Chris Brown doesn't know much about the NFL

1 hour ago, jabu said:

Now you have me curious; what was the better career move to?

I live in the UK. I am a civil servant working  developing policy for central government. I left journalism and originally joined government comms as essentially a PR guy worked my way into policy. 

People always presume working on the radio must be a cool job. But it doesn't pay great, the hours are long and often unsociable and the contracts and job security often short and temporary. Oh and journalism (which was what I was doing) increasingly gets squeezed on radio in the name of entertainment and the lines are pretty blurred. I get much more fulfillment out of what I do now. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I live in the UK. I am a civil servant working  developing policy for central government. I left journalism and originally joined government comms as essentially a PR guy worked my way into policy. 

People always presume working on the radio must be a cool job. But it doesn't pay great, the hours are long and often unsociable and the contracts and job security often short and temporary. Oh and journalism (which was what I was doing) increasingly gets squeezed on radio in the name of entertainment and the lines are pretty blurred. I get much more fulfillment out of what I do now. 

Congrats on that!  We, those that can, are blessed to be able to do for a living that which we enjoy. With the hours you post here you must keep some crazy hours.  How did you become a Bills fan if in the UK? Do they get exposure over there?

24 minutes ago, jabu said:

Congrats on that!  We, those that can, are blessed to be able to do for a living that which we enjoy. With the hours you post here you must keep some crazy hours.  How did you become a Bills fan if in the UK? Do they get exposure over there?

A mixture of keeping odd hours and never being a great sleeper. I was wide awake at 4.30am today no idea why. Took me an hour to fall back asleep. My Bills fandom is a long story involving a Polish grandfather, a top shelf and a pre-season game from 2002. But I am as passionate a Bills fan as anyone. I will be burning the midnight oil four times in August to not miss a moment of the pre-season!

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He's been with Tasker on the radio this week & I'm surprised by his lack of knowledge. 

Yesterday he talked about how Miami traded Wes Welker to NE & expressed astonishment that they would trade him in the division.  What he obviously had no knowledge of is the fact Welker was a restricted free agent & had agreed to terms with NE on a contract with a poison pill that would make it impossible for Miami to match.  Because the contract wasn't signed the fact that NE had Miami over a barrel is somewhat obscured because Welker signed a new contract with NE after the trade, but anyone who covers a team in the division should know this.  

Then today they were talking about players whose careers were cut short by injury.  Brown didn't even know what position Greg Cook played.  Greg Cook's story is well known by just about anyone who knows NFL history.  Once again, maybe acceptable for casual or younger fans, but for a guy who covers the NFL for a living, pretty bad.  

Greg  Cook ...

8ff4f3e8449b98ced236c33eb5ec4d40.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No offense man, but its pretty ludicrous to expect anyone to remember Greg Cook.  I am a 42 year old avid NFL fan, I know wayyyyy more useless info about the NFL than one should...and I have never heard of Greg Cook.  

If Chris Brown didn't know who Johnny Unitas was, that would be one thing.  But some old timer who never got anywhere in the 60's is beyond extreme in my book, regardless of why.  Sports broadcasters are not computers, they don't have every single fact, name, stat, contract, trade, etc filed away for exact recall at any moment.

And as far as Welker goes, that was 12 years ago.  Do you realize the amount of information that they have covered, read, been a part of, etc etc over that 12 years?  To be able to blindly recall the exact terms of a deal that was   seasons ago precisely is unreasonable, especially since it wasn't even big news or a big deal.  Welker was no one special when NE got him, he was a minor role player with upside so its not like the deal made major news or a major impact at the time it went down.

So, no disrespect, but both of your points here are pretty unreasonable expectations of Brown IMO.  While a sports broadcaster should know MORE than a casual fan, he is also not required to know every fact in existence.  So that means there will be on occasion something you know that he didn't even though overall he knows more than you and the casual fan.  They are people, not computers.  

Cook does have a really important place in the history of the sport though. He was the super talented 1st round big arm Quarterback that was supposed to be Paul Brown's answer in Cincinnati to what Otto Graham had been in Cleveland. A certain Bill Walsh was their OC and they were running what was, at the time, a very traditional run the ball and take vertical shots offense. 

When Cook suffered a serious injury the backup QB (Virgil something or other) came in. He didn't have Cook's arm or all around talent but he was smart and accurate. Paul Brown told Bill Walsh to find a way of running the offense through the backup and the horizontal passing offense - what would become known as the west coast offense - was born. It was pretty revolutionary for the time and the Bengals and then 49ers obviously had great success with it. But without Cook's injury it may never have happened. He may never put on a gold jacket, or be a career passing leader... but Greg Cook played a critical role in the changing of offense in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cook does have a really important place in the history of the sport though. He was the super talented 1st round big arm Quarterback that was supposed to be Paul Brown's answer in Cincinnati to what Otto Graham had been in Cleveland. A certain Bill Walsh was their OC and they were running what was, at the time, a very traditional run the ball and take vertical shots offense. 

