Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Albany,n.y.

Chris Brown doesn't know much about the NFL

Recommended Posts

On 6/26/2019 at 11:38 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

He's been with Tasker on the radio this week & I'm surprised by his lack of knowledge. 

 

Yesterday he talked about how Miami traded Wes Welker to NE & expressed astonishment that they would trade him in the division.  What he obviously had no knowledge of is the fact Welker was a restricted free agent & had agreed to terms with NE on a contract with a poison pill that would make it impossible for Miami to match.  Because the contract wasn't signed the fact that NE had Miami over a barrel is somewhat obscured because Welker signed a new contract with NE after the trade, but anyone who covers a team in the division should know this.  

 

Then today they were talking about players whose careers were cut short by injury.  Brown didn't even know what position Greg Cook played.  Greg Cook's story is well known by just about anyone who knows NFL history.  Once again, maybe acceptable for casual or younger fans, but for a guy who covers the NFL for a living, pretty bad.  

 

Never heard of Greg Cook sorry & seeing as Miami isn't a team that Brown spends a lot of time researching i think i'll give him a pass on that one  i would say 2 out of a couple thousand ain't bad for Browny !

 

But by your opinion I'm guessing your a Murphy fan ?? Maybe you need to apply when Murph get's back & you can take Taskers place !! Just saying .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

 

It is much less of a mess at official level. The problem is politicians. 

 

its always politicians.<_<

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2019 at 1:08 PM, eball said:

 

LOL, ask 100 NFL fans who Greg Cook is and you might get 2 or 3 correct responses -- from 65-year-olds.  :lol:

 

I'm 32 and have watched every NFL film I could get my hands on, as well as books about the old days of the game. I've never even heard of him until now. He must not have been as big of a deal as the OP makes him out to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

 

I'm 32 and have watched every NFL film I could get my hands on, as well as books about the old days of the game. I've never even heard of him until now. He must not have been as big of a deal as the OP makes him out to be.

Wrong. He had the sickest play-action fake I’ve ever seen. He had a great arm and was a budding star. Unfortunately for him and The League, he busted up his shoulder and after the (old school) surgery, he could hardly throw the ball any more. His talent was undeniable. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris Browns the only one worth listening to once camp starts.  I’ll give him a pass, this stuff is far from critical memory material.

 

poor guys trying to find something to talk about in this offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2019 at 2:53 PM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

That's somewhat of a fair point.  The world has devolved to where we forget what it is to require a good knowledge base of the opinionaters.   Go study the FCC act of 1996 and write your representatives.  

 

This is just nonsense that has absolutely nothing to do with any "requirement" for "a good knowledge base" except for participants in a pre-1970 pro football trivia contest.   Brown is a commentator on the NFL today, specifically the Bills.   Why should  anybody be expected to remember a QB who only started 11 games in the last year of the AFL in 1969 (40+ years ago) unless they had some kind of connection to him, such as being a long time Bengals or U of Cincinatti fan?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2019 at 5:21 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

1) I've never gone on the air unprepared & uninformed. I know better than to be on the radio.  If I got paid for going on the air, I'd do my homework & not sound like a fool.  

2) The poster boy for how to ruin a potential HOF career.  He wasn't JAG, he had superstar potential but back in the late 60's early 70s sports medicine wasn't anywhere like today and he never reached his potential.   https://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/1/27/2752262/cincinnati-bengals-university-cincinnati-bearcats-greg-cook-died

"Greg was the single most talented player we’ve ever had with the Bengals," said Bengals president Mike Brown. "His career was tragically short due to the injury. Had he been able to stay healthy, I believe he would have been the player of his era in the NFL.

https://thegruelingtruth.com/football/greg-cook-he-could-have-been-the-greatest-ever/

Bill Walsh called Cook “the most talented quarterback he had ever seen” 

 

 

 

Cook was the 5th player taken in the 1969 draft, and he started 11 games as a rookie -- for an expansion team in its second season.    He had a decent rookie season in a league that didn't have the size nor the talent pool of the NFL, but like Robert Griffin, was his career truly derailed by his injury or was he one of those numerous first round QBs who fail to live up to where they were drafted?  Nobody knows.

 

Your quote from Mike Brown was a comment from the son of the man who drafted Cook, Paul Brown.

 

Bill Walsh  thought Trent Edwards was a great prospect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris Brown wasn't even born yet when Greg Cook played. Cook is someone he would have read about in NFL history. I'm 65 years old and barely remember him. It was a piece of NFL trivia that he just didn't recall. I don't believe it to be enough evidence to say he doesn't know much about the NFL. I find him to be very knowledgeable and well informed, especially with the Bills and current happenings around the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, SoTier said:

 

Cook was the 5th player taken in the 1969 draft, and he started 11 games as a rookie -- for an expansion team in its second season.    He had a decent rookie season in a league that didn't have the size nor the talent pool of the NFL, but like Robert Griffin, was his career truly derailed by his injury or was he one of those numerous first round QBs who fail to live up to where they were drafted?  Nobody knows.

 

Your quote from Mike Brown was a comment from the son of the man who drafted Cook, Paul Brown.

 

Bill Walsh  thought Trent Edwards was a great prospect. 

 

Sorry are we saying because Bill Walsh liked Trent Edwards he is suddenly discredited? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

 

Sorry are we saying because Bill Walsh liked Trent Edwards he is suddenly discredited? 

