Chris Brown doesn't know much about the NFL

29 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

That's the same thing that I said.  The only reason they didn't use the offer was because they had Miami over a barrel & with the threat of the offer got the trade.  As I said Because the contract wasn't signed the fact that NE had Miami over a barrel is somewhat obscured because Welker signed a new contract with NE after the trade,

They had them over a barrel so they gave them a 2nd and 7th round pick?  If they had them over a barrel, why give them 2 picks?

He's probably never heard of Moonlight Graham either.

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

They had them over a barrel so they gave them a 2nd and 7th round pick?  If they had them over a barrel, why give them 2 picks?

That would be like giving them the barrel for nothing.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

his job is to cover the bills. granted, he's no gil brandt but i tune into this show to hear about the bills and foootball.  if anything tasker has all but killed the show so far. i find myself looking at what day and time it is to see if i'm actually listening to obl.  there was a thread a while back about tasker and i've been thinking about bumping it...until now.

tasker does zero show prep and carries on about nothing like howard simon. i can't wait for murph to get back. sheesh

And what is Murph going to talk about?...Yesterday the guys were talking about Mickey Callaway for a full segment.

This is football sleepy time...people are tired of predicting things...the only thing going on now is...a new turf is being installed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He's been with Tasker on the radio this week & I'm surprised by his lack of knowledge. 

Yesterday he talked about how Miami traded Wes Welker to NE & expressed astonishment that they would trade him in the division.  What he obviously had no knowledge of is the fact Welker was a restricted free agent & had agreed to terms with NE on a contract with a poison pill that would make it impossible for Miami to match.  Because the contract wasn't signed the fact that NE had Miami over a barrel is somewhat obscured because Welker signed a new contract with NE after the trade, but anyone who covers a team in the division should know this.  

Then today they were talking about players whose careers were cut short by injury.  Brown didn't even know what position Greg Cook played.  Greg Cook's story is well know by just about anyone who knows NFL history.  Once again, maybe acceptable for casual or younger fans, but for a guy who covers the NFL for a living, pretty bad.  

Who? 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

NE was getting Welker one way or another.  If the Dolphins didn't agree to the trade, then NE would have had Welker sign their offer.  The Dolphins would not have been able to match, so they would have gotten a 2nd rounder anyway.  By making the deal, NE was able to structure the contract more to their advantage than the original offer & it was worth the 7th to make the trade before Welker officially signed anything.  

Miami did not want to lose Welker, but NE gave them virtually no chance to keep him.   https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-2007-03-06-0703060554-story.html

The Patriots were nearly as relentless in their pursuit of Welker, whom they acquired from the now Saban-less Dolphins Monday in exchange for second- and seventh-round picks in the April draft. Welker, a three-year veteran, was a restricted free agent the Dolphins had tendered at $1.3 million for 2007. But the Patriots, enamored of Welker's toughness and versatility, reportedly said they were prepared to give him a five-year, $37 million deal.

Knowing that they were in no position to match that, the Dolphins accepted a seventh-round pick as a sweetener and traded Welker to the Patriots outright rather than deal with the uncertainty and seven-day waiting period that restricted free agents must undergo after signing an offer sheet.

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

What I'm saying is, I expect someone who is on the radio to know more than the public.  If he doesn't, get someone who does.  That's not me, I'm not qualified to be on the radio, but neither is Chris Brown.  

I'm 65. 

That's somewhat of a fair point.  The world has devolved to where we forget what it is to require a good knowledge base of the opinionaters.   Go study the FCC act of 1996 and write your representatives.  

16 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

As a restricted free agent they were already going to have to give a 2nd rounder, and because of the poison pill Miami couldn't stop it. But to make it easier all around, or whatever the reason, they threw in a 7th to go with it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think you're being a little too hard on him.

That Welker scenario happened 12 seasons ago.  He covers the Bills, not the division.  If this Welker thing happened in the last year or two...then yeah probably should be fresh enough to retain.  12 years though?

I'm 37, I don't know Cook's story.  He was before my time.

He covers the Bills but he should be current on NFL news....I'm ok with not recalling details from many years ago 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

He covers the Bills but he should be current on NFL news....I'm ok with not recalling details from many years ago 

I 100% agree with this.  Which is why if he didn't know something in the AFC East that happened in the last year or so...that's bad.

12 years ago?  That's being a little too critical IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

What I'm saying is, I expect someone who is on the radio to know more than the public.  If he doesn't, get someone who does.  That's not me, I'm not qualified to be on the radio, but neither is Chris Brown.  

I'm 65. 

Even John Clayton gets random irrelevant things wrong every now and then. And he is one of the more respected NFL reporters. That being said, 30 years from now, when I am 65 years old, I don't expect many people to remember names like Robert Griffin, or Teddy Bridgewater. I don't even care if they are hosting a radio show about the NFL or not.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Astros product with high reviews. If they can stay in last and get the number 1 pick again (and they are trying like hell to) in a few years they should be competitive again. Thanks for thinking of me!

There's always the Yankees, Mike.

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He's been with Tasker on the radio this week & I'm surprised by his lack of knowledge. 

Yesterday he talked about how Miami traded Wes Welker to NE & expressed astonishment that they would trade him in the division.  What he obviously had no knowledge of is the fact Welker was a restricted free agent & had agreed to terms with NE on a contract with a poison pill that would make it impossible for Miami to match.  Because the contract wasn't signed the fact that NE had Miami over a barrel is somewhat obscured because Welker signed a new contract with NE after the trade, but anyone who covers a team in the division should know this.  

Then today they were talking about players whose careers were cut short by injury.  Brown didn't even know what position Greg Cook played.  Greg Cook's story is well known by just about anyone who knows NFL history.  Once again, maybe acceptable for casual or younger fans, but for a guy who covers the NFL for a living, pretty bad.  

Two things:

1) You have never made a mistake?

2) Who is Greg Cook

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Two things:

1) You have never made a mistake?

2) Who is Greg Cook

1) I've never gone on the air unprepared & uninformed. I know better than to be on the radio.  If I got paid for going on the air, I'd do my homework & not sound like a fool.  

2) The poster boy for how to ruin a potential HOF career.  He wasn't JAG, he had superstar potential but back in the late 60's early 70s sports medicine wasn't anywhere like today and he never reached his potential.   https://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/1/27/2752262/cincinnati-bengals-university-cincinnati-bearcats-greg-cook-died

"Greg was the single most talented player we’ve ever had with the Bengals," said Bengals president Mike Brown. "His career was tragically short due to the injury. Had he been able to stay healthy, I believe he would have been the player of his era in the NFL.

https://thegruelingtruth.com/football/greg-cook-he-could-have-been-the-greatest-ever/

Bill Walsh called Cook “the most talented quarterback he had ever seen” 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I 100% agree with this.  Which is why if he didn't know something in the AFC East that happened in the last year or so...that's bad.

12 years ago?  That's being a little too critical IMO.

...well shouldn't we discuss his parenting skills like Andy as long as we're getting hypercritical?....go figure...........

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Then today they were talking about players whose careers were cut short by injury.  Brown didn't even know what position Greg Cook played.  Greg Cook's story is well known by just about anyone who knows NFL history.  Once again, maybe acceptable for casual or younger fans, but for a guy who covers the NFL for a living, pretty bad.  

You expect him to remember every detail of every player move? especially from a non Bills team? Wow you should get a grip and pick a better way to discredit Chris Brown. Brownie is very knowledgeable and not remember specifics of a Welker Deal or what position Greg Cook played is obsurd. Hell there have been 3 or 4 Greg Cooks in the NFL. 

Geeez..You can surely tell when its off season..