Chris Brown doesn't know much about the NFL

The Dolphins blew it by putting a tender of $1.35mil on him which insured they would get a 2nd round pick. They could have easily went with $1.85mil to insure a 1st round pick compensation or what they should have done is to put the $2.35mil tender on him so they would receive a 1st and 3rd round pick if someone still was interested at that cost. 

The situation was created by Mueller and taken advantage of by the Pats, it was totally avoidable.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

1) I've never gone on the air unprepared & uninformed. I know better than to be on the radio.  If I got paid for going on the air, I'd do my homework & not sound like a fool.  

2) The poster boy for how to ruin a potential HOF career.  He wasn't JAG, he had superstar potential but back in the late 60's early 70s sports medicine wasn't anywhere like today and he never reached his potential.   https://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/1/27/2752262/cincinnati-bengals-university-cincinnati-bearcats-greg-cook-died

"Greg was the single most talented player we’ve ever had with the Bengals," said Bengals president Mike Brown. "His career was tragically short due to the injury. Had he been able to stay healthy, I believe he would have been the player of his era in the NFL.

https://thegruelingtruth.com/football/greg-cook-he-could-have-been-the-greatest-ever/

Bill Walsh called Cook “the most talented quarterback he had ever seen” 

Have you ever gone on the air? Hmmm? Id bet if you did you would struggle

The Dols could have absolutely fought the Cheaters' illegal poison pill contract.  But since they were getting a 2nd and 7th for a guy they signed as a street FA and who had 67 catches for 697 yards and 1 TD, they felt like it was a good deal.  And at the time it was.

I’m 59, not old enough to know who he is...?

5 hours ago, eball said:

LOL, ask 100 NFL fans who Greg Cook is and you might get 2 or 3 correct responses -- from 65-year-olds.  :lol:

Everybody should know who Greg Cook is. Without Greg Cook and his unfortunate injury there is no west coast offence, no Bill Walsh in the HoF and no 49ers dynasty. 

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

Have you ever gone on the air? Hmmm? Id bet if you did you would struggle

Yep. Did it every day for 18 months. Was pretty good at it. Left it because of a bit of a disenchantment with journalism and for a better long term career move. I promise you it really isn't as hard as Steve Tasker makes it sound. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo86 said:

Correct.  No need to deal with the reality of the NFL when you're writing fictional pieces about EJ Manuel's improved accuracy.

Yea I don't mind Chris Brown but he isn't a broadcast journalist. He is a PR guy. The two jobs are similar. You still write stories and articles but you do so to "sell a message". That was the route I went originally too after journalism. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

1) I've never gone on the air unprepared & uninformed. I know better than to be on the radio.  If I got paid for going on the air, I'd do my homework & not sound like a fool.  

2) The poster boy for how to ruin a potential HOF career.  He wasn't JAG, he had superstar potential but back in the late 60's early 70s sports medicine wasn't anywhere like today and he never reached his potential.   https://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/1/27/2752262/cincinnati-bengals-university-cincinnati-bearcats-greg-cook-died

"Greg was the single most talented player we’ve ever had with the Bengals," said Bengals president Mike Brown. "His career was tragically short due to the injury. Had he been able to stay healthy, I believe he would have been the player of his era in the NFL.

https://thegruelingtruth.com/football/greg-cook-he-could-have-been-the-greatest-ever/

Bill Walsh called Cook “the most talented quarterback he had ever seen” 

No offense man, but its pretty ludicrous to expect anyone to remember Greg Cook.  I am a 42 year old avid NFL fan, I know wayyyyy more useless info about the NFL than one should...and I have never heard of Greg Cook.  

If Chris Brown didn't know who Johnny Unitas was, that would be one thing.  But some old timer who never got anywhere in the 60's is beyond extreme in my book, regardless of why.  Sports broadcasters are not computers, they don't have every single fact, name, stat, contract, trade, etc filed away for exact recall at any moment.

And as far as Welker goes, that was 12 years ago.  Do you realize the amount of information that they have covered, read, been a part of, etc etc over that 12 years?  To be able to blindly recall the exact terms of a deal that was 12 seasons ago precisely is unreasonable, especially since it wasn't even big news or a big deal.  Welker was no one special when NE got him, he was a minor role player with upside so its not like the deal made major news or a major impact at the time it went down.

So, no disrespect, but both of your points here are pretty unreasonable expectations of Brown IMO.  While a sports broadcaster should know MORE than a casual fan, he is also not required to know every fact in existence.  So that means there will be on occasion something you know that he didn't even though overall he knows more than you and the casual fan.  They are people, not computers.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m a truck driver. I can’t even make it 10 minutes on WGR let alone until One Bills Live comes on. All hockey all day. The team is very, very terrible. It’s late June and we’re listening to hockey talk. I just bounce around the national shows and actually enjoy when they bash the Bills because at least they’re talking about them.

Cook played during the SB-era. I would think a true student of the history of the game would’ve at least heard of him, JMO. Chris Brown is irrelevant though, so it really doesn’t matter one way or the other, again JMO.

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He's been with Tasker on the radio this week & I'm surprised by his lack of knowledge. 

Yesterday he talked about how Miami traded Wes Welker to NE & expressed astonishment that they would trade him in the division.  What he obviously had no knowledge of is the fact Welker was a restricted free agent & had agreed to terms with NE on a contract with a poison pill that would make it impossible for Miami to match.  Because the contract wasn't signed the fact that NE had Miami over a barrel is somewhat obscured because Welker signed a new contract with NE after the trade, but anyone who covers a team in the division should know this.  

Then today they were talking about players whose careers were cut short by injury.  Brown didn't even know what position Greg Cook played.  Greg Cook's story is well known by just about anyone who knows NFL history.  Once again, maybe acceptable for casual or younger fans, but for a guy who covers the NFL for a living, pretty bad.  

Im surprised you can listen to that show..

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Everybody should know who Greg Cook is. Without Greg Cook and his unfortunate injury there is no west coast offence, no Bill Walsh in the HoF and no 49ers dynasty. 

Yep. Did it every day for 18 months. Was pretty good at it. Left it because of a bit of a disenchantment with journalism and for a better long term career move. I promise you it really isn't as hard as Steve Tasker makes it sound. 

Now you have me curious; what was the better career move to?

I'm 67 and lived in Cincinnati for 35 years so I was well aware of Greg Cook.  He's still "worshiped" there.  An interesting fact is that Greg Cook replaced former UB quarterback John Stofa as the Bengals quarterback.  While Chris Brown was going on about how some teams can be so foolish as to trade what are obvious star players to be, he seemed to overlook the fact that the Bills traded Jason Peters to the Eagles.  I know the back story involved but even at the time I thought Marv had made a mistake.  If Chris did mention that trade it must have been after I turned off the show and I apologize to him.

• Like (+1) 1

Good job. You know two things that Chris Brown doesn't.

But just so you know, Brown's job isn't memorizing old NFL trivia. It's to report on the current Bills team.