 

No, just pointing out that he's not infallible.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2019 at 5:36 PM, without a drought said:

The Dolphins blew it by putting a tender of $1.35mil on him which insured they would get a 2nd round pick. They could have easily went with $1.85mil to insure a 1st round pick compensation or what they should have done is to put the $2.35mil tender on him so they would receive a 1st and 3rd round pick if someone still was interested at that cost. 

The situation was created by Mueller and taken advantage of by the Pats, it was totally avoidable.

Good point, but Welker did very little with Miami outside of kick returns. They definitely made a mistake, but Welker wasn't Welker prior to the trade to NE. We're talking about a guy who had 1 receiving TD in 3 seasons prior to 2007. At the time, you could have made the argument that it was a massive overpay by NE. Looks like they knew what they were doing, as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, SoTier said:

 

This is just nonsense that has absolutely nothing to do with any "requirement" for "a good knowledge base" except for participants in a pre-1970 pro football trivia contest.   Brown is a commentator on the NFL today, specifically the Bills.   Why should  anybody be expected to remember a QB who only started 11 games in the last year of the AFL in 1969 (40+ years ago) unless they had some kind of connection to him, such as being a long time Bengals or U of Cincinatti fan?  

 

 

18 hours ago, SoTier said:

 

Cook was the 5th player taken in the 1969 draft, and he started 11 games as a rookie -- for an expansion team in its second season.    He had a decent rookie season in a league that didn't have the size nor the talent pool of the NFL, but like Robert Griffin, was his career truly derailed by his injury or was he one of those numerous first round QBs who fail to live up to where they were drafted?  Nobody knows.

 

Your quote from Mike Brown was a comment from the son of the man who drafted Cook, Paul Brown.

 

Bill Walsh  thought Trent Edwards was a great prospect. 

You sure do know a lot about someone so forgettable...  

 

They can't all be Vin Scully, but what the heck is wrong with having high standards?   People like you are gonna put Joe Buck and Troy Aikman in some Broadcaster Hall Of Fame someday.  

 

Go whack off to your Joe Buck posters in private and try to keep the noise down.  

 

Sicko.  

 

 

 

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m surprised by this take. 

 

In my opinion, Chris Brown is the best local media talent that Buffalo has and the only one that I could ever see making it to a national level. 

 

The rest of the Bills Beat reporters are stuck in amateur hour.  Pretty large gap between Brown and the rest in my eyes. 

 

Brown is the the only one to handle things with a professional tone and a front office type of outlook.  Unfortunately the rest of the media are either cynical fans that need to move on to another job for their own happiness, or overly optimistic guys that don’t seem to understand the true in’s and out’s of the sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find Chris Brown's work to be boring. He's essentially a mouthpiece for the Bills, which is fine. That's his gig.

 

However, I had absolutely no idea who this Cook character was and wouldn't hold that against anyone in the business. 

 

I thought the OP was referencing Jared Cook. I mean, we could use a tight end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2019 at 1:08 PM, T master said:

 

Never heard of Greg Cook sorry & seeing as Miami isn't a team that Brown spends a lot of time researching i think i'll give him a pass on that one  i would say 2 out of a couple thousand ain't bad for Browny !

 

But by your opinion I'm guessing your a Murphy fan ?? Maybe you need to apply when Murph get's back & you can take Taskers place !! Just saying .

 

Chris Brown earns $39,600 from the Bills through their PR account.  I know - I cut the checks.  Want to you want from the guy??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 5:54 AM, Nanker said:

Wrong. He had the sickest play-action fake I’ve ever seen. He had a great arm and was a budding star. Unfortunately for him and The League, he busted up his shoulder and after the (old school) surgery, he could hardly throw the ball any more. His talent was undeniable. 


That story is as old as sports. Jim McMahon was another, and you could even make a case for David Carr. I'm sure it would make for a fun 30 for 30, but it's not exactly a big deal if you don't remember that version of a guy from 70 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still, it’s nice to recognize athletic greatness when you see it. I guess if you didn’t see it, it didn’t happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, elijah said:

I’m surprised by this take. 

 

In my opinion, Chris Brown is the best local media talent that Buffalo has and the only one that I could ever see making it to a national level. 

 

The rest of the Bills Beat reporters are stuck in amateur hour.  Pretty large gap between Brown and the rest in my eyes. 

 

Brown is the the only one to handle things with a professional tone and a front office type of outlook.  Unfortunately the rest of the media are either cynical fans that need to move on to another job for their own happiness, or overly optimistic guys that don’t seem to understand the true in’s and out’s of the sport.

 

Brown is not a beat reporter. He is a PR guy. As for the most talented guy.... I don't see it. Vic Caurrici spent 6 years as a national guy so he has proven he can go and do it. Vic at his best is a good reporter who can find stories others miss. Tim Graham, while a bit of a snark, is a talented writer and his columns are always well put together and I know Sal C isn't everyone's cup of tea and I think sometimes is a bit too pro-organisation but the hours of preparation and work thae guy puts in is genuinely deserving of respect. And then there is out own JW whose thoughts on this very website provoked a 90 odd page offseason debate. All of those 4 demonstrate more talent to me. That said, Brown isn't really allowed to demonstrate talent because his job is the pedal the line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...