic tool of most great bands from 1968 to 1973

a ton of great 3 minutes 45s there

10 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Yes, I've listened to that jam and it was very disappointing. Less blow and more show would have been nice. :)

35 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Yes, I've listened to that jam and it was very disappointing. Less blow and more show would have been nice. :)

the Jamming with Edward fun was better, if only for Nicky Hopkins' contributions.

• Like (+1) 2