When Cook suffered a serious injury the backup QB (Virgil something or other) came in. He didn't have Cook's arm or all around talent but he was smart and accurate. Paul Brown told Bill Walsh to find a way of running the offense through the backup and the horizontal passing offense - what would become known as the west coast offense - was born. It was pretty revolutionary for the time and the Bengals and then 49ers obviously had great success with it. But without Cook's injury it may never have happened. He may never put on a gold jacket, or be a career passing leader... but Greg Cook played a critical role in the changing of offense in the NFL. 

Yep.  Bill Walsh talks about Greg Cook, his injury, Virgil Carter, and the origins of the West Coast offense in his book, The Score Takes Care of Itself.

I remember Cook mostly because I had his trading card when I was a kid.  Here's what Walsh wrote about him.

"...a young quarterback with a great arm.  I have seen very few quarterbacks with his talent."  

But I wouldn't expect the average fan to know about him.

15 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yep.  Bill Walsh talks about Greg Cook, his injury, Virgil Carter, and the origins of the West Coast offense in his book, The Score Takes Care of Itself.

I remember Cook mostly because I had his trading card when I was a kid.  Here's what Walsh wrote about him.

"...a young quarterback with a great arm.  I have seen very few quarterbacks with his talent."  

But I wouldn't expect the average fan to know about him.

Average fan? No. But any real student of the game I would expect to. One of the most revolutionary offensive schemes happened because of him. Maybe I am being harsh. 

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh come on, he knows at least as much about the NFL  as his boss

...and every other new owner of an NFL franchise within the past 30 years.

As for Cook, I agree that very few people would know who he was.  He played 45 years ago, for barely a season, and then was never heard from again.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:51 PM, GunnerBill said:

Everybody should know who Greg Cook is. Without Greg Cook and his unfortunate injury there is no west coast offence, no Bill Walsh in the HoF and no 49ers dynasty. 

Yep. Did it every day for 18 months. Was pretty good at it. Left it because of a bit of a disenchantment with journalism and for a better long term career move. I promise you it really isn't as hard as Steve Tasker makes it sound. 

Why are you asking other peoples questions for them? BTW, I bet Steve Tasker thinks he is pretty good too.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Average fan? No. But any real student of the game I would expect to. One of the most revolutionary offensive schemes happened because of him. Maybe I am being harsh. 

Cook would be the answer to a football trivia question, at most.  

And God bless Bill Walsh, but he also infamously said this:  “Marv, by the way, you’ve got one whale of a quarterback in Trent.” 

That was Trent Edwards...

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Why are you asking other peoples questions for them? BTW, I bet Steve Tasker thinks he is pretty good too.

Asking whose questions? As for Tasker, I think the fact CBS have dropped him so far that he is no longer even considered capable of reporting on the location of the goalposts might have suggested to him that there is a certain amount of game upping that is needed. 

On 6/26/2019 at 11:38 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

He's been with Tasker on the radio this week & I'm surprised by his lack of knowledge. 

Yesterday he talked about how Miami traded Wes Welker to NE & expressed astonishment that they would trade him in the division.  What he obviously had no knowledge of is the fact Welker was a restricted free agent & had agreed to terms with NE on a contract with a poison pill that would make it impossible for Miami to match.  Because the contract wasn't signed the fact that NE had Miami over a barrel is somewhat obscured because Welker signed a new contract with NE after the trade, but anyone who covers a team in the division should know this.  

Then today they were talking about players whose careers were cut short by injury.  Brown didn't even know what position Greg Cook played.  Greg Cook's story is well known by just about anyone who knows NFL history.  Once again, maybe acceptable for casual or younger fans, but for a guy who covers the NFL for a living, pretty bad.  

Never heard of Greg Cook sorry & seeing as Miami isn't a team that Brown spends a lot of time researching i think i'll give him a pass on that one  i would say 2 out of a couple thousand ain't bad for Browny !

But by your opinion I'm guessing your a Murphy fan ?? Maybe you need to apply when Murph get's back & you can take Taskers place !! Just saying .

On 6/26/2019 at 1:08 PM, eball said:

LOL, ask 100 NFL fans who Greg Cook is and you might get 2 or 3 correct responses -- from 65-year-olds.  :lol:

I'm 32 and have watched every NFL film I could get my hands on, as well as books about the old days of the game. I've never even heard of him until now. He must not have been as big of a deal as the OP makes him out to be.

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm 32 and have watched every NFL film I could get my hands on, as well as books about the old days of the game. I've never even heard of him until now. He must not have been as big of a deal as the OP makes him out to be.

Wrong. He had the sickest play-action fake I’ve ever seen. He had a great arm and was a budding star. Unfortunately for him and The League, he busted up his shoulder and after the (old school) surgery, he could hardly throw the ball any more. His talent was undeniable. 

• Like (+1) 1