Chris Brown doesn't know much about the NFL

On 6/26/2019 at 2:53 PM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

That's somewhat of a fair point.  The world has devolved to where we forget what it is to require a good knowledge base of the opinionaters.   Go study the FCC act of 1996 and write your representatives.  

This is just nonsense that has absolutely nothing to do with any "requirement" for "a good knowledge base" except for participants in a pre-1970 pro football trivia contest.   Brown is a commentator on the NFL today, specifically the Bills.   Why should  anybody be expected to remember a QB who only started 11 games in the last year of the AFL in 1969 (40+ years ago) unless they had some kind of connection to him, such as being a long time Bengals or U of Cincinatti fan?  

On 6/26/2019 at 5:21 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

1) I've never gone on the air unprepared & uninformed. I know better than to be on the radio.  If I got paid for going on the air, I'd do my homework & not sound like a fool.  

2) The poster boy for how to ruin a potential HOF career.  He wasn't JAG, he had superstar potential but back in the late 60's early 70s sports medicine wasn't anywhere like today and he never reached his potential.   https://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/1/27/2752262/cincinnati-bengals-university-cincinnati-bearcats-greg-cook-died

"Greg was the single most talented player we’ve ever had with the Bengals," said Bengals president Mike Brown. "His career was tragically short due to the injury. Had he been able to stay healthy, I believe he would have been the player of his era in the NFL.

https://thegruelingtruth.com/football/greg-cook-he-could-have-been-the-greatest-ever/

Bill Walsh called Cook “the most talented quarterback he had ever seen” 

Cook was the 5th player taken in the 1969 draft, and he started 11 games as a rookie -- for an expansion team in its second season.    He had a decent rookie season in a league that didn't have the size nor the talent pool of the NFL, but like Robert Griffin, was his career truly derailed by his injury or was he one of those numerous first round QBs who fail to live up to where they were drafted?  Nobody knows.

Your quote from Mike Brown was a comment from the son of the man who drafted Cook, Paul Brown.

Bill Walsh  thought Trent Edwards was a great prospect. 

Chris Brown wasn't even born yet when Greg Cook played. Cook is someone he would have read about in NFL history. I'm 65 years old and barely remember him. It was a piece of NFL trivia that he just didn't recall. I don't believe it to be enough evidence to say he doesn't know much about the NFL. I find him to be very knowledgeable and well informed, especially with the Bills and current happenings around the league. 

52 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Cook was the 5th player taken in the 1969 draft, and he started 11 games as a rookie -- for an expansion team in its second season.    He had a decent rookie season in a league that didn't have the size nor the talent pool of the NFL, but like Robert Griffin, was his career truly derailed by his injury or was he one of those numerous first round QBs who fail to live up to where they were drafted?  Nobody knows.

Your quote from Mike Brown was a comment from the son of the man who drafted Cook, Paul Brown.

Sorry are we saying because Bill Walsh liked Trent Edwards he is suddenly discredited? 

On 6/26/2019 at 5:36 PM, without a drought said:

The Dolphins blew it by putting a tender of $1.35mil on him which insured they would get a 2nd round pick. They could have easily went with $1.85mil to insure a 1st round pick compensation or what they should have done is to put the $2.35mil tender on him so they would receive a 1st and 3rd round pick if someone still was interested at that cost. 

The situation was created by Mueller and taken advantage of by the Pats, it was totally avoidable.

Good point, but Welker did very little with Miami outside of kick returns. They definitely made a mistake, but Welker wasn't Welker prior to the trade to NE. We're talking about a guy who had 1 receiving TD in 3 seasons prior to 2007. At the time, you could have made the argument that it was a massive overpay by NE. Looks like they knew what they were doing, as usual.

18 hours ago, SoTier said:

This is just nonsense that has absolutely nothing to do with any "requirement" for "a good knowledge base" except for participants in a pre-1970 pro football trivia contest.   Brown is a commentator on the NFL today, specifically the Bills.   Why should  anybody be expected to remember a QB who only started 11 games in the last year of the AFL in 1969 (40+ years ago) unless they had some kind of connection to him, such as being a long time Bengals or U of Cincinatti fan?  

18 hours ago, SoTier said:

You sure do know a lot about someone so forgettable...  

They can't all be Vin Scully, but what the heck is wrong with having high standards?   People like you are gonna put Joe Buck and Troy Aikman in some Broadcaster Hall Of Fame someday.  

Go whack off to your Joe Buck posters in private and try to keep the noise down.  

Sicko.  

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett

I’m surprised by this take. 

In my opinion, Chris Brown is the best local media talent that Buffalo has and the only one that I could ever see making it to a national level. 

The rest of the Bills Beat reporters are stuck in amateur hour.  Pretty large gap between Brown and the rest in my eyes. 

Brown is the the only one to handle things with a professional tone and a front office type of outlook.  Unfortunately the rest of the media are either cynical fans that need to move on to another job for their own happiness, or overly optimistic guys that don’t seem to understand the true in’s and out’s of the sport.

I find Chris Brown's work to be boring. He's essentially a mouthpiece for the Bills, which is fine. That's his gig.

However, I had absolutely no idea who this Cook character was and wouldn't hold that against anyone in the business. 

I thought the OP was referencing Jared Cook. I mean, we could use a tight end.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:08 PM, T master said:

Never heard of Greg Cook sorry & seeing as Miami isn't a team that Brown spends a lot of time researching i think i'll give him a pass on that one  i would say 2 out of a couple thousand ain't bad for Browny !

But by your opinion I'm guessing your a Murphy fan ?? Maybe you need to apply when Murph get's back & you can take Taskers place !! Just saying .

Chris Brown earns $39,600 from the Bills through their PR account.  I know - I cut the checks.  Want to you want from the guy??

On 6/29/2019 at 5:54 AM, Nanker said:

Wrong. He had the sickest play-action fake I’ve ever seen. He had a great arm and was a budding star. Unfortunately for him and The League, he busted up his shoulder and after the (old school) surgery, he could hardly throw the ball any more. His talent was undeniable. 

That story is as old as sports. Jim McMahon was another, and you could even make a case for David Carr. I'm sure it would make for a fun 30 for 30, but it's not exactly a big deal if you don't remember that version of a guy from 70 years ago.

16 hours ago, elijah said:

I’m surprised by this take. 

In my opinion, Chris Brown is the best local media talent that Buffalo has and the only one that I could ever see making it to a national level. 

The rest of the Bills Beat reporters are stuck in amateur hour.  Pretty large gap between Brown and the rest in my eyes. 

Brown is the the only one to handle things with a professional tone and a front office type of outlook.  Unfortunately the rest of the media are either cynical fans that need to move on to another job for their own happiness, or overly optimistic guys that don’t seem to understand the true in’s and out’s of the sport.

Brown is not a beat reporter. He is a PR guy. As for the most talented guy.... I don't see it. Vic Caurrici spent 6 years as a national guy so he has proven he can go and do it. Vic at his best is a good reporter who can find stories others miss. Tim Graham, while a bit of a snark, is a talented writer and his columns are always well put together and I know Sal C isn't everyone's cup of tea and I think sometimes is a bit too pro-organisation but the hours of preparation and work thae guy puts in is genuinely deserving of respect. And then there is out own JW whose thoughts on this very website provoked a 90 odd page offseason debate. All of those 4 demonstrate more talent to me. That said, Brown isn't really allowed to demonstrate talent because his job is the pedal the